Yonder DFA'd

Sleepy Harold

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Palka is awful. Amazing how many sox fans still think he is worthy of a mlb roster spot 

There aren't many guys who aren't worthy of this particular MLB roster. Palka's at least fun bad

Edited by mqr

26 minutes ago, jamesdiego said:

You need a strong arm for SS though.  Sometimes needing to make throws while going away from first base.  I don’t think Yolmer has that arm to play there for longer than emergencies.  Garcia and Rondon have strong enough arms.   

Not saying its ideal, but I'd rather see Yolmer at SS than Rondon, or Leury at SS and Jay in CF...

Edited by SouthWallace

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm so in your head you're bringing me up in thread's I'm not even involved in. You're a grown ass man too. Probably with kids and shit. Get yourself together, ya weirdo. 

You post replies like this and someone else is the weirdo? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

About damn time. Get Palka back up here too. 

Garcia, CF

Moncada, 3B

Jimenez, LF

Abreu, 1B

McCann, C

Collins, DH

Anderson, SS

Palka, RF

Sanchez, 2B

I want to see that lineup with Castillo, Cordell, and Jay on the bench.

Palka and Jimenez would be a disaster in the same outfield.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The timing is wrong given the PR hit they are going to take because of the charity event (much like when the had Carlton Fisk travel with the team to Cleveland then released him right before the game sending out a fax to the media) but it absolutely is the right thing to do. The guy is terrible and another organizational failure.

But given the White Sox luck watch some other team pick him up and he'll start hitting. 

Some National League team will pick him up, IMO. See if they can get some quality AB's out of him as a pinch hitter vs RHP. Give him some starts in platoon spots. 

Then yeah... he'll probably wind-up with two pinch hit HR's in the world series or something. 😉

23 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Not saying its ideal, but I'd rather see Yolmer at SS than Rondon, or Leury at SS and Jay in CF...

Sox probably put Cordell at CF.  I could see them just have Garcia SS, Rondon 3b and Yolmer at 2nd.  Call up Goins to back up   

If Mendick can play SS I wouldn’t mind him come up to see what he can do.  Even if he can’t play SS well they could stick him at 3b  and put Rondon at SS, Garcia back to CF.  

3 minutes ago, Richie said:

Some National League team will pick him up, IMO. See if they can get some quality AB's out of him as a pinch hitter vs RHP. Give him some starts in platoon spots. 

Then yeah... he'll probably wind-up with two pinch hit HR's in the world series or something. 😉

I doubt any world series caliber team has a spot for Alonso.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Palka is awful. Amazing how many sox fans still think he is worthy of a mlb roster spot 

He's more worthy than Alonso right now. Hell, Cordell and Tilson aren't worthy of an MLB roster spot either. It's not like any positional candidates to come up are worthy to begin with, but someone has to. 

2 minutes ago, Richie said:

He's more worthy than Alonso right now. Hell, Cordell and Tilson aren't worthy of an MLB roster spot either. It's not like any positional candidates to come up are worthy to begin with, but someone has to. 

More worthy than Alonso is not a qualification IMO.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

I doubt any world series caliber team has a spot for Alonso.

Yeah, definitely doubtful - barring a sudden injury to an every day first baseman for a team like that. He'll go somewhere, though.

And yeah, based on the rebuild being exactly where it's supposed to be despite injuries to Kopech, Rodon, Dunning, Hansen, Burdi, Hamilton, Adolfo, Basabe, Lambert, Burger and a few others kind of shows that Hahn might know what he's doing. He absolutely fleeced the Cubs and Nationals and we still have a shitload of money to spend. I know, it doesn't fit the Soxtalk narrative though. 

The Soxtalk narrative is don’t tell us how well a so-called rebuild is going, or how flush ownership is with money to spend.  Tell us when a sustainable winning product has been put on the field by this franchise, the only major market team in the weakest division in baseball.  That’s what we’re interested in.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

The Soxtalk narrative is don’t tell us how well a so-called rebuild is going, or how flush ownership is with money to spend.  Tell us when a sustainable winning product has been put on the field by this franchise, the only major market team in the weakest division in baseball.  That’s what we’re interested in.  

Exactly.  And the White Sox narrative is to not spend big cash on top free agent talent so get back to me when it actually happens.  Ownership being flush with money to spend does not equal money spent.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

And yeah, based on the rebuild being exactly where it's supposed to be despite injuries to Kopech, Rodon, Dunning, Hansen, Burdi, Hamilton, Adolfo, Basabe, Lambert, Burger and a few others kind of shows that Hahn might know what he's doing. He absolutely fleeced the Cubs and Nationals and we still have a shitload of money to spend. I know, it doesn't fit the Soxtalk narrative though. 

We spent money this offseason and ended up with a 0 fWAR net return with all the new players that came onboard.

That list, not including Giolito...is now six starting pitchers deep with TJS in their histories.  Last year, the rebuild was derailed by an injury to just one of them, which shouldn’t happen with all the talent we’ve had to trade and a series of higher first round draft picks.

Eaton is not a clear fleecing until Giolito or Lopez go on to sustained run of success for two seasons or sign an extension.  Because at this point, with the uncertainty moving forward with Lopez, you simply filled one hole in the starting rotation but created an equally big one in RF.  You need to get at least 2/3 of those pitchers as dependable rotation members first.

Money/flexibility only matters if it’s spent wisely, and Abreu/Tatis/Robert all were largely scouting coups for Paddy/KW. Fwiw, Tatis, Sr., was practically begging the White Sox not to trade his son and already predicting how much more he would fill out.

So even if Robert becomes a five tool superstar and stays healthy, we’ve missed out on or or traded two back to the NL.  We also failed to exploit the Robert class with our unprecedented financial flexibility (to bring in a plethora of fellow international signees simultaneously) in order to cushion the pressure on the rotation with future depth and we still have YET to sign a legit impact FA for more than $75 million...

And then a dismal track record with FA signings, regardless of the opportunity cost/money allocated.

The only thing that continues to protect him is JR and the penurious ways of our fellow AL Central competitors...in almost any other division, anything but a Wild Card would be next to impossible with our ongoing pitching woes.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think most people know he is nothing though. Just would rather see him in the lineup instead of Alonso. Now, when Beef comes back, he should go since Collins and Abreu should split 1B and DH.

10 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think most people know he is nothing though. Just would rather see him in the lineup instead of Alonso. Now, when Beef comes back, he should go since Collins and Abreu should split 1B and DH.

Don’t just assume they won’t play him in RF.

Edited by caulfield12

20 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Exactly.  And the White Sox narrative is to not spend big cash on top free agent talent so get back to me when it actually happens.  Ownership being flush with money to spend does not equal money spent.

Not spending money on big free agents is not a much of a fault as not being able to draft and develop players in my opinion. If they never spent on big FA but developed their own I would be happy.

This is why I'm not as down on this FO ad others. Since the changed philosophy and not signed mid tier FA and truly started to build from within, there has been some good results. Now they just need to prove it in the MLB.

Just now, ptatc said:

Not spending money on big free agents is not a much of a fault as not being able to draft and develop players in my opinion. If they never spent on big FA but developed their own I would be happy.

This is why I'm not as down on this FO ad others. Since the changed philosophy and not signed mid tier FA and truly started to build from within, there has been some good results. Now they just need to prove it in the MLB.

Yes, because instead signing bottom tier FA’s worked even better?

Unless we sign Cole, Rendon, Ozuna or Grandal...we will be signing mid-tier FA’s again this offseason.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Richie said:

Maybe he winds up with Manny and the Padres????? 😂

And look I get those who are saying, screw it, let him go now, event be damned...we need somebody to help this weekend.

Again I understand completely.

But I'm also suggesting that given it is three games in a season where the Sox aren't going anywhere and won't even have a winning record does it REALLY make a difference? Weighing that against the fact that while he was terrible why embarrass the guy needlessly before his big event...Monday wouldn't do? AND given the fact that the media in many cases LOVES to hammer the Sox at every chance, why open the door for them? To say nothing about how this may all play out in the future with other potential free agents / acquisitions. It could generate a lot of bad play. 

Understand it many not at all...who knows for sure. I hope the Sox considered all these things before making their decision.

That being said he needed to be let go and it is another black mark against Hahn and the people advising him in the organization who scout Major League players.

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I haven't read this entire thread, but it seems logical to me that Palka replaces Alonso, to share first base and DH with Abreu. They won't bring him up to play the outfield.

That’s what Collins is for. They aren’t bringing Palka up to take Collins DH at bats against RHP. If Palka comes up, it’s as the RF and occasional DH until Tim comes back. 

Edited by ChiSox59

46 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I truly believe we'll be "Getting back to you this offseason." 

I don't feel like running through the numbers again, but I remember there have been several times in the last 15 years or so that the sox payroll has been in the top 10 in baseball. So while they haven't spent the money on the top free agents, they have indeed spent money. With all the home grown, young, cost controlled talent on this team now is the time I think they can and will spend big on top guys. We saw last year a willingness to spend big time money and it just didn't work out. I think they'll look to be even more aggressive this offseason. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That’s what Collins is for. They aren’t bringing Palka up to take Collins DH at bats against RHP. If Palka comes up, it’s as the RF and occasional DH until Tim comes back. 

I will be very surprised if the Sox use Collins as the DH, for any extended length of time. He needs to be catching, to develop his defensive skills, unless they have decided to abandon the idea of using him as a catcher.

• bmags unpinned this topic
  • Quin pinned, unpinned and locked this topic