Yonder DFA'd

Sleepy Harold

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's his range on anything not hit right at him that's the problem.  His picks are fine.  In his prime, Konerko could actually make the play down the line as well.  Jose cannot.  Collins should be able to react quite a bit quicker, especially getting off the bag when he's holding someone on and diving to his left on shots down the line.

Yeah, Jose is so un-good on shots to his left that they seem like clean hits when it's merely because he is sloth-like on shots to his left. I concede I have seen some of those hits blaze by him.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

I agree, I haven't seen any indication that the organization has given up on him being a catcher, however ChiSox59 is convinced that he will never stick behind the plate. at least full time.

Collins better become good enough defensively to stick behind the plate, even if only as a backup, because he doesn't hit well enough to be a full time DH.  After all, a DH is supposed to be a good hitter. 

5 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Palka is awful. Amazing how many sox fans still think he is worthy of a mlb roster spot 

Why does this amaze you ? The starting pitching sucks, Fans realize that the only way to win is to out hit the opponent . He might suck but he probably won't be Alonso bad at hitting and may actually hit a few out in the process.

4 hours ago, Fan O'Faust said:

The Soxtalk narrative is don’t tell us how well a so-called rebuild is going, or how flush ownership is with money to spend.  Tell us when a sustainable winning product has been put on the field by this franchise, the only major market team in the weakest division in baseball.  That’s what we’re interested in.  

This is something I don't think about very often but you are right. When the divisions were realigned in 1994 the Sox were geographically surrounded by teams not really known for large payrolls.. Detroit yes, the rest not so much. The Sox have not taken advantage of that

Since 94 the Indians have won the division 8 times, Twins 6 , Tigers 4 , White Sox 3, Royals once. Twins, Indians Tigers and Royals have each won the WC once, White Sox 0. Every team has made the playoffs in consecutive years except the White Sox. On the positive side  since 94 the Central has won 2 World Series  by the Sox and Royals.  I guess the Sox not are really known to spend much money either acting more like a mid market team than a big market team. Maybe that's what we are since we share the city but not winning very often really means we just gave away the city to the Cubs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lillian said:

I agree, I haven't seen any indication that the organization has given up on him being a catcher, however ChiSox59 is convinced that he will never stick behind the plate. at least full time.

I’m not saying abandon him as a catcher completely. But McCann is the far superior catcher and Collins bat could be used at DH frequently now that Alonso is out of the way. Let him catch 1-2 days a week and DH against RHP. I suspect that is what we’ll see moving forward. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I’m not saying abandon him as a catcher completely. But McCann is the far superior catcher and Collins bat could be used at DH frequently now that Alonso is out of the way. Let him catch 1-2 days a week and DH against RHP. I suspect that is what we’ll see moving forward. 

Unfortunately, with that swing, the only way he will ever get going is with consistent playing time...

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

SSS tonight is tweeting this move should have been made at worst when Collins was brought up.

Most of us don't really care when it was made, only that it was made. If he didn't want to be DFA'd near the time of his charity event he could've hit better. He got paid handsomely enough that he can afford to sponsor a charity event and it's probably a nice little tax write off that guys making $9M/year do. He couldn't recruit Machado and while that failure ultimately falls on the FO he also couldn't hit. Good luck wherever you end up. Mr. Alonso.

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Most of us don't really care when it was made, only that it was made. If he didn't want to be DFA'd near the time of his charity event he could've hit better. He got paid handsomely enough that he can afford to sponsor a charity event and it's probably a nice little tax write off that guys making $9M/year do. He couldn't recruit Machado and while that failure ultimately falls on the FO he also couldn't hit. Good luck wherever you end up. Mr. Alonso.

Yes. He can blame his brother in law that he is unemployed.  If Machado was here, the Sox don't cut Alonzo.

6 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Maybe he winds up with Manny and the Padres????? 😂

And look I get those who are saying, screw it, let him go now, event be damned...we need somebody to help this weekend.

Again I understand completely.

But I'm also suggesting that given it is three games in a season where the Sox aren't going anywhere and won't even have a winning record does it REALLY make a difference? Weighing that against the fact that while he was terrible why embarrass the guy needlessly before his big event...Monday wouldn't do? AND given the fact that the media in many cases LOVES to hammer the Sox at every chance, why open the door for them? To say nothing about how this may all play out in the future with other potential free agents / acquisitions. It could generate a lot of bad play. 

Understand it many not at all...who knows for sure. I hope the Sox considered all these things before making their decision.

That being said he needed to be let go and it is another black mark against Hahn and the people advising him in the organization who scout Major League players.

I don't think this is something people will remember come the off-season. It's a sh*tty thing to do, but will anyone REALLY be thinking about this over the winter? Will it make a player who otherwise wants to sign here go elsewhere? Nah. 

It wouldn't have made a difference. Maybe we should have let him stay the weekend, but who knows their reasoning? I'm sure they were aware of it. 

Eh well... good riddance to that guy. Horrible. 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Yes. He can blame his brother in law that he is unemployed.  If Machado was here, the Sox don't cut Alonzo.

I don't know... 

There's only so much an organization can take. Alonso had hit that threshold. Maybe a little more leeway if Machado is here, but there's still a fine line when you're killing a team. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Richie said:

I don't know... 

There's only so much an organization can take. Alonso had hit that threshold. Maybe a little more leeway if Machado is here, but there's still a fine line when you're killing a team. 

Along with a manager that had him bat 4th.

8 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Does catching once, or twice a week provide enough experience for his development? Having McCann there to mentor him is a plus, however catching so infrequently seems like a poor way to develop the skills required. Therefore, while having the opportunity to see Major League pitching might improve his hitting, catching so little will probably inhibit his defensive improvement. Maybe the question is; which is more important? I don't know the answer, but most seem to think that the part of his game that needs the most work is his catching. If that is the case, then he should probably be back in AAA, because the Sox are certainly not going to give him the primary catching duties, with McCann there.

Edited by Lillian

13 hours ago, ptatc said:

Not spending money on big free agents is not a much of a fault as not being able to draft and develop players in my opinion. If they never spent on big FA but developed their own I would be happy.

This is why I'm not as down on this FO ad others. Since the changed philosophy and not signed mid tier FA and truly started to build from within, there has been some good results. Now they just need to prove it in the MLB.

But even teams like the Astros, Red Sox and Yankees who have gotten solid results from their farm system spent in FA. Boston, for example  churns out positional players but they have 1 home grown starting pitcher who is 5th in their rotation.   

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Collins better become good enough defensively to stick behind the plate, even if only as a backup, because he doesn't hit well enough to be a full time DH.  After all, a DH is supposed to be a good hitter. 

How do you know this? Hes had 11 at bats.....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Read the post dude. 

Yes, and that’s my salient observation.  If he’s not playing 75-80% of the time, he’s going to go into a terrible funk that will be difficult to extricate himself from at the big league level...his swing is just way too long and has too many moving parts.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yes, and that’s my salient observation.  If he’s not playing 75-80% of the time, he’s going to go into a terrible funk that will be difficult to extricate himself from at the big league level...his swing is just way too long and has too many moving parts.

He saying read the post because he wasn't inferring that Collins get benched 75-80 percent of the time.  

• Thanks 1

• bmags unpinned this topic
  • Quin pinned, unpinned and locked this topic