Yonder DFA'd

Sleepy Harold

7 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Sure, because you say so. 

Heyward is about a 1.4 WAR. And who cares about his money? My point is people shit on Heyward because of his contract which is fine. My point is the Cubs aren't devastated as he still provides value to them and they have a great team around him. And I said he wasnt better than McCann or Moncada. I also said an argument could be made for Anderson, not a strong argument, but his good center field defense could be a preference depending on your teams needs. Having a great team makes bad FA contracts a lot easier to stomach, which was the main discussion. 

Dude Look at Heywards OPS over the last few years... 

Yeah his ops might be sitting okay at the moment.. but he isn't historically a good hitter.

He is also almost 30 years old.

He wouldn't be the 3rd best player on our team... He is the embodiment of yonder Alonzo in the form of an outfielder.

17 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

Dude Look at Heywards OPS over the last few years... 

Yeah his ops might be sitting okay at the moment.. but he isn't historically a good hitter.

He is also almost 30 years old.

He wouldn't be the 3rd best player on our team... He is the embodiment of yonder Alonzo in the form of an outfielder.

Hence why I said as of now and not over the years or in the future. Let's not get offended by a simple point. The point is, we can overcome a bad contract if we have a talented roster, thus we shouldn't be afraid to go big while our guys are cheap.  And yes, right now he'd be a top player on our team. Hopefully next year he won't be. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Hence why I said as of now and not over the years or in the future. Let's not get offended by a simple point. The point is, we can overcome a bad contract if we have a talented roster, thus we shouldn't be afraid to go big while our guys are cheap.  And yes, right now he'd be a top player on our team. Hopefully next year he won't be. 

Not offended... just don't think he would be the 3rd best player on the team.

21 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

But Boston remains a great, great example of the issue. Would you be ok with Boston's performance in Free Agency? Remember the year the White Sox came away with LaRoche, Samardzija and Company? Boston and the White Sox were the 2 teams that supposedly won that offseason. Boston did so by signing Pablo Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez to $185 million worth of contracts. They hated those contracts. Frankly, David Price and Rick Porcello in their rotation have been ok to good, but they've struggled to live up to their contracts as well. Boston had some contracts work (JD Martinez), but free agency was a supporting role, not a driving force. 

You can say the same thing about most good teams. The Astros have been more effective than most other teams because of the quality of their front office, but even then they signed a washed up Carlos Beltran to DH in their world series year. The Cubs have Heyward and Edwin Jackson as their FA crap stories. 

Every one of these teams has gotten where they are because they've drafted and developed. They have spent some in free agency, but each time it has been a supporting role. If your team is a 95 win team on its own and it's missing a #3 starter and a right fielder that's ok, you can fill those roles in FA and if a guy busts, you're still a 95 win team. If your team is a 75 win team and you go into free agency thinking you're going to convert them into division champions, you wind up with the 2015/2016 White Sox. 

Draft and trades is where the core players need to come from.  FA can fill in the gaps.  Trying to buy your team is prohibitively expensive.

22 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

But Boston remains a great, great example of the issue. Would you be ok with Boston's performance in Free Agency? Remember the year the White Sox came away with LaRoche, Samardzija and Company? Boston and the White Sox were the 2 teams that supposedly won that offseason. Boston did so by signing Pablo Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez to $185 million worth of contracts. They hated those contracts. Frankly, David Price and Rick Porcello in their rotation have been ok to good, but they've struggled to live up to their contracts as well. Boston had some contracts work (JD Martinez), but free agency was a supporting role, not a driving force. 

You can say the same thing about most good teams. The Astros have been more effective than most other teams because of the quality of their front office, but even then they signed a washed up Carlos Beltran to DH in their world series year. The Cubs have Heyward and Edwin Jackson as their FA crap stories. 

Every one of these teams has gotten where they are because they've drafted and developed. They have spent some in free agency, but each time it has been a supporting role. If your team is a 95 win team on its own and it's missing a #3 starter and a right fielder that's ok, you can fill those roles in FA and if a guy busts, you're still a 95 win team. If your team is a 75 win team and you go into free agency thinking you're going to convert them into division champions, you wind up with the 2015/2016 White Sox. 

Balta: I think you missed my point. You have to combine players promoted from your farm team w either FA and/or trades. My point about Boston is they obviously have a flaw in developing pitching prospects. So they went out and basically traded/bought a rotation. The Yankees have had a great stretch of bringing up talent. But they also then plug holes outside their organization.  Both systems have flaws.  For every Bertran, Sandoval, Heyward etc. there is a long line of Top 10 Draft picks that have fizzled. 

The Twins are a great story because they are winning w/o going after the top tier FA. But we will see how long they can sustain it. Teams like Boston and New York just "write off" top tier mistakes and find a replacement.  

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I need an interpreter , What's it supposed to mean. Did 80's Day replace Mullet Day ? When is that day ? Is it supposed to be the day Santiago is on the 25 again ?

I am pretty sure it is a photo from last season.

As one of those, who has been clamouring the loudest for Hahn to DFA Alonso, I'm satisfied that he is finally gone. Nevertheless, I don't think it's entirely fair to fault Hahn. Yonder is not old enough to have completely lost his ability to hit a baseball. If he had performed somewhere near his previous two seasons, he could have helped this young club. Ironically, many of the same people who "rag" on Palka, think that Hahn is an idiot for signing Alonso. Who else was going to provide a little balance to the lineup, from the left side? Harper would have been the best option, but that's "water under the bridge". Brantley would have been another option, to fill the left handed hitting void, but only being serviceable in LF, he would have blocked Eloy, I had hopes that Alonso would be a serviceable DH and back up first baseman. I don't see how anyone could have realistically anticipated that he would suddenly become the worst hitter in the League. 

Edited by Lillian

16 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Dude I totally get your point and agree.  That’s why I was saying Harper was the better fit, even if he wasn’t worth the contract.  We look to be an outfielder short for next year.  The rest of the spots are filled.   

I won’t pile on with more “he wouldn’t be the exact, technically 3rd best player on our team.  How dare you!” talk.   

37 minutes ago, Lillian said:

As one of those, who has been clamouring the loudest for Hahn to DFA Alonso, I'm satisfied that he is finally gone. Nevertheless, I don't think it's entirely fair to fault Hahn. Yonder is not old enough to have completely lost his ability to hit a baseball. If he had performed somewhere near his previous two seasons, he could have helped this young club. Ironically, many of the same people who "rag" on Palka, think that Hahn is an idiot for signing Alonso. Who else was going to provide a little balance to the lineup, from the left side? Harper would have been the best option, but that's "water under the bridge". Brantley would have been another option, to fill the left handed hitting void, but only being serviceable in LF, he would have blocked Eloy, I had hopes that Alonso would be a serviceable DH and back up first baseman. I don't see how anyone could have realistically anticipated that he would suddenly become the worst hitter in the League. 

I forgot Moustakas. He would have been a good choice, but then his sister wasn't married to Machado. I'm sorry, I'll stop. I promise.

Yesterday Jim Margalus answered a question of mine about this entire farce situation, here is what he said:

"In this case, I think Alonso is more the case of coming up short on an NBA-style recruitment strategy over pro scouting issues. I don't think they'd have had any interest in Alonso without Machado ties."

"That said, they painted themselves into a corner by having to pretend it was for baseball reasons, because it looks no different from so many moves made with earnest intent to solve roster issues that flopped hard."  

• Like 1

It's funny how the Sox wasted all that money in the offseason and it doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. It's all monopoly money, but I sure would love them to give the fans 1 or 2 million instead of those stiffs they signed. It's like grabbing millions of dollars and just throwing it in the shredder. They should have just taken a couple million and paid the corned beef stand owner and said give out free sandwiches all season, or for a few months til the money ran out.

Alonso, Jay, the starting pitcher whose name I already forgot (that old stiff who got lit up), and Nova who is also sub-par to lousy. That's why the Sox falling short in their bid for Manny (whom I did not want) is so silly. All that money they spent on stiffs could have been added to the Manny offer.

To be honest I did not want Manny because of all his antics. I wanted Harper.

Anybody gonna pick up Alonso? Will he report to the minors? He was designated for assignment.

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Yesterday Jim Margalus answered a question of mine about this entire farce situation, here is what he said:

"In this case, I think Alonso is more the case of coming up short on an NBA-style recruitment strategy over pro scouting issues. I don't think they'd have had any interest in Alonso without Machado ties."

"That said, they painted themselves into a corner by having to pretend it was for baseball reasons, because it looks no different from so many moves made with earnest intent to solve roster issues that flopped hard."  

This really isn't news is it? Everyone pretty much knew this when he was acquired.

• bmags unpinned this topic
  • Quin pinned, unpinned and locked this topic