Yonder DFA'd

Sleepy Harold

9 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I will be very surprised if the Sox use Collins as the DH, for any extended length of time. He needs to be catching, to develop his defensive skills, unless they have decided to abandon the idea of using him as a catcher.

Prepare to be surprised. Collins is never going to be an everyday catcher. 

25 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I haven't read this entire thread, but it seems logical to me that Palka replaces Alonso, to share first base and DH with Abreu. They won't bring him up to play the outfield.

Has Palka play any first base?

40 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yes, because instead signing bottom tier FA’s worked even better?

Unless we sign Cole, Rendon, Ozuna or Grandal...we will be signing mid-tier FA’s again this offseason.

That's my point. It wasn't working thus go young and through the system.

I really don't see them needing much this off season as far as big FA. The primary asset they need is a starting pitcher. However, i agree with JR on this, I'm very wary of signing any FA starting pitcher to a long term deal. This is why the progress of Giolito this year and Cease and Kopech next year is essential. This way they only need a mid-tier pitcher for the back of the rotation.

Approximately 30% of Palka's 600 career Minor League games have been at first base, according to what I have read. First base was also his primary position at Georgia Tech.

Edited by Lillian

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

We spent money this offseason and ended up with a 0 fWAR net return with all the new players that came onboard.

That list, not including Giolito...is now six starting pitchers deep with TJS in their histories.  Last year, the rebuild was derailed by an injury to just one of them, which shouldn’t happen with all the talent we’ve had to trade and a series of higher first round draft picks.

Eaton is not a clear fleecing until Giolito or Lopez go on to sustained run of success for two seasons or sign an extension.  Because at this point, with the uncertainty moving forward with Lopez, you simply filled one hole in the starting rotation but created an equally big one in RF.  You need to get at least 2/3 of those pitchers as dependable rotation members first.

Money/flexibility only matters if it’s spent wisely, and Abreu/Tatis/Robert all were largely scouting coups for Paddy/KW. Fwiw, Tatis, Sr., was practically begging the White Sox not to trade his son and already predicting how much more he would fill out.

So even if Robert becomes a five tool superstar and stays healthy, we’ve missed out on or or traded two back to the NL.  We also failed to exploit the Robert class with our unprecedented financial flexibility (to bring in a plethora of fellow international signees simultaneously) in order to cushion the pressure on the rotation with future depth and we still have YET to sign a legit impact FA for more than $75 million...

And then a dismal track record with FA signings, regardless of the opportunity cost/money allocated.

The only thing that continues to protect him is JR and the penurious ways of our fellow AL Central competitors...in almost any other division, anything but a Wild Card would be next to impossible with our ongoing pitching woes.

Your facts and reality are not welcomed, you dissenter. We must applaud the effort for trying even if the results never come. We must be happy if our Sox end up like the 20 years and running rebuilding bulls. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With both Anderson and Moncada  out I can't help wonder if Madrigal is going to get the call.  With Garcia playing short...maybe Robert gets brought up also.  Sure would make games more interesting.  Might as well bring up Cease and get it over with.  Just a thought...I know the arguments against these moves.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't know whether, or not, Collins will ever be an everyday catcher, but I would be equally skeptical of his being used as a DH, as part of this team's future. Vaughn is most likely going to be the future every day first baseman. Therefore, if Collins can't catch, he probably has little future on the Sox. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, poppysox said:

With both Anderson and Moncada  out I can't help wonder if Madrigal is going to get the call.  With Garcia playing short...maybe Robert gets brought up also.  Sure would make games more interesting.  Might as well bring up Cease and get it over with.  Just a thought...I know the arguments against these moves.

I might be talked into this but won’t in any way be sad if it very likely won’t happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

I will be very surprised if the Sox use Collins as the DH, for any extended length of time. He needs to be catching, to develop his defensive skills, unless they have decided to abandon the idea of using him as a catcher.

No reason to abandon the catcher option.  He has looked fairly decent behind the plate IMO.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

No reason to abandon the catcher option.  He has looked fairly decent behind the plate IMO.

I agree, I haven't seen any indication that the organization has given up on him being a catcher, however ChiSox59 is convinced that he will never stick behind the plate. at least full time.

42 minutes ago, poppysox said:

lol no.  Madrigal has about 70 PA above A ball.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He should be stealing AB from Jay and Cordell but we know that won't happen.

Palka cannot be allowed to play the outfield again. That was an embarrassment to the franchise and cost our pitchers dearly

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

You should prepare to be surprised. Not everybody can DH. The DH is the worst possible defender. Collins may be subpar catcher, but welcome to your CATCHER of the future, not DH. And I hate to tell those who are worried about defense ... Eloy is your LEFTFIELDER not DH for a long time to come.

GO SOX!

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Fegan said that Collins was taking reps at 1B every day in Boston, and the plan seems to be to catch him once or twice a week and have him 1B/DH the rest of the time.

Has he played any 1B? Just asking cause greg HATES when we immediately put guys at positions they haven't played. I mean even if Collins blows I want him to catch. Sorry James.

Just now, greg775 said:

Has he played any 1B? Just asking cause greg HATES when we immediately put guys at positions they haven't played. I mean even if Collins blows I want him to catch. Sorry James.

You've been watching Jose Abreu for half a decade.  Trust me, Collins will seem like prime Konerko.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You've been watching Jose Abreu for half a decade.  Trust me, Collins will seem like prime Konerko.

Chitown... Believe it or not, I've shut up about Jose's defense because seriously, in the games I watch (I don't watch that many games ever since we've stunk) Jose is always digging throws quite cleanly. I realize he blows on defense, but in the games I watch, he's always digging cleanly. I've shut up even though my eyetest has treated Jose well defensively.

Edited by greg775

Just now, greg775 said:

Chitown... Believe it or not, I've shut up about Jose's defense because seriously, in the games I watch (I don't watch that game since we've stunk) Jose is always digging throws quite cleanly. I realize he blows on defense, but in the games I watch, he's always digging cleanly. I've shut up even though my eyetest has treated Jose well defensively.

It's his range on anything not hit right at him that's the problem.  His picks are fine.  In his prime, Konerko could actually make the play down the line as well.  Jose cannot.  Collins should be able to react quite a bit quicker, especially getting off the bag when he's holding someone on and diving to his left on shots down the line.

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Fegan said that Collins was taking reps at 1B every day in Boston, and the plan seems to be to catch him once or twice a week and have him 1B/DH the rest of the time.

This sounds like the Schwarber plan before they moved him to LF full time.

17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That may be the plan, until Castillo returns. After that, I'd expect him to go back to Charlotte, where he can get more reps behind the plate. I don't think that the front office has stated what they intend to do, so none of us know. However, that's my guess. Of course, they could try to trade Castillo, or even DFA him.

Edited by Lillian

• bmags unpinned this topic
  • Quin pinned, unpinned and locked this topic