White Sox to Call Up Palka

DirtySox

2 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Too man 1B/DH/RF type of players on the roster right now IMO

They have three DH types who all have a different 'home' position, one of whom can only rarely DH. I don't think it's that bad.

8 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Meh..Play him strictly DH and not to the detriment of Collins DH ABs

That would mean that Palka never plays except for the rare day that Collins catches and you don't want McCann in the lineup as DH

• Like 1

Just now, Jake said:

That would mean that Palka never plays except for the rare day that Collins catches and you don't want McCann in the lineup as DH

Considering I don't really care for Palka to get ML ABs anymore, that'd be fine with me.

8 minutes ago, Jake said:

100% agreed

I think some of us forgot how bad Daniel Palka was and is....

Palka stinks. Quite a lot.

BUT

He's not an ever present reminder of a massive failure, at least provides the illusion of being someone you could dream on, and might hit a 600 foot bomb here and there. So bring em on. 

Edited by mqr

23 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

At this point, I don't even care if he plays RF. Just take him out late in the game and DH or sit him when Giolito or anyone else with future promise on this team starts.

This. 

Still think Leury in CF and Jay in RF is best, but if Palka is coming up, clearly Leury is playing SS most days, Jay in CF or RF, and Palka/Cordell sharing RF.  

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

Palka stinks. Quite a lot.

BUT

He's not an ever present reminder of a massive failure, at least provides the illusion of being someone you could dream on, and might hit a 600 foot bomb here and there. So bring em on. 

I'm not sure I understand all the hatred for Palka.  At 26 he had a .780 OPS in his first shot in the majors, hit 27 home runs in 3/4 of a season (120 games) and finished fifth in rookie of the year balloting.  He's a left handed hitter.  He dramatically improved his walk rate this year (n AAA and majors).  Yes he was terrible in 35 At bats this year in April in terrible weather...but then put up a .920 OPS in AAA.    I don't think he's a star but he sure seems worth another look.  

• Like 2

Well, this is it for Palka. His last chance. I don't know why the anti Palka people care? This is what most of the rebuild people want, to take a look at guys and in the process we find out if the guy can hit. If he can, add him to the core. If he can't, we lose and get a better draft pick. Who cares about defense? The Sox sure don't so why should you?

6 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I'm not sure I understand all the hatred for Palka.  At 26 he had a .780 OPS in his first shot in the majors, hit 27 home runs in 3/4 of a season (120 games) and finished fifth in rookie of the year balloting.  He's a left handed hitter.  He dramatically improved his walk rate this year (n AAA and majors).  Yes he was terrible in 35 At bats this year in April in terrible weather...but then put up a .920 OPS in AAA.    I don't think he's a star but he sure seems worth another look.  

His plate discipline numbers are horrid and his stint in AAA doesnt change that. He has no position - he is very literally one of the worst defensive players I've ever seen. 

He doesnt have a good hit tool. Hes not fast. His arm is dreadful.

He has one tool. One tool players dont belong in the big leagues.

6 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

I am very interested to see how RR spreads the ABs around.  But I foresee a lot of Collins sitting and or Palka in RF...

If we're going to sign McCann to a three-year extension, Collins' future logically doesn't seem so bright in a Sox uniform. He's not projecting to be a good nuff hitter to play 1B or DH is he? Thought not. Why not do the fabled flipping of McCann. Would please the fans as they always like to flip guys and if Collins is ready it's time for the Collins era. Collins is 24; he has to play.

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

His plate discipline numbers are horrid and his stint in AAA doesnt change that. He has no position - he is very literally one of the worst defensive players I've ever seen. 

I would prefer to see Mendick, keep Leury in CF and let Rondon/Sanchez share SS.  But outside of Mendick, there isn't anyone on the AAA roster that should be up here before Palka.  

I get not being a huge fan of Palka, but you take it to another level.  

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This year in 300 at bats he has 44 walks.  Through nearly 2500 minor league at bats he walked about 12% of the time.  Maybe last year...as a rookie figuring out the majors the first time...was the outlier.   He hit with near elite power.  Yes he's not a good outfielder but if he shows something again...and he's lefty...he could become a useful DH asset.  Sure way better than Alonso. 

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What is his one tool? He's had zero tools with us this year.