Futures Game Thread

Tnetennba

At what point do you think it makes sense to get Madrigal up to AAA? I think he's kinda the opposite of Robert in that I'd want him to get a decent number of ABs with the juiced ball to see if he can tweak his approach just a little bit to hit for more power. Whereas, I think Robert playing at a level and park that suppresses power is probably better for his development.

8 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

At what point do you think it makes sense to get Madrigal up to AAA? I think he's kinda the opposite of Robert in that I'd want him to get a decent number of ABs with the juiced ball to see if he can tweak his approach just a little bit to hit for more power. Whereas, I think Robert playing at a level and park that suppresses power is probably better for his development.

I like the idea of pushing Madrigal. He strikes me as the kind of player that will be consistently good at every level. That strike out rate alone shows advanced he is. Rarely getting overpowered, and constantly putting the ball in play is really impressive. I think if he went to Charlotte this year, or even Chicago, we would see him putting up some pretty consistent numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 4:11 PM, TomPickle said:

I feel like that is mostly going to be an offseason activity though anyway. I’m excited to see Madrigal up but I don’t know if there is a bad decision they can make. I don’t think keeping him in Bham is bad, I don’t think promoting him is bad. They have more data than us so I’ll leave them to it and hope they get it right.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

What's the reason for the hotel living? I was the GM of a Residence Inn by Marriott for half decade so I know every "tenant" (as I called them) has a different story.

Military "deployment" to support CBP along the US-Mexico border. I've been down here about a year and got a few months to go. It's not too bad- I drive home to DFW to see the family every couple of weeks, and the hotel pool has a bar, haha. Plus I like the work.

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

Military "deployment" to support CBP along the US-Mexico border. I've been down here about a year and got a few months to go. It's not too bad- I drive home to DFW to see the family every couple of weeks, and the hotel pool has a bar, haha. Plus I like the work.

Awesome. We had a family that checked in and the wife was pregnant. When they left the daughter was 3. It was fun having them around.

5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Awesome. We had a family that checked in and the wife was pregnant. When they left the daughter was 3. It was fun having them around.

Wow, that seems like it'd be rough but to each their own. I oversee a large area with Soldiers in several different cities. Some of them have kitchenettes in their rooms which makes me a bit jealous, because the hotel in my headquarters city doesn't, but I've gotten quite good preparing a variety of meals with my George Foreman. So it works out in the end, I suppose.

5 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Wow, that seems like it'd be rough but to each their own. I oversee a large area with Soldiers in several different cities. Some of them have kitchenettes in their rooms which makes me a bit jealous, because the hotel in my headquarters city doesn't, but I've gotten quite good preparing a variety of meals with my George Foreman. So it works out in the end, I suppose.

He was from the south and up for work with an environmental company. He used a Marriott credit card (and then his company reimbursed him) on top of his regular Marriott Rewards ID. By the time he checked out he had over 5,000,000 points which is good enough for about 270 nights at a decent downtown hotel somewhere. His room was 620 square feet with two king beds, a kitchenette and a fireplace. We also had free breakfast daily and a free dinner 3 nights a week.

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

He was from the south and up for work with an environmental company. He used a Marriott credit card (and then his company reimbursed him) on top of his regular Marriott Rewards ID. By the time he checked out he had over 5,000,000 points which is good enough for about 270 nights at a decent downtown hotel somewhere. His room was 620 square feet with two king beds, a kitchenette and a fireplace. We also had free breakfast daily and a free dinner 3 nights a week.

Well that's a pretty awesome deal if you can tolerate living like that. Similarly, the military makes you go through some shit, but it pays off. My kids just turned 2 and 4, and while it sucks being apart, we've been able to go to Hawaii, Florida, and Ireland because of this deployment's income. Speaking of which, did you go to London/Paris yet or is that still down the road?

3 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Well that's a pretty awesome deal if you can tolerate living like that. Similarly, the military makes you go through some shit, but it pays off. My kids just turned 2 and 4, and while it sucks being apart, we've been able to go to Hawaii, Florida, and Ireland because of this deployment's income. Speaking of which, did you go to London/Paris yet or is that still down the road?

I'm going in early October.

5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I'm going in early October.

Awesome, dude. Have fun! It's been a while, but my dad lived in London when I was a kid so I visited often enough. Let me know if you have questions.

• Heads22 changed the title to Futures Game Thread