The Acceptance Phase of James Shields and Tatis Jr.

hi8is

Alright folks... it’s taken me quite a while to reach the final phase of grief for this otherworldly loss.

Though, healing has finally occurred and I come to share with you my lasting insight.

Imagine another world where the Shields trade did not occur. Imagine in this world that we retained our talent and Tatis Jr.

In this world, we don’t suck completely and as such draft for guys like Madrigal and Vaughn.

We don’t trade for guys like Eloy, Kopech, Moncada, Cease, Giolito, Lopez, Dunning, etc.

We likely don’t sign Robert.

We more likely just keep buying old “on their way out” free agents and drafting between 15 - 20 while still missing out on the playoffs.

So... I will take Madrigal, Vaughn, Eloy, Kopech, Moncada, Cease, yada yada yada and accept losing out on “he who shall not be named.”

In closing, thank you Jamie Shields for helping us suck so hard that we are starting to see a bright future around the bend. Enjoy your retirement in San Diego... May we beat the Padres in 2021 for a World Series Championship.

PS... suck it James.

I mean, thank you James.

Edited by hi8is
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

39 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Alright folks... it’s taken me quite a while to reach the final phase of grief for this otherworldly loss.

Though, healing has finally occurred and I come to share with you my lasting insight.

Imagine another world where the Shields trade did not occur. Imagine in this world that we retained our talent and Tatis Jr.

In this world, we don’t suck completely and as such draft for guys like Madrigal and Vaughn.

We don’t trade for guys like Eloy, Kopech, Moncada, Cease, Giolito, Lopez, Dunning, etc.

We more likely just keep buying old “on their way out” free agents and drafting between 15 - 20 while still missing out on the playoffs.

So... I will take Madrigal, Vaughn, Eloy, Kopech, Moncada, Cease, yada yada yada and accept losing out on “he who shall not be named.”

In closing, thank you Jamie Shields for helping us suck so hard that we are starting to see a bright future around the bend. Enjoy your retirement in San Diego... May we beat the Padres in 2021 for a World Series Championship.

PS... suck it James.

I mean, thank you James.

If this team ever starts winning games I don't ever want to hear this dudes name again. 

FWIW I firmly believe he would be traded for someone else if not James Shields anyway.

Edited by mqr

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Tatis didn't come up til this year, so I don't think it changes much. I'm over the trade, but it helps if our young guys become good players. 

Without Big Game James, we wouldn’t have sucked as bad as we did from 2016 - 2018.

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

If this team ever starts winning games I don't ever want to hear this dudes name again. 

FWIW I firmly believe he would be traded for someone else if not James Shields anyway.

You sound like you’re stuck in the denial phase of grief... been there brother, been there.

6 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Without Big Game James, we wouldn’t have sucked as bad as we did from 2016 - 2018.

I think some other bum would have taken his place. It's possible we'd be a little better. But then again, if we didn't bring in James and sucked so much, maybe we don't do a full rebuild. 

Again, it's not that they traded him.  It's who they traded him for.  A guy that we should have never traded for and taken on his salary in the first place.  That's why myself and so many others have always hated this trade and shows that Hahn has literally no clue what he's doing. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hi8is said:

PS... suck it James.

I mean, thank you James.

ALL THAT JAZZ is one of my favorite movies.

12 hours ago, Jake said:

I'll be rooting against him until the bitter end

Good luck.  No acceptance from me.  Tatis Jr. now has a the following line:

.327 / .400 / .596 / .996

10 HR

26 RBI

12 SB

Basically, he is the franchise player Hahn was looking for last offseason but he costs nothing for the next 6 years.  Absolutely brutal.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Good luck.  No acceptance from me.  Tatis Jr. now has a the following line:

.327 / .400 / .596 / .996

10 HR

26 RBI

12 SB

Basically, he is the franchise player Hahn was looking for last offseason but he costs nothing for the next 6 years.  Absolutely brutal.

He really would look good in the Sox lineup with Eloy and Moncada. 

30 minutes ago, greg775 said:

He really would look good in the Sox lineup with Eloy and Moncada. 

I don’t think that to be a possibility. Without James aiding in our suckitude - I don’t believe we rebuild

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hi8is said:

I don’t think that to be a possibility. Without James aiding in our suckitude - I don’t believe we rebuild

I think we rebuild regardless. It is the current "thing to do" in sports and it assured Hahn year after year on the job. Losing is/was something to be celebrated which helps the GM's job status.

Don't get the idea I'm criticizing Hahn though. His acquisition of Eloy makes him a genius in my book. Eloy is that electric. If he stays healthy he's going to wind up with 30 home runs minimum.

8 errors now through though 47 games.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=19709&position=SS

Had his 11th homer and a double last night so OPS back over 1.000 through what amounts to 1/3rd of a season. Positive net fwar on defense, should be at 2.4 overall when updated.  I would guess on a prorated or per game basis he would also be first in defensive runs saved per game played.

If you look at minor league numbers, he has always been 340-370 for BABIP, but it at 430 right now.   

If you adjust that down, his OPS probably ends up much closer to 900 and a batting average in the 275-285 range.

That would still end up as close to a 7 fWAR player without missing five weeks, but this is his second consecutive year with a major injury.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/35983/fernando-tatis-jr

26 strikeouts in his last 20 games, so nearing the dreaded 30% there...but also 12 xbh, including five homers.  He’s not going to get 40/40 in homers and stolen bases, but 25/25 or 30/30 is a definite possibility.

Edited by caulfield12

18 hours ago, hi8is said:

I never believed that. The re-build was gonna happen.

And, Tatis had another big game yesterday.  His stats went even higher.  Hahn should have some accountability.  That's what we call it now.  At least a Mea Culpa.

3 minutes ago, oldsox said:

And, Tatis had another big game yesterday.  His stats went even higher.  Hahn should have some accountability.  That's what we call it now.  At least a Mea Culpa.

Didn’t Hahn refer to himself as a “dumbass” or “jackass” already on that front?

Even killing the Cubs on the Q deal, seeing a player with the five tools at SS to do everything on a diamond compared to Jimenez’s two tools can be painful.  About the only thing Hahn has done to hurt SD is make it even easier for Tatis to ask for $125-150 million to extend his contract through Year 7, since they already lost one year of control putting him on the OD roster.

Yeah this counterfactual doesn’t seem plausible. The team was already in freefall when they acquired him, and they acquired him because they didn’t have chips (so we thought) and money to get someone better.

But regardless, I’m glad we’ve moved past the phase where people had to act like tatis would fail and sucked

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

The Sox decided to rebuild within 6 weeks of Shields' acquisition.   Shields may been the tipping point, but only to the extent that it lifted the fog around the FO that they could compete with that roster.

It's really unfortunate that Hahn scorched the earth in June 2016 with the Shields trade,  drafting a reliever he would rush into the majors, rushing up Fulmer, etc.

Edited by GreenSox