The Acceptance Phase of James Shields and Tatis Jr.

hi8is

Yeah, this is the worst trade in Sox history.  All that’s left is deciding if this is the worst trade of all time for any team.  It is in the zone of Smoltz for Doyle Alexander, Bagwell for Anderson, Brock for Broglio, although Brock was never going to beat out Billy Williams.  I have reached the acceptance phase, but this trade made me angry when it was a rumor.  If I knew it was stupid and I am just some fan, what the hell was this front office smoking?

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Great movie but did I miss a reference to it in his post ? Did someone die of a heart attack after a life of being a womanizing , pill popping choreographer ?

No, but the comedian in the film does examine the stages of death until finally accepting his fate.

On 6/28/2019 at 11:41 AM, hi8is said:

Alright folks... it’s taken me quite a while to reach the final phase of grief for this otherworldly loss.

Though, healing has finally occurred and I come to share with you my lasting insight.

Imagine another world where the Shields trade did not occur. Imagine in this world that we retained our talent and Tatis Jr.

In this world, we don’t suck completely and as such draft for guys like Madrigal and Vaughn.

We don’t trade for guys like Eloy, Kopech, Moncada, Cease, Giolito, Lopez, Dunning, etc.

We likely don’t sign Robert.

We more likely just keep buying old “on their way out” free agents and drafting between 15 - 20 while still missing out on the playoffs.

So... I will take Madrigal, Vaughn, Eloy, Kopech, Moncada, Cease, yada yada yada and accept losing out on “he who shall not be named.”

In closing, thank you Jamie Shields for helping us suck so hard that we are starting to see a bright future around the bend. Enjoy your retirement in San Diego... May we beat the Padres in 2021 for a World Series Championship.

PS... suck it James.

I mean, thank you James.

I keep telling myself its just one of those things that poor front offices do . I try to forget it and then I watch the nightly baseball highlights show on MLB Network and Tatis,jr. does some great glove work , hits an oppo HR and I hear a Padres announcer yelling he is one of the best players he has ever seen in a Padres uniform.

If the Sox rebuild does not produce a few playoff teams  I might always think about what would 've been. And if they make the playoffs but don't win a World Series I'll probably think the same thing.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 minutes ago, zisk said:

No, but the comedian in the film does examine the stages of death until finally accepting his fate.

Thank you. Unless you own it or have Netfliks you never see it anymore. It's not like the ABC's, CBS's or NBC's show movies anymore do they ? Maybe Turner bought the rights to many of them. Haven't seen it in a while .

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 1:55 PM, hi8is said:

I don’t think that to be a possibility. Without James aiding in our suckitude - I don’t believe we rebuild

It's not like Shields replaced Cy Young in our rotation.  If not Shields, it would have been some other schmuck.  Latos?  Fulmer?    

We gave away a generational, HOF talent, if he's not derailed by injuries or something.  Between him and Machado, I don't think I can watch a Padres game for the next decade.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, bighurt574 said:

It's not like Shields replaced Cy Young in our rotation.  If not Shields, it would have been some other schmuck.  Latos?  Fulmer?    

We gave away a generational, HOF talent, if he's not derailed by injuries or something.  Between him and Machado, I don't think I can watch a Padres game for the next decade.  

The point was the mindset... instead of keeping young assets like Tatis and Johnson and selling off established pieces like Sale, Quintana, and Eaton... they decided to “go for it.”

5 hours ago, bighurt574 said:

Ok Pet peeve is seeing HOF talent label put on a guy who has a had a half season in the majors. Can we just say huge talent or something similar ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VAfan said:

I'll never be over it. Like Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio. Except worse.

It's one of the worst trades in baseball history for sure, but like I've pointed out, it's nullified by the Eloy deal. Eloy baby!

Too bad Hahn whiffed on the Tatis deal but it's possible KW or some meddler (Jerry?) told them to acquire Shields no matter what. Remember Shields had a few good seasons afore we got him.

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

It's one of the worst trades in baseball history for sure, but like I've pointed out, it's nullified by the Eloy deal. Eloy baby!

Too bad Hahn whiffed on the Tatis deal but it's possible KW or some meddler (Jerry?) told them to acquire Shields no matter what. Remember Shields had a few good seasons afore we got him.

It’s not nullified by the Eloy deal.  Tatis can be every good as Eloy and he actually plays an important defensive position.

• Like 1

https://sports.yahoo.com/knicks-durant-irving-zion-free-agency-232212617.html

At least we’re not Knicks’ fans...the last year been PRETTY tough.

They lost out on or traded Porzingis,  Zion, Kyrie and Durant...two to a neighboring franchise, the equivalent of Tatis and Machado ending up with the Cubs.

Edited by caulfield12

Yeah, the only thing I'd "accept" out of this trade are KW's & RH's resignations.

FFS, that 2016 team was nowhere near talented enough to compete, had the dumbest/weakest manager in the bigs, and had just finished a craptacular May: https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2016-schedule-scores.shtml

The FANS knew that that team didn't have a snowball's chance in hell, and were not turning up to watch the games. The rebuild was gonna happen, whether they stupidly made that trade or not. In fact, most of us were screaming for it for a few years prior to 2016. The fact that those mouthbreathing morons in the FO finally fucking figured it out [YEARS after most of us did] was bad enough. The fact that those mouthbreathing morons fucking gave away a top player simply means they're dumber than a pile of blind, drunk monkeys.

Others may want to fall all over themselves to excuse these imbeciles' fuck-ups, but I will NEVER "accept" moronic fucktitude on the part of people who should fucking know better. [Again, if we the fans KNEW that adding Shields to a shitty team with a shitty roster and a weak, incompetent manager was a moronic idea, those fuck-heads who get paid to run a team for a living should have known, too.]

YMMV.

9 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yeah, the only thing I'd "accept" out of this trade are KW's & RH's resignations.

FFS, that 2016 team was nowhere near talented enough to compete, had the dumbest/weakest manager in the bigs, and had just finished a craptacular May: https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2016-schedule-scores.shtml

The FANS knew that that team didn't have a snowball's chance in hell, and were not turning up to watch the games. The rebuild was gonna happen, whether they stupidly made that trade or not. In fact, most of us were screaming for it for a few years prior to 2016. The fact that those mouthbreathing morons in the FO finally fucking figured it out [YEARS after most of us did] was bad enough. The fact that those mouthbreathing morons fucking gave away a top player simply means they're dumber than a pile of blind, drunk monkeys.

Others may want to fall all over themselves to excuse these imbeciles' fuck-ups, but I will NEVER "accept" moronic fucktitude on the part of people who should fucking know better. [Again, if we the fans KNEW that adding Shields to a shitty team with a shitty roster and a weak, incompetent manager was a moronic idea, those fuck-heads who get paid to run a team for a living should have known, too.]

YMMV.

Your therapist is underpaid. 

3 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Your therapist is underpaid. 

Did the poster say something you take exception to?  If so, state it and debate it, or else spare the rest of us of your constant insults to other posters around here.  That’s pretty much all that you do, AustinIllini.  

• Love 1

4 hours ago, VAfan said:

I'll never be over it. Like Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio. Except worse.

Then I suggest you go do this: find all the worst trades in MLB history and see how all the teams fared.  When you’re done report back. 

That was a different era in White Sox baseball. Stop living in the past. 

Edited by Eloy Jiménez

9 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Then I suggest you go do this: find all the worst trades in MLB history and see how all the teams fared.  When you’re done report back. 

No one is “living in the past” when discussing the Tatis Jr. trade.  It only happened three short years ago, and was conducted by the very front office still in charge of things today.  It’s still very much a relevant topic, particularly given Tatis Jr.’s early success at the big league level.

How about less on poster attacking and more on actual useful contribution to matters involving the White Sox coming out of your corner.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Different era? The team is still under .500 with a very weak roster. Team has a lot to prove. Sox fans have been great this year in supporting this weak roster.

8 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

No one is “living in the past” when discussing the Tatis Jr. trade.  It only happened three short years ago, and was conducted by the very front office still in charge of things today.  It’s still very much a relevant topic, particularly given Tatis Jr.’s early success at the big league level.

How about less on poster attacking and more on actual useful contribution to matters involving the White Sox coming out of your corner.  

That trade was inexplicable, but the Eloy trade was delectable.

54 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

It happened. It sucked. We just all have to move on, collectively. 

Everything changes if we keep him. The trades, draft picks, etc. 

There’s seriously no point in continuing to go over this. 

Maybe they trade someone else for an actually good pitcher. Cool, they win 81 games that year, maybe 85 the next two years. Awesome. 

Going over wouldas and couldas is useless. 

Edited by mqr
  • Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:55 PM, hi8is said:

I don’t think that to be a possibility. Without James aiding in our suckitude - I don’t believe we rebuild

The team was already in meltdown mode and had fallen to .500. James or no James... same shit. I mean, the reason we traded for James was because our rotation needed help.

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Different era? The team is still under .500 with a very weak roster. Team has a lot to prove. Sox fans have been great this year in supporting this weak roster.

It’s fairly obvious Tatis was traded when the goal was different.  Almost everything about the White Sox has changed since then. 

15 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ok Pet peeve is seeing HOF talent label put on a guy who has a had a half season in the majors. Can we just say huge talent or something similar ?

Saying HOF talent isn't necessarily the same as saying he'll make it, but I'll take my chances on a 20-year-old putting up his kind of numbers, at a premium position no less.  Wasn't there an article about that in the last year or so on the history of these uber prospects making debuts as young ages?  Can't seem to find it, but I believe the track record is actually pretty impressive.