The Acceptance Phase of James Shields and Tatis Jr.

hi8is

It is just time to move on since no matter what happens Tatis Jr will not be a member of the White Sox until we trade for him in 2037 when the Dodgers are trying to shed payroll and the Sox give up our #3 pitcher and a couple of lottery tickets who hopefully don't pan out.

• Haha 1

The best adjustment would be a strict rule that every newbie plays for a year before becoming trade chattel. If most of the other prospects acquired in 2016-2017 turn out ok we can deal with it.

On 6/28/2019 at 1:41 PM, hi8is said:

Imagine another world where the Shields trade did not occur. Imagine in this world that we retained our talent and Tatis Jr.

In this world, we don’t suck completely and as such draft for guys like Madrigal and Vaughn.

Why do you assume the team wouldn't rebuilt if the Shields trade didn't happen? That team was collapsing before the Shields trade and would have had a losing record even without him. Without the Shields trade we likely would have rebuilt anyway and still had Tatis.

Honestly Sox talk has lost their collective minds on this Tatis, Jr issue.  If you give a friend, as kind of a joke, a lottery ticket in his birthday card...and he wins $100,000,000 it is

A) the dumbest thing you ever did.

B) the unlikeliest of outcomes.  

Here is the quote on the day of the trade: "BA did not rank him as one of the top 30 international prospects in 2015 or one of the White Sox top 30 prospects before this season." 

5 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Honestly Sox talk has lost their collective minds on this Tatis, Jr issue.  If you give a friend, as kind of a joke, a lottery ticket in his birthday card...and he wins $100,000,000 it is

Here is the quote on the day of the trade: "BA did not rank him as one of the top 30 international prospects in 2015 or one of the White Sox top 30 prospects before this season." 

It was a bad process that led to the worst case result.  Hopefully Hahn learned from it.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It was a bad process that led to the worst case result.  Hopefully Hahn learned from it.

I think the rebuild is exactly him learning from it.  They were chasing a ring with a few superstars and garbage around them and hoping to catch lightening in a bottle with fading stars.  The rebuild has been amazingly ruthless and methodical...and the results seem very exciting.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Why do you assume the team wouldn't rebuilt if the Shields trade didn't happen? That team was collapsing before the Shields trade and would have had a losing record even without him. Without the Shields trade we likely would have rebuilt anyway and still had Tatis.

I don’t think we suck to the levels of suck we reached without the patented James Shield Level of Suck

( that’s a lot of sucking )

49 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Honestly, the only lesson to be learned is "don't trade for washed up pitchers"

Tatis had never played a professional game when we traded him

1 minute ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Honestly, the only lesson to be learned is "don't trade for washed up pitchers"

Tatis had never played a professional game when we traded him

Way more to it than that.  Properly accessing your standing in the MLB ecosystem would be another area for improvement.  Sox were not in a win cycle and should not have been trading away anybody for veterans.

1 hour ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Sometimes it happens that a lottery ticket works out.  I get that and have no problem with that.  What I always thought was a joke was that the Sox had to give up a lottery ticket at all in the deal.  Erik Johnson should have been more than enough.  Shields sucked so bad with the Padres that the owner of the team was personally calling him out. 

p.s.  I am not saying that Johnson was any good.  I am saying that this should have been nothing but a partial salary dump by San Diego.  The Sox should have been able to get Shields for virtually no actual current or future talent.

34 minutes ago, wegner said:

Sometimes it happens that a lottery ticket works out.  I get that and have no problem with that.  What I always thought was a joke was that the Sox had to give up a lottery ticket at all in the deal.  Erik Johnson should have been more than enough.  Shields sucked so bad with the Padres that the owner of the team was personally calling him out. 

p.s.  I am not saying that Johnson was any good.  I am saying that this should have been nothing but a partial salary dump by San Diego.  The Sox should have been able to get Shields for virtually no actual current or future talent.

I think all reasonable people can agree with this.  We would never again hear Shields name  if we hadn't included that lottery ticket in the birthday card...and now we will never be able to forget.  The tragedy is our incredible bad luck.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I think the rebuild is exactly him learning from it.  They were chasing a ring with a few superstars and garbage around them and hoping to catch lightening in a bottle with fading stars.  The rebuild has been amazingly ruthless and methodical...and the results seem very exciting.  

Not really because of the rebuild/tank. Our draft picks have been nothing special. Our key players are the ones we got via trade and international market.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Not really because of the rebuild/tank. Our draft picks have been nothing special. Our key players are the ones we got via trade and international market.

Yeah that Tim Anderson guy sucks. Move him to catcher now.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Madrigal and Vaughan are the two post tank picks...I'm excited about both.  

Jake Burger says "hello," from the comfort of his couch, while shoveling Domino's pizza down his piehole.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Jake Burger says "hello," from the comfort of his couch, while shoveling Domino's pizza down his piehole.

That’s pretty funny but he has stepped up on his nutrition- or at least he talked about that earlier this year. But yeah, he’s eating kale and playing fortnite.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Way more to it than that.  Properly accessing your standing in the MLB ecosystem would be another area for improvement.  Sox were not in a win cycle and should not have been trading away anybody for veterans.

This.

We the fans KNEW that team, with that roster, and that manager were not well-positioned to win. The FO should have known this, and if not, should all have been fired, full stop.

The other lessons to learn were:

1. Know the difference between a good player and a bad one, and

2. Know how to actually negotiate from a position of strength when the other party's owner had already admitted that James Shields sucks.

5 minutes ago, flavum said:

That’s pretty funny but he has stepped up on his nutrition- or at least he talked about that earlier this year. But yeah, he’s eating kale and playing fortnite.

Fair enough.

But "Slim" Jake Burger's [snicker] selection as a 1st round pick occurred 6 months AFTER Sale was traded, and almost 11 months AFTER the "Mired in Mediocrity" presser. He's easily a "post tank pick," and most likely, a bad one at that. 

But, a bad draft pick is what happens when a team refuses to fire front office types that have been BEGGING to be fired for years, due to their stupidity,

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

4 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah that Tim Anderson guy sucks. Move him to catcher now.

I love Timmy but the way this board treats injured players (Avi) ... we better hope Timmy doesn't miss six weeks or so for injury reasons again next year or he'll be thrust into the off-injured category. Timmy's injury, like Avi's, proves stuff happens when you are giving 100 percent playing baseball.

3 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Fair enough.

But "Slim" Jake Burger's [snicker] selection as a 1st round pick occurred 6 months AFTER Sale was traded, and almost 11 months AFTER the "Mired in Mediocrity" presser. He's easily a "post tank pick," and most likely, a bad one at that. 

But, a bad draft pick is what happens when a team refuses to fire front office types that have been BEGGING to be fired for years, due to their stupidity,

No, bad first round draft picks happen every single year to good and bad teams. In fact, once you get past the 5th pick youd be happy to get a guy that contributes 8 WAR for his MLB career.

10 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Fair enough.

To be fair to Hahn and the Sox, the draft *at that time* appeared to drop off hard at the Sox pick.

14 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Jake Burger was the result of a team that still had Chris Sale, Jose Quintana and Adam Eaton on it. Alex Faedo is like the only guy picked after Burger that is worth anything at all.