Zack Burdi - Torn Patella

DirtySox

2 hours ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

He's only 24. It's a knee injury this time, not another UCL injury. 

Yea that's the only silver lining with this injury but it's a big one. Hopefully to see him back stronger both knee and elbow.

25 minutes ago, bighurt4life said:

The patella is the knee cap. You have a tendon on on the top and bottom of it (superior/inferior aspects), attaching it to the femur and tibia respectively. No ligaments on the patella, probably tore a patellar tendon. 

The patella tendon is also referred to as the patella ligament. It connects the patella to the tibia. Both are bones so by definition it is a ligament. However, since the physiology of it is tendonous it is often referred to as a tendon.

The primary structure that keeps the patella from moving too far laterally is the medial patella femoral ligament, so there are other ligaments connected to the patella as well.

All the being said, I'm sure it was the patella tendon/ligament that was torn.

Edited by ptatc

8 hours ago, ptatc said:

The patella tendon is also referred to as the patella ligament. It connects the patella to the tibia. Both are bones so by definition it is a ligament. However, since the physiology of it is tendonous it is often referred to as a tendon.

The primary structure that keeps the patella from moving too far laterally is the medial patella femoral ligament, so there are other ligaments connected to the patella as well.

All the being said, I'm sure it was the patella tendon/ligament that was torn.

So, what do you think the prognosis will be, regarding the degree to which he should recover, and in what time frame? 

FOLLOW UP: I just read this on MLB.com: "Burdi should be ready to go by Spring Training 2020."

Edited by Lillian

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

So, what do you think the prognosis will be, regarding the degree to which he should recover, and in what time frame? 

FOLLOW UP: I just read this on MLB.com: "Burdi should be ready to go by Spring Training 2020."

Yes. He should be fine. The rehab will be 6-9 months.