• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Rowand44 said:

Jason...

I didn't imply Bulls are getting him..but more players potentially out there in a year where the Bulls should be a pretty solid team with cap space...the better.  I haven't seen one good NBA analyst knock one thing the Bulls did this off-season. In fact, Lowe has been extremely complimentary of their entire off-season as well as the roster build-up.  For being 2 years and a month removed from the Jimmy Butler trade...they have actually adjusted much quicker than most organizations who went down this path.  

13 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I didn't imply Bulls are getting him..but more players potentially out there in a year where the Bulls should be a pretty solid team with cap space...the better.  I haven't seen one good NBA analyst knock one thing the Bulls did this off-season. In fact, Lowe has been extremely complimentary of their entire off-season as well as the roster build-up.  For being 2 years and a month removed from the Jimmy Butler trade...they have actually adjusted much quicker than most organizations who went down this path.  

I'm with Jason here. I know it's never happened before, but if the Bulls can develop this core and create a winning culture, this should be the sexy destination in 2021. 

If Lavine and Lauri take that next step you're talking about 2 stars. If the Bulls can develop White and Carter into even just good players over the next 2 years, it's gonna be hard to deny that adding a guy like Giannis or Kawhi doesn't make them a title contender. 

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

One day you guys will get that carrot.  It will taste so good too, just delicious

Would that not be a potentially really desirable spot? 

I mean sure, White and Carter could certainly be busts, and Lavine and Markkanen can never get any better, but let's assume otherwise. That's a squad right there. 

The winning starts this year IMO. 

Just now, scs787 said:

I mean sure, White and Carter could certainly be busts, and Lavine and Markkanen can never get any better, but let's assume otherwise. That's a squad right there. 

I think where you find the cynic in me is while that all sounds logical it is not at all the way the NBA offseasons have operated recently, and I worry that it will continue to be the way Paxson thinks it will operate. When 2021 rolls around, the bulls need to make sure they have room for 1 max while also making sure they can send any of their guys out to get whomever a star may want. Or, they don't even wait and just get a guy. If the bulls turn get into the 2nd round of the Eastern conference playoffs with this group, it's reasonable a star may say its a good spot.

However, if they still seem raw, its clear stars aren't quite in on taking the chance on a group of young guys taking the next step with them. THey want some insurance. Paxson would need to either force them there through trade or find that star. Will Markannen be a star? I think he'll be very good but Id on't see it.

51 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Come on dude, they have played this exact "we want to have money available for when we are good" game like 4 times.  They never spend, they always come up short, and they do it again.   Two years ago when they traded Jimmy they said the exact same shit about 2019 free agency and here we are

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I think where you find the cynic in me is while that all sounds logical it is not at all the way the NBA offseasons have operated recently, and I worry that it will continue to be the way Paxson thinks it will operate. When 2021 rolls around, the bulls need to make sure they have room for 1 max while also making sure they can send any of their guys out to get whomever a star may want. Or, they don't even wait and just get a guy. If the bulls turn get into the 2nd round of the Eastern conference playoffs with this group, it's reasonable a star may say its a good spot.

However, if they still seem raw, its clear stars aren't quite in on taking the chance on a group of young guys taking the next step with them. THey want some insurance. Paxson would need to either force them there through trade or find that star. Will Markannen be a star? I think he'll be very good but Id on't see it.

I think it is clear that they also can't just rely on free agency, they need to do everything they can to continously make the team better (while maintaining flexibility) and they have to be able to pivot and capitalize when a player gets disgruntled.  We don't know who the next disgruntled star will be, but it will happen again and the Bulls need to ensure they are a team that a player would be interested in going while having the flexibility and assets to be able to make a move.  

I want to be hopeful of 2021 but Bulls haven't been a serious contender in the FA market since 2010. We can make excuses and blame it on being a young team in rebuild mode, but even when we were making playoffs with Rose, Noah and Butler and had cap spaces we were never in serious running. There has to be something more than winning that detracts FAs from Chicago.

14 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I want to be hopeful of 2021 but Bulls haven't been a serious contender in the FA market since 2010. We can make excuses and blame it on being a young team in rebuild mode, but even when we were making playoffs with Rose, Noah and Butler and had cap spaces we were never in serious running. There has to be something more than winning that detracts FAs from Chicago.

It's not a secret that the front office has fought with multiple employees, sometimes verbally and sometimes physically.   They can't run from that

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It's not a secret that the front office has fought with multiple employees, sometimes verbally and sometimes physically.   They can't run from that

I was implying front office and ownership (what Jenks posted a few weeks ago made a lot of sense).

5 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I was implying front office and ownership (what Jenks posted a few weeks ago made a lot of sense).

Bottom line is this city should be a destination for nba players and it simply has not been since MJ left.  Garnett joked about the ice out in like 99 and it never thawed

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Bottom line is this city should be a destination for nba players and it simply has not been since MJ left.  Garnett joked about the ice out in like 99 and it never thawed

Gut punch when stars in their prime don’t even consider coming home 

6 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Not sure how I feel about the trade for the Rockets.

And looks like Paul to the Lakers is finally happening.

4 hours ago, bmags said:

How? guessing it will wait until 12/15?

Two options:

Paul gets traded immediately, which would likely be to Miami. Probably the most ideal scenario for OKC as they get shorter contracts and individual players who can be dealt. I doubt they'd get picks or a young player, unless they did a Justise Winslow - Andre Roberson swap, but then the deal would have to wait until 12/15 (because they added Roberson - this is according to Woj's tweet).

If they wait until 12/15, all of the recently signed Lakers are fair game but...it doesn't make much sense for LA to trade for Paul. They'd have 0 depth with who they'd have to give up for Paul. It only works if he's willing to leave his massive deal on the table and take a buyout.

I wouldn't be against the Bulls finding a different way to build a winner because it sure seems that "sell out for superstars" is a method that burns most of those who try it. Most of our recent championships have been won by a team that drafted most of its key players and didn't exactly sell out to add Durant. Raps sold out, got their title, and now get to watch as their Finals MVP goes to LA. Boston isn't totally dead yet, but their acquisition of Kyrie didn't yield much (but maybe they didn't really sell out to get him). Lakers got LeBron basically by default after the Cavs ran him out of town and it's not clear yet whether their attempt to build a super-team will be successful. Knicks thought they were getting KD and, well, you know. Plenty of others left at the altar over the years.