2019-2020 Official NBA Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm just excited for bball to be back. It would have been fun if the Bulls made the cut, but they were awful and don't deserve it.  I think the league could have been more creative in its use of a march madness style dynamic, but this will still be fun and exciting.  Fired up.  And now Bulls can entirely focus on next year. It would be nice if teams who don't play, somehow get some added developmental benefit to counteract the fact that these other teams are going to get more development and time to work.  

If it happens that the bulls are on the outside looking in(likely), and everything else plays out normally and there are no setbacks with quarantine and the start of the season is moved back to where it is rumored to be, it will be approximately 9 months between games for the bulls 

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

If it happens that the bulls are on the outside looking in(likely), and everything else plays out normally and there are no setbacks with quarantine and the start of the season is moved back to where it is rumored to be, it will be approximately 9 months between games for the bulls 

As far as I’m concerned the bulls only played for 5 weeks in late April through May.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

God this is brutal to hear.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Does this include the ones who tested positive initially or is this in addition to it?

This is a leak of medical info so not certain, but this sounds like it was one of the rounds of "Test everyone all at once" done before the league started its 14 day pre-season quarantine done on June 23. I think this is just right now.

Edit: nvm, not a leak, here's your official version.

48 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Those are active infections right now, thank Florida.

Would be curious - is the NBA also doing full antibody testing (I would think at a minimum teams would want to get a good perspective of who may have immunity - albeit who knows how long it lasts). Also would be curious, if you got it initially and it was asymptomatic, does that mean the next team you get it, it would also be or not. 

18 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Would be curious - is the NBA also doing full antibody testing (I would think at a minimum teams would want to get a good perspective of who may have immunity - albeit who knows how long it lasts). Also would be curious, if you got it initially and it was asymptomatic, does that mean the next team you get it, it would also be or not. 

Do you mean “next time” or team? That last sentence is a bit odd.

If you mean “next time”, we don’t know but we hope so. We’ve seen that there are some examples of people actually getting it a few months apart in this country since it’s spreading rapidly enough that people can actually be exposed a couple times, but no real way yet to do any sort of statistical analysis of those cases. One was reported from Dallas this week. It probably will be less intense if you get a second infection because the body knows how to fight it, but some of the severe cases are because the immune system overreacts, hard to know how common those would be on a second exposure (think about severe allergic responses for that, if you’re allergic to bee stings, the second time you get stung often triggers a more intense immune response than the first).

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Do you mean “next time” or team? That last sentence is a bit odd.

If you mean “next time”, we don’t know but we hope so. We’ve seen that there are some examples of people actually getting it a few months apart in this country since it’s spreading rapidly enough that people can actually be exposed a couple times, but no real way yet to do any sort of statistical analysis of those cases. One was reported from Dallas this week. It probably will be less intense if you get a second infection because the body knows how to fight it, but some of the severe cases are because the immune system overreacts, hard to know how common those would be on a second exposure (think about severe allergic responses for that, if you’re allergic to bee stings, the second time you get stung often triggers a more intense immune response than the first).

Yeah - I meant next time they got infected. 

• 2 weeks later...

If the NBA does a 2nd bubble for those teams that didn't make the initial cut (i.e., the Bulls), I wonder if they can find a creative way to make it interesting (implications on lottery balls or something).  Maybe ridiculous, but I think with everything going on with COVID, every league should find ways to push the envelope on creativity.  

On 6/26/2020 at 8:44 PM, Balta1701 said:

Those are active infections right now, thank Florida.

I think thus far they are saying through testing 10%+ of NBA players have either tested positive and/or shown antibodies for Covid.  I presume with all the travel NBA players did before lockdowns and the fact that they probably just see more people, they would in general be expected to have higher infection / antibody rates than a regular individual.  

48 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

If the NBA does a 2nd bubble for those teams that didn't make the initial cut (i.e., the Bulls), I wonder if they can find a creative way to make it interesting (implications on lottery balls or something).  Maybe ridiculous, but I think with everything going on with COVID, every league should find ways to push the envelope on creativity.  

The second bubble is the absolute worst idea.  Why even take away focus from the playoffs anyway?

58 minutes ago, bmags said:

The second bubble is the absolute worst idea.  Why even take away focus from the playoffs anyway?

I get why the teams not invited are worried though.  It does stunt their players developmental growth, etc.  You could say - well be a better team, but it wasn't like teams realized this would happen going into the season.  I'm a Bulls fan so would want to watch for no reason other than to see the young players get more practice time. I also don't want for one the players to get hurt in a meaningless game either (so it is hard to say which I prefer - but at the very least enabling practice with some solid scrimmages seems like a good and fair construct.