• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Are people giving up on Coby as a PG? 

Certainly not comparing the 2 but Donovan did well with Rus at PG. 

All that said, it sure would be nice to have him in a Lou Williams role. 

Not giving up on him but not penciling him in for him as a piece of the future either. Not really high on any bulls player now but we’ll see what a real coach does

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I think so? Removing all team options and keeping all rookie deals and team options (arcidiacano, white, hutchinson, carter, markannen, gafford, puts them at 49.5 mill according to this: http://www.basketballinsiders.com/chicago-bulls-team-salary/

That's about 60 mill compared to 2020 cap space and who knows if it grows considering revenues next year.

But they could easily get rid of hutchinson. That wouldn't be enough for all max guys but would get them close enough where if its a package deal they could probably make it work.

But yeah...interesting year. Do we think AD leaves LA? I doubt it. Is Kawhi opting out?

Giannis + Oladipo could be interesting. Team desperately needs a good point guard. Giannis + PG with Lavine at the 2. Would be fun if Ball fell to 4 then.

With a coach players like and an exec team that's not a joke, suddenly these posts don't seem that crazy.

I read this as Paul George and was about to ask what in the hell was wrong with you until I realized it was point guard.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I read this as Paul George and was about to ask what in the hell was wrong with you until I realized it was point guard.

He wouldn't be terrible but the issue is a lot of the FA point guards will likely be expensive relative to value. 36 Y.O. chris paul would be taking a huge personal paycut. Jrue Holiday or Dennis Schroder...Mike Connelly, etc.

PGs come up enough that you probably don't want to force that position. It would be interesting putting a strong wing with Giannis.

On 9/22/2020 at 9:33 PM, fathom said:

I like it, but as someone that remembers him playing in college, it’s crazy how old he looks now.

Runs to hug perennial scumbag Rick Pitino at the 1:28 mark. Hope Dallas Keuchel comes up as big in the playoffs as Dallas Comegys (24 second mark) did his two games to start the Tourney at the Rosemont Horizon. Worked all the games as an Andy Frain, helped sneak a few friends in for the second game.

OG One Shining Moment, Robert Montgomery Knight vs. Jim Boeheim for the title.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is starting to sink in more- the bulls just hired the best head coach on the market and went from Boylen who had a reputation around the league that was pure trash to Billy D who is probably one of the more relatable and genuine guys around the league and also a good coach. I don’t know that he’s a great X’s and O’s Guy but he is an awesome leader of men and will be a tremendous hire to just shift the tone. 

If you are any of the Bulls players - just imagine the 180 when they get in practice this week and go from hearing the previous clown  on a day in and day out basis to Billy D. Seriously - let that sink in for a second! 

Every time I hear him talk - I understand why he did so damn well in college and he did a heck of a job this year. The bulls are going to do it - this regime is going to be the one that slays the dragon and truly lands some big time FAs over time. Can just feel it. 

11 hours ago, scs787 said:

Watching Thunder highlights, ya know who I'd be totally ok with Lauri becoming??? A taller Danillo Galinari. I see Galinari doing a lot of things I think Lauri should be doing. 

I'd love to see development from Lauri, but the fact that he's so close to FA might make him a guy who isn't a long term piece for the Bulls. If we see improved performance from him before whatever next year's trade deadline is under a coach who isn't the joke of the league, and we're thinking about max deals for people long-term, he's a guy we have no choice but to move, try to get another first round pick for him and send him to a team currently in better shape. If he does improve, you literally get to choose between a fair, middle of the market deal for Lauri, and cap space for max deals. If he doesn't improve, then he's got a couple years left before he washes out of the league. 

10 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd love to see development from Lauri, but the fact that he's so close to FA might make him a guy who isn't a long term piece for the Bulls. If we see improved performance from him before whatever next year's trade deadline is under a coach who isn't the joke of the league, and we're thinking about max deals for people long-term, he's a guy we have no choice but to move, try to get another first round pick for him and send him to a team currently in better shape. If he does improve, you literally get to choose between a fair, middle of the market deal for Lauri, and cap space for max deals. If he doesn't improve, then he's got a couple years left before he washes out of the league. 

I could be wrong here, but Lauri is a free agent in 2021, so hypothetically speaking can't the Bulls sign 2 max guys and then go over the cap to resign Lauri? 

Dream scenario would be Coby and Lauri both panning out and Lavines 3 ball being legit. Then you add in AD and Giannis. 

White-Lavine-Giannis-AD-Lauri

13 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

It is starting to sink in more- the bulls just hired the best head coach on the market and went from Boylen who had a reputation around the league that was pure trash to Billy D who is probably one of the more relatable and genuine guys around the league and also a good coach. I don’t know that he’s a great X’s and O’s Guy but he is an awesome leader of men and will be a tremendous hire to just shift the tone. 

If you are any of the Bulls players - just imagine the 180 when they get in practice this week and go from hearing the previous clown  on a day in and day out basis to Billy D. Seriously - let that sink in for a second! 

Every time I hear him talk - I understand why he did so damn well in college and he did a heck of a job this year. The bulls are going to do it - this regime is going to be the one that slays the dragon and truly lands some big time FAs over time. Can just feel it. 

https://www.theringer.com/2020/9/25/21455724/the-mismatch-the-lakers-squeak-out-a-win

This was good to hear. Heard a lot on Donovan's offense. I think it was a good reminder that when he was in college he ran the type of offenses AK said he favored. But when you have Russel Westbrook and PG you have to run an offense to those strengths which is just iso/pick and roll. When he gets Chris Paul, he let CP be CP3 and completely changed the defense over an offseason.

I think it shows that if a player becomes a star or they acquire a star he'll make the offense flow in the way the star wants or needs.

I'm sure the difference between that and a truly elite coach is being able to challenge the player to change when the team needs it (spo, phil jackson, etc). But I don't think we can look at the chris paul or russ OKC offenses and say that's what we'll see with Donovan.

I think it's a great hire. Especially with our young roster. A lot of them are coming from the best college coaches in the game or were heavily recruited by them. They revere Coach K, Wright, Williams, etc. And then they are playing for Jim Boylen, a joke in the NBA and College.

Now when those players text or chat with their college coaches the coaches are going to tell them about a peer that they revere in Donovan. 

I think it is going to be a huge difference. Very excited.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I could be wrong here, but Lauri is a free agent in 2021, so hypothetically speaking can't the Bulls sign 2 max guys and then go over the cap to resign Lauri? 

Dream scenario would be Coby and Lauri both panning out and Lavines 3 ball being legit. Then you add in AD and Giannis. 

Yes if he's worth it. But yeah, I do like White but I just cannot imagine a White/Lavine backcourt. 

To be honest if we are allowed a dream scenario to me is Ball-Lavine-Giannis-AD-Lauri/Wendell.

That is a lineup with length, defense, and enough shooting to give Giannis room to work.

That would be devastating.

3 hours ago, scs787 said:

They can...if they have enough cap space for the cap hold. In order to maintain Bird rights to go over the cap signing Lauri, they have to have a certain amount of cap space locked up as a hold - that way you can't use that player's Bird rights to sign an outside free agent for the same money. It looks like For Lauri that will be about $16 million, give or take. So, in that case, you would need the full amount of the 2 max guys + $16 million. Giannis's contract, doing some googling, will require about $42 million. Davis is in the same range.

The cap is currently at $109 million, so $80 milion for those guys + $16 million for Lauri Cap hold leaves $13 million available for the rest of the roster. LaVine at $29 million alone makes that impossible. You'd have to be down to White + whoever is drafted this year and that's about it.

4 hours ago, bmags said:

https://www.theringer.com/2020/9/25/21455724/the-mismatch-the-lakers-squeak-out-a-win

This was good to hear. Heard a lot on Donovan's offense. I think it was a good reminder that when he was in college he ran the type of offenses AK said he favored. But when you have Russel Westbrook and PG you have to run an offense to those strengths which is just iso/pick and roll. When he gets Chris Paul, he let CP be CP3 and completely changed the defense over an offseason.

I think it shows that if a player becomes a star or they acquire a star he'll make the offense flow in the way the star wants or needs.

I'm sure the difference between that and a truly elite coach is being able to challenge the player to change when the team needs it (spo, phil jackson, etc). But I don't think we can look at the chris paul or russ OKC offenses and say that's what we'll see with Donovan.

I think it's a great hire. Especially with our young roster. A lot of them are coming from the best college coaches in the game or were heavily recruited by them. They revere Coach K, Wright, Williams, etc. And then they are playing for Jim Boylen, a joke in the NBA and College.

Now when those players text or chat with their college coaches the coaches are going to tell them about a peer that they revere in Donovan. 

I think it is going to be a huge difference. Very excited.

To your point - he may actually be an excellent X's and O's coach in the sense that he designed strategy around his best players, who had inherit flaws and very much has adjusetd to the league. Last year - with Paul he took complete advantage of the mid-range game and with Russell did other unique things. The reality is - you could argue, outside of his 1st year in the league (where he had KD & Russ) - he got the absolute most out of his teams. The best coach in the world wasn't winning a championship with any of the rosters he had outside of that 1st year (and naturally - I would expect a major adjustment for any coach coming from college to NBA game).

Like I said - this is one of those moves where every day I get more excited about the hire.  This really is a home run hire.  

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Yes if he's worth it. But yeah, I do like White but I just cannot imagine a White/Lavine backcourt. 

To be honest if we are allowed a dream scenario to me is Ball-Lavine-Giannis-AD-Lauri/Wendell.

That is a lineup with length, defense, and enough shooting to give Giannis room to work.

That would be devastating.

One comp White had a year ago was Jamal Murray. Murray obviously went HAM this season (so this was before this year). Would be pretty stellar if that comp ended up holding true.  

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

To your point - he may actually be an excellent X's and O's coach in the sense that he designed strategy around his best players, who had inherit flaws and very much has adjusetd to the league. Last year - with Paul he took complete advantage of the mid-range game and with Russell did other unique things. The reality is - you could argue, outside of his 1st year in the league (where he had KD & Russ) - he got the absolute most out of his teams. The best coach in the world wasn't winning a championship with any of the rosters he had outside of that 1st year (and naturally - I would expect a major adjustment for any coach coming from college to NBA game).

Like I said - this is one of those moves where every day I get more excited about the hire.  This really is a home run hire.  

Yeah, especially with Paul George laying huge eggs in the playoffs. Yeah, some of those teams maybe make it out of first round but none even make the conference finals in the west.

Man the Heat are just an incredible organization. They have a huge advantage with the city they are in, but the are essentially the Nuggets of the East except with the ability to pull stars with the city and swagger of Riley.

As much as it hurts knowing that Butler entered stardom, it was true that he would have maxed out in Chicago with Paxson/Forman. 

There was no Bam Adebayo coming to save him. He'd still have had either Hoiberg or Boylen as his coach. It's painful.

But who cares, it's sunny side up with bulls for now. Going to just hope they find the same formula. Either they are consistent contenders like the Nuggets, or even better, finally tap into some way to market chicago in a way to bring its stars home.

40 minutes ago, bmags said:

Man the Heat are just an incredible organization. They have a huge advantage with the city they are in, but the are essentially the Nuggets of the East except with the ability to pull stars with the city and swagger of Riley.

As much as it hurts knowing that Butler entered stardom, it was true that he would have maxed out in Chicago with Paxson/Forman. 

There was no Bam Adebayo coming to save him. He'd still have had either Hoiberg or Boylen as his coach. It's painful.

But who cares, it's sunny side up with bulls for now. Going to just hope they find the same formula. Either they are consistent contenders like the Nuggets, or even better, finally tap into some way to market chicago in a way to bring its stars home.

I always wonder what happens if Blatt actually gets called for a tech in the Bulls-Cleveland series. I severely doubt the Jimmy-Rose Bulls take down the Warriors, but it'd be hard to justify breaking up a finals team.

The Bulls of the 2010s are just a massive series of what if's: Rose's knees, Draymond or Dieng as draft picks, clearing out Deng's contract, and the Blatt call. The X-factor every time (aside from Blatt) is pretty much always Forman thinking he was smarter than everyone.

2 hours ago, Quin said:

I always wonder what happens if Blatt actually gets called for a tech in the Bulls-Cleveland series. I severely doubt the Jimmy-Rose Bulls take down the Warriors, but it'd be hard to justify breaking up a finals team.

The Bulls of the 2010s are just a massive series of what if's: Rose's knees, Draymond or Dieng as draft picks, clearing out Deng's contract, and the Blatt call. The X-factor every time (aside from Blatt) is pretty much always Forman thinking he was smarter than everyone.

I feel like what would have happened is that cleveland would have come back from 3-1. They torched the bulls those next two games. 

2 hours ago, Quin said:

I'm going to do a quick and dirty "make Jimmy Butler work" on the bulls using some pretty basic hypotheticals and not really looking up salaries starting in 2015.

So bulls just lose the the Cavs. Jerry reinsdorf is tired of the infighting and gets paxson to fire forman and thibs and makes me GM.

2015-16 season

-Hire Mike Malone - get an experienced head coach who can manage the personalities of the team while working better with the new GM

- Resign JB to the max thru 2019.

- Let's assume 2015-16 you are mostly hand-tied, you still have gasol contracts. You get dunleavy/brooks/moore. Get the band together again. This time bulls with a better coach than hoiberg do slightly better but still are a weird mess of too-ball-dominant-but-not-actually-good Rose, stuck in cement gasol and others. Assume bobby portis.

- At the deadline I trade Gasol to washington for a future second round pick, and hinrich for a second round pick.

2016 draft (assuming further back): Draft Paskal Siakam, trade Tony Snell to Bucks for a 2nd round pick and select malcolm brogdon

At this point you have a decent PG and PF (future) around Jimmy. You also could have gone with Siakam or Malik Beasley but I like Lavert a lot.

2016 FA: you got rid of hinrich and Gasol's salary but reinsdorf guffaws at FAs which is fine most ended up terribly. 

Season goes fine, 1st round exit

2017 NBA Draft: Draft Jarrett Allen and Jordan Bell (I don't know I'm getting bored.

2017-18 season

Siakam still learning but brogdon lights it up. Jimmy is good though and its a playoff team again.

2018 Draft

bulls get Robert Williams and Mitchell Robinson

sign Marcus Smart and Montrezl Harrell

Trade Harrell, Siakam, 3 non-consecutive first round picks for Anthony Davis

Championship.