Eloy Jiménez

2019-2020 Official NBA Thread

40 minutes ago, Jake said:

I wouldn't be against the Bulls finding a different way to build a winner because it sure seems that "sell out for superstars" is a method that burns most of those who try it. Most of our recent championships have been won by a team that drafted most of its key players and didn't exactly sell out to add Durant. Raps sold out, got their title, and now get to watch as their Finals MVP goes to LA. Boston isn't totally dead yet, but their acquisition of Kyrie didn't yield much (but maybe they didn't really sell out to get him). Lakers got LeBron basically by default after the Cavs ran him out of town and it's not clear yet whether their attempt to build a super-team will be successful. Knicks thought they were getting KD and, well, you know. Plenty of others left at the altar over the years.

Celts are an example of how refusing to sell out hurts. The knicks are not a good example, they literally traded away a star because they thought they'd ace FA.

Only one team can win a championship, but the teams that now have two stars are a heck of a lot better shape to win one regardless of how many wins the indiana pacers will get next year.

56 minutes ago, bmags said:

Celts are an example of how refusing to sell out hurts. The knicks are not a good example, they literally traded away a star because they thought they'd ace FA.

Only one team can win a championship, but the teams that now have two stars are a heck of a lot better shape to win one regardless of how many wins the indiana pacers will get next year.

I'm not sure that I'd say the Celts "Refused to sell out for a star" when they traded for Irving and signed Hayward, things just didn't go as planned with those guys.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm not sure that I'd say the Celts "Refused to sell out for a star" when they traded for Irving and signed Hayward, things just didn't go as planned with those guys.

No, they had assets galore and kept waiting for AD. They obviously acquired Kyrie but could have been much more aggressive in adding multiple with all of the assets they have, now they got a bunch of guys.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

No, they had assets galore and kept waiting for AD. They obviously acquired Kyrie but could have been much more aggressive in adding multiple with all of the assets they have, now they got a bunch of guys.

When you said "refused to sell out for a star" i actually thought you  meant AD since the Celtics could have put together a better offer than the Lakers but they decided not to.

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

When you said "refused to sell out for a star" i actually thought you  meant AD since the Celtics could have put together a better offer than the Lakers but they decided not to.

Probably a smart thing to do when the players agent says he isn't re-signing there

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Probably a smart thing to do when the players agent says he isn't re-signing there

After this year's title I'm not so sure.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

After this year's title I'm not so sure.

With how Kyrie acted, I could see Boston being a powder keg if they tried to run it back again with AD.   And it didn't seem like Stevens was up to the task of keeping it together 

27 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

With how Kyrie acted, I could see Boston being a powder keg if they tried to run it back again with AD.   And it didn't seem like Stevens was up to the task of keeping it together 

That was definitely the problem but I think I still would have done it.

Just so I'm clear here.... In 2021 the Bulls can theoretically sign 2 max players while also holding on to Lavine, Lauri, White, and Carter....Correct? 

They can hypothetically sign 2 guys and then go over the cap to resign Lauri??? 

31 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Just so I'm clear here.... In 2021 the Bulls can theoretically sign 2 max players while also holding on to Lavine, Lauri, White, and Carter....Correct? 

As of now yes, but only barely and not 2 "10 year" guys. Their next 2 top 10 picks will also make that difficult. I'm not sure how it would work if they extended Lauri before the season started in 2020.

3 hours ago, scs787 said:

Most likely not. They’d need to extend Lauri to prevent him from hitting RFA, and that extension kicks in 21-22 Season.

Even if they don’t extend Lauri (which could mean Lauri hadn’t shown them enough), Young and Sato has over $10M in partially guaranteed money on the books in 21-22, and factoring in another ~$10 mil in rookie contracts over the next 2 drafts takes them out of running for 2 max deals.

On 7/12/2019 at 11:57 AM, bmags said:

The Celtics example has been discussed, but the Knicks remain a good example. They did what you have to do in order to bring in major stars and they got burned, which is an occupational hazard of trying to build a superteam.