2019-2020 Official NBA Thread

50 minutes ago, Tony said:

I was definitely a young sports fan when this was happening so I'm excited to get a deeper look. I knew very superficial stuff around this time. Players didn't trust Krause, krause with his "orgs win championships" line, but for the most part just enjoyed the ride and had zero clue how special it is to have a team like that in any sport at any time.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, bmags said:

I was definitely a young sports fan when this was happening so I'm excited to get a deeper look. I knew very superficial stuff around this time. Players didn't trust Krause, krause with his "orgs win championships" line, but for the most part just enjoyed the ride and had zero clue how special it is to have a team like that in any sport at any time.

Every so often there's an early 90s bulls game repeat on TV and OMG he is so good at this.

Man Reinsdorf comes off awful in this. Like he had zero understanding of how special having a team like the MJ bulls was. If Krause was such a hinderance and he’s admitting it, fire him! It’s his damn job!

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

Man Reinsdorf comes off awful in this. Like he had zero understanding of how special having a team like the MJ bulls was. If Krause was such a hinderance and he’s admitting it, fire him! It’s his damn job!

Both guys look brutal.

• Like 1

I always thought there was a rule in the collective bargaining agreement that prohibited renegotiating contracts, and that is why Reinsdorf warned Scottie not to sign his 7 year contract. I swear that was what they used to say on the Score. https://www.nytimes.com/1997/11/28/sports/sports-of-the-times-pippen-is-right-but-wrong.html 
“TLD” made it seem like it was just a Reinsdorf policy.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

1 hour ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I always thought there was a rule in the collective bargaining agreement that prohibited renegotiating contracts, and that is why Reinsdorf warned Scottie not to sign his 7 year contract. I swear that was what they used to say on the Score. https://www.nytimes.com/1997/11/28/sports/sports-of-the-times-pippen-is-right-but-wrong.html 
“TLD” made it seem like it was just a Reinsdorf policy.

I'm sure it was probably a bit more that the bulls made clear they weren't going to reward him with a rich extension then ripping up the contract.

It is funny to me the owners discussing how bad some players got it with the long term deals right before revenues exploded, then the owners pushing the league into lockdown to end longterm deals a bit over a decade later (deals they were handing out). Now it's that the short term deals give players too much power to form their own teams.

41 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Wasn't Paxson gone by then?   By that I mean he was only there the first three years so how much first hand interaction did he have? 

He was an assistant coach in 95-96.

I haven't seen the documentary yet (don't have cable or any service playing it last night), so I don't know if the timeline matched up.

30 minutes ago, Quin said:

He was an assistant coach in 95-96.

I haven't seen the documentary yet (don't have cable or any service playing it last night), so I don't know if the timeline matched up.

He was doing radio for the team then. Maybe first-hand is too strong for 97-98 season but...it doesn't look like this was happening behind the curtains.

I think the best part about last dance has been seeing Jordan getting interviewed.  HE always kept things so close to the vest that this is just an awesome look into him. The story of him writing his mom in college was great, how he talked about coach K, etc.  The interesting thing was, Jordan would have done a rebuild with the Bulls...he just wanted Phil to be his coach.  

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think the best part about last dance has been seeing Jordan getting interviewed.  HE always kept things so close to the vest that this is just an awesome look into him. The story of him writing his mom in college was great, how he talked about coach K, etc.  The interesting thing was, Jordan would have done a rebuild with the Bulls...he just wanted Phil to be his coach.  

My dad loved the hotel room story.

Just now, almagest said:

Man, that makes me sad.

To be honest...I just wish he never did that Wizards return. That said, while he wasn't the same player with the Wizards...it was 3 years later. You never know what him continuing to play would have meant. He was still best player in the league at that time...but I don't know that they could have gotten pass the Lakers (Kobe / Shaq).  I honestly think Michael hung them up at the perfect time and in some ways, Krause was trying to be like Belicheck, which was, call it quits a year or two short but maintain longer success vs. totally bottom out.  That said, 6 championships is just special, but you never know what could have happened had Krause and Phil just worked together and they could have landed McGrady plus the other top pick (Pippen for Celtics 3 & 7 (or whatever pick it was)) and than pivoted the team under an aging, but still very dominant Jordan.  

Like I said...I dont' think they win another championship...but I do think they don't bottom out and maybe they would have won another championship.  Hard to say cause you never know what happens.  Like I said...I'll take the 6.

Would it have been better if they brought everyone back again and than lost to Spurs/Lakers? Or is it better that the team NEVER lost in the Championships.