2019-2020 Official NBA Thread

I agree with Jenks that the perception of the ownership group, especially in basketball, is one of the key factors in the decision process especially for a premier free agent.

Money is only a minor factor in this sport since money is the same everywhere except from their original team (it also doesn’t help with Illinois tax rate). While we have team prestige from 20 years ago, all of it is probably offset by the negative perception of this franchise, both management and ownership from recent years. It’s going to be hard for us to attract a true max level star unless our core players are heads and shoulders better than our competitors.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While this is probably not a very big factor anymore, I don't doubt whatsoever that the long shadow of MJ had its effect for a while. Do you think LeBron wanted to stake his career on a fanbase that would never call him the GOAT?

Sounds like it's Lakers or Clippers for Kawhi.

Lakers would be such a weak ass move. Then again... these guys don't care about making weak ass moves for rings (Durant, LeBron).

I guess the only good news is Bulls only have to deal with Giannis and the Kyrie/Durant Nets now if Kawhi leaves Toronto for the foreseeable future.

31 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Sounds like it's Lakers or Clippers for Kawhi.

Lakers would be such a weak ass move. Then again... these guys don't care about making weak ass moves for rings (Durant, LeBron).

I guess the only good news is Bulls only have to deal with Giannis and the Kyrie/Durant Nets now if Kawhi leaves Toronto for the foreseeable future.

Kawhi has rings with two different orgs. I think what is attracting him to LA lakers is he wouldn't have to be the guy. He clearly wanted to go play in LA regardless.

2 hours ago, Jake said:

While this is probably not a very big factor anymore, I don't doubt whatsoever that the long shadow of MJ had its effect for a while. Do you think LeBron wanted to stake his career on a fanbase that would never call him the GOAT?

I think had he played for the Bulls and has a resume that rivals or exceeds Jordan’s, the fan base would have been more accepting of him being the GOAT, vs him not having played for this franchise at all. That said, there is definitely a bit of added pressure to succeed with constant comparisons to MJ if you’re at an all timer level, which can’t be said about all max level players, don’t think it moves the needle to the point where we’re not even in any considerations however.

The shadow of michael jordan has hurt the front office and ownership more than any part of player legacy. The front office takeaway is that the 90s bulls were about defense and grindyness. And if you were a part of it you can tag along forever.

Not that it was the most talented.

Bulls went from a D League bench to 

PG- Sato- A guy who has shown he's a capable starter in the league.

SG- Valentine- Sato will get minutes here, but people forget DV actually shot the ball well from beyond the arc 2 years ago.

SF- Hutch- Looked decent as a rookie.

PF- Young- A proven role player and solid veteran presence

C- Kornet- A 7 footer with a reliable 3 point shot. .

You could argue that Sato and/or Young start, but the narrative fits either way.

32 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think at this point keep Dunn. Injuries will happen and his value is so low at this point. I think keeping him is better than a 2nd rounder four years from now. 

Big question is what his attitude will be like. Every now and then you get signs from the Bulls that they think there may have been effort/attitude problems with Dunn. If he's going to wreck what's looking like it will be a group of good team guys, you might have to move him.

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

Big question is what his attitude will be like. Every now and then you get signs from the Bulls that they think there may have been effort/attitude problems with Dunn. If he's going to wreck what's looking like it will be a group of good team guys, you might have to move him.

Exactly. A dunn that embraces his role could be very valuable, a Dunn that still tries to prove he's the dude and should be controlling the offense and holding the ball sucks and should be off the team.

I agree with both of those statements. That said he isn't getting a starting job anywhere so it isn't like bulls are holding him back. I'm hoping that would prevent him from not being a team guy. I'd take my chance and be ready to cut the chord if it doesn't work. Santy isn't a pure one so Dunn and him could come off bench, etc. Plus I like White practicing against someone like Dunn...as long as he doesn't go all Bobby Portis

32 minutes ago, Jake said:

Wendell Carter Jr. will miss the summer league due to surgery to repair a "core muscle injury." Bulls say he'll be ready for training camp.

This is a big bummer given how much time he missed last year. Don’t like that he is already hurt again. Jury is still majorly out on him. In hindsight, how good would doncic for wcj and white look.