6/30 Games

soxfan49

I'm fairly new at following the Sox minor league system.

Can someone explain the difference in level between the DSL, AZL, and Great Falls? 

Is Great Falls a step below Kannapolis? DSL seems like its primarily really young kids from Latin America, so generally success there should be taken with a grain of salt?

3 minutes ago, chitown87 said:

I'm fairly new at following the Sox minor league system.

Can someone explain the difference in level between the DSL, AZL, and Great Falls? 

Is Great Falls a step below Kannapolis? DSL seems like its primarily really young kids from Latin America, so generally success there should be taken with a grain of salt?

DSL is insane, it’s very young raw players and only barely baseball. You look for age (younger the better), contact and power for hitters (any HR is eyebrow raising) and for pitchers I only care about Ks.

AZL is next, it is short season ball, usually filled with the younger recent draftees. Again, age matters but you can start to get an idea of approach.

Great falls is usually for the college draftees and a step up for the AZL younger players. It is misleading, as a lot of mediocre college players tear up this league and break your heart in Kanny. So take it with a grain of salt, but you’d rather anyone still take there than the opposite.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

DSL is insane, it’s very young raw players and only barely baseball. You look for age (younger the better), contact and power for hitters (any HR is eyebrow raising) and for pitchers I only care about Ks.

AZL is next, it is short season ball, usually filled with the younger recent draftees. Again, age matters but you can start to get an idea of approach.

Great falls is usually for the college draftees and a step up for the AZL younger players. It is misleading, as a lot of mediocre college players tear up this league and break your heart in Kanny. So take it with a grain of salt, but you’d rather anyone still take there than the opposite.

Thanks.