All Star James McCann

soxfan49

I am officially ready to extend him.

best case: we get him cheaper and he continues to play good D, call a good game, and hit

worst case: we get a catcher that can play good D and call a good game

I worry if we wait to see if he can cont this in 19 and/or cont this next year that he will want more than what were willing to pay him. 

It still makes no sense to extend him now with the extra year of control.  He is at his peak value right now.  Do you think he is going to play any better than this next year?  He could still be good but I doubt he is putting up a .900+ OPS next year at this time.  Wait it out and see how he does next year.  Then decide to extend.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

57 minutes ago, Capital G said:

I am officially ready to extend him.

best case: we get him cheaper and he continues to play good D, call a good game, and hit

worst case: we get a catcher that can play good D and call a good game

I worry if we wait to see if he can cont this in 19 and/or cont this next year that he will want more than what were willing to pay him. 

I agree...lock him up.

6 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

imo we should lock him up but that's the fan in me, of course reinsdorf would say it isn't a good move spending money you don't have to spend until right when you have to spend it

I dont get that line of thought. I mean..... who am I to questions a billionaire lol..... but if he keeps this up we either have to pay more or lose him. at worst his a vet presence that can call a good game. 

1 hour ago, Capital G said:

I dont get that line of thought. I mean..... who am I to questions a billionaire lol..... but if he keeps this up we either have to pay more or lose him. at worst his a vet presence that can call a good game. 

the point i was making is because the sox have another team option on him, so no need to extend him now unless you're looking at a bargain type of deal, not a 'pay him what his market value is now because he deserves it' type of deal

On 7/5/2019 at 2:52 PM, poppysox said:

I think some of the young players go to McCann for advice.  Cordell was shown talking to McCann in the dugout after hitting his second HR the other day.  Looked deep in explanation of his swing.

Good observation. They are both right handed and close to the same age. Cordell is probably picking his brain about what he did to be able to hit to all fields consistently that he wasn't doing before.

lol I'm listening live to sports radio out here and some mariners beat guy just lamented that McCann is an all star over Narvaez.  You can quibble with how Fangraphs does their catching defense calculations but we all know how awful he is watching him day to day (good old fashioned eye test) and I'd be inclined to agree his 1.6 fWAR is a fairly accurate summary of his overall value.  

They have McCann 8 runs better than Omar at this point in 2019 with the glove.  Again that feels about right.

This morning, Phil Rogers on The Score said that McCann is his biggest surprise this year and then went on to say that the Tigers non-tendered him because they would have had to pay him $8 to $10 million dollars via salary arbitration.

The Tigers last signed McCann in 2018 for $2.375, avoiding arbitration, and he went on to have a bad 2018 season.  Somehow, McCann was going to get a $6+ million dollar raise via salary arbitration?  Where do these “so called” baseball experts come up with this stuff?

Edited by Moan4Yoan