All Star Jose Abreu

soxfan49

On 7/7/2019 at 12:52 PM, WBWSF said:

Lets say that you're right about 3yr/36 million. Does anybody think the White Sox would give him that? Keep in mind that Hahn gave Adam Laroche 2years/24 million when he was 34 years old.

I could see two years plus option for Jose. JR wants to keep him I can assure you. He could get in better shape and perhaps extend his career.

31 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Ok, here's something interesting that's to consider:

as 1b Jose is .292/.318/.547/.865 (64 games)

as DH Jose is .231/.311/.436/.747 (22 games)

Is there something to that or do we think sample size is at work?

Sample size, maybe other variables at play. 

If he can't or won't DH I don't want anything to do with him for more than one more year. 

2 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Ok, here's something interesting that's to consider:

as 1b Jose is .292/.318/.547/.865 (64 games)

as DH Jose is .231/.311/.436/.747 (22 games)

Is there something to that or do we think sample size is at work?

Abreu better pray it's a sample size issue... or else his days in major league baseball may be numbered. At the very least, his days of being relevant. 

Edited by Richie

2 hours ago, pcq said:

I could see two years plus option for Jose. JR wants to keep him I can assure you. He could get in better shape and perhaps extend his career.

Is Abreu in poor physical shape? He looks pretty damn strong and lean to me. At least, as lean as you'd want him. I don't see that as an issue. 

On 7/7/2019 at 6:51 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

There would be no decision to make.  He’d take the QO in a heartbeat.  Better, more desirable players have struggled with the QO, let alone a 32 year old, non-elite 1B / DH type.

The more I think about it, the Sox very well might go down the qualifying offer road with Abreu. There just is not reason to go beyond a two year deal for around $25 million at this point. Paying retail for an aging slugger would be a mistake. 

19 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

The more I think about it, the Sox very well might go down the qualifying offer road with Abreu. There just is not reason to go beyond a two year deal for around $25 million at this point. Paying retail for an aging slugger would be a mistake. 

There is no reason to give him anything more than a QO.

On 7/7/2019 at 10:40 AM, WBWSF said:

Abreu is a free agent at the end of this year. I can't help but wonder if some team offers him a big multi year contract if he takes it. It doesn't appear as if the White sox are going to give him a big multi year contract.

Abreu said to reporters today at the allstar game:

“That’s why I’m telling you guys that if the White Sox don’t sign me, I’m going to sign here anyway. I’m going to sign myself here. I’m going to be here, believe me. I’m going to be here.

“I don’t want to miss this, I don’t want to miss what is coming, and I’m going to be here.”

7 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Abreu said to reporters today at the allstar game:

“That’s why I’m telling you guys that if the White Sox don’t sign me, I’m going to sign here anyway. I’m going to sign myself here. I’m going to be here, believe me. I’m going to be here.

“I don’t want to miss this, I don’t want to miss what is coming, and I’m going to be here.”

This is kind of cringey.

7 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

This is kind of cringey.

Good.  Maybe he'll play for free.  Someone should ask him.  If he wants this team to succeed and build a winner he can offer two things this offseason:

1) become open to primary being a DH.  Maybe he could talk to Edgar or Frank about it I'm not kidding.  Edgar has said on Mariner radio out here that at the end of his career when he was DHing he learned to use the video room in the stadium in between ABs to try and get an edge and it helped him.  Jose need to learn similar tricks to the transition.

2) Offer a massive home town discount.  I'm talking 20-30% over fair market value.  Fair market value is probably 2 years 20 million (assuming he finishes around 120 wRC+ and 2 fWAR).

So take 2 years 16 million with a club option for 5 million on the back.  There, you're a Sox for the next three years most likely now do some winning and hit a shitload of important HR.

Also, given his love of Chicago the Sox need to get creative with the "personal services" side.  If he wants stuff for his wife and kids (luxury box, access to a team vehicle, and so on) give it to him no questions asked, as long as it's not a Drake LaRoche style request.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Just now, ron883 said:

He sounds like a creepy girlfriend who refuses the notion of you splitting up with her.

Sad.

As a fan of the laundry and not just the names on the back I'm thrilled.  Sounds like a guy that will take a massive home team discount so we can pay other guys that are (frankly) better and younger.  Everybody wins.

• Like 1

I think its admirable. The dude obviosuly loves it here and he obviously can still hit and anyone who says his offense is declining hasnt been watching the games. I love it that we have a player we can easily root for, someone who has been here through all the shit and still loves it.

He has been the one consistent guy we all could easily root for over the last few years. How can you even complain about him other than the defense?

He can easily still be a real good hitter when we are great again.

Btw, one of the guys on MLB network today said the Sox are the 2nd most likely team to be the next juggernaut in the MLB, behind only the Yankees and ahead of some of the teams that are already good, like the Braves and Phillies.

Jose deserves to be on the team.

This is why I said before we need to be careful about doing him wrong. If his feelings get hurt because he can't finish what he started when he took a chance on us, I see Moncada bouncing in four years to Miami. 

This being said, I'd offer him 3 years and 27 million to see if he bites. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

9 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Well when Moncada got to Chicago Jose was his first and most important contact. From the looks of it they hang out together a lot too. When people are not from this country and play a sport together where they are together all the time, the age gap is not as big of a deal. The Sox definitely need to consider this as Moncada is the main cog of the rebuild and we cannot lose him. 

Also, Yonder and Jay actually did well convincing Machado to play here. We just didn't do our part offering a competitive contract. 

Until Machado called them and asked about SD , they said it was great there apparently.Or one of them did . I just remember seeing it.

40 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I think its admirable. The dude obviosuly loves it here and he obviously can still hit and anyone who says his offense is declining hasnt been watching the games. I love it that we have a player we can easily root for, someone who has been here through all the shit and still loves it.

He has been the one consistent guy we all could easily root for over the last few years. How can you even complain about him other than the defense?

He can easily still be a real good hitter when we are great again.

Btw, one of the guys on MLB network today said the Sox are the 2nd most likely team to be the next juggernaut in the MLB, behind only the Yankees and ahead of some of the teams that are already good, like the Braves and Phillies.

Jose deserves to be on the team.

This is a good post. There are many that say it's a business decision . If you can get anything good then trade him and let Jose know if he wants to come back in 2020 the Sox will do all they can. I say this myself. It's the right decision.

Of course that's an opinion without sentiment. Really though we all love the Sox so there is always sentiment involved being a fan moreso towards the players than anyone else.  Abreu has been a model citizen, a leader and a mentor and not only that but he wants to stay with the Sox and perhaps be looked upon as a Sox Cuban Legend like Minnie MInoso and yeah maybe he wants Yoan to continue that tradition. All I know he is good for the team and a great White Sox but trading him still might be the right thing to do under the right conditions.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This is a good post. There are many that say it's a business decision . If you can get anything good then trade him and let Jose know if he wants to come back in 2020 the Sox will do all they can. I say this myself. It's the right decision.

Of course that's an opinion without sentiment. Really though we all love the Sox so there is always sentiment involved being a fan moreso towards the players than anyone else.  Abreu has been a model citizen, a leader and a mentor and not only that but he wants to stay with the Sox and perhaps be looked upon as a Sox Cuban Legend like Minnie MInoso and yeah maybe he wants Yoan to continue that tradition. All I know he is good for the team and a great White Sox but trading him still might be the right thing to do under the right conditions.

What if Jose doesn't want to go there and wants to be a lifer here? What if he wants his first ring to be here as it would mean more to him?

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

What if Jose doesn't want to go there and wants to be a lifer here? What if he wants his first ring to be here as it would mean more to him?

Let's say he gets traded to the Rangers . I doubt her gets a ring there. I think the Sox could convince him that they would take him back. There's no guarantee he will get a ring with the Sox so if he has a chance he should go for it.  A player probably shouldn't be saying I don't want to go because it severely undercuts his leverage in negotiations. The Sox response in a situation like that might be to offer him less, but maybe they are fair about it. Who knows.

My guess is the Sox hold onto him. As far as what they do after that . I have no idea  if they offer him multiple years or just keep going year by year Jose probably would take a qualifying offer but do the Sox want to pay him $18Mfor a year or offer him 3 years and $36 or something like that ? I guess we will find out.

20 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I would extend him for two years and go from there.

• Thanks 1