All Star Jose Abreu

soxfan49

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Let's say he gets traded to the Rangers . I doubt her gets a ring there. I think the Sox could convince him that they would take him back. There's no guarantee he will get a ring with the Sox so if he has a chance he should go for it.  A player probably shouldn't be saying I don't want to go because it severely undercuts his leverage in negotiations. The Sox response in a situation like that might be to offer him less, but maybe they are fair about it. Who knows.

My guess is the Sox hold onto him. As far as what they do after that . I have no idea  if they offer him multiple years or just keep going year by year Jose probably would take a qualifying offer but do the Sox want to pay him $18Mfor a year or offer him 3 years and $36 or something like that ? I guess we will find out.

Well he li6st his leverage then because he did just that. 

3 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Abreu said to reporters today at the allstar game:

“That’s why I’m telling you guys that if the White Sox don’t sign me, I’m going to sign here anyway. I’m going to sign myself here. I’m going to be here, believe me. I’m going to be here.

“I don’t want to miss this, I don’t want to miss what is coming, and I’m going to be here.”

My man you can think it all you want, but don’t say it. Leverage baby. 

3 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Abreu said to reporters today at the allstar game:

“That’s why I’m telling you guys that if the White Sox don’t sign me, I’m going to sign here anyway. I’m going to sign myself here. I’m going to be here, believe me. I’m going to be here.

“I don’t want to miss this, I don’t want to miss what is coming, and I’m going to be here.”

Bless you, Jose Abreu. Every Sox fan should hope you get 14 mill a year the next 3 years. Anybody who wants jerry to stuff more money in his wallet and deny Jose a few bills needs professional help IMO. Pay the player. It's just three years. Sox have wasted so much cash on players starting with Dunn and LaRoche through last season's ridiculous sign-the-stiffs-fest. Why can't Jose hoard some well deserved cash? Pay.The.Man. two years, team option year three and that's it. After that, one year deals like Konerko til he's finished.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If you can get anything good then trade him and let Jose know if he wants to come back in 2020 the Sox will do all they can. I say this myself. It's the right decision."

Anything good. Your post makes me want to cry. Anything good? He's good for gawd's sake. People's love of the unknown in sports just slays me. What about Jose Abreu makes you want to trade him for "anything good." Define "anything good." I'll define Jose as "very good." And he's not going to decline THAT much in his age 33 and 34 seasons no matter what modern baseball says. If he does, tough. Sox have paid some horrible baseball players a lot of money in the past 10 years.

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

So take 2 years 16 million with a club option for 5 million on the back.  There, you're a Sox for the next three years most likely now do some winning and hit a shitload of important HR.

Just curious why you think he's worth that little amount. Is it SOLELY his age and his perceived being overweight? Two years 16 million isn't even enough for Leury. Beckham with the Tigers should be making at least that much. Geez.

Edited by greg775

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Just curious why you think he's worth that little amount. Is it SOLELY his age and his perceived being overweight? Two years 16 million isn't even enough for Leury.

I'm on your side Greg.  Abreu can be traded in an overpay IMO.  Other than that situation I would give him two years at 12 million per with an option of some sort that would make it work.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I'm on your side Greg.  Abreu can be traded in an overpay IMO.  Other than that situation I would give him two years at 12 million per with an option of some sort that would make it work.

As much as I worship Jose I'll play devil's advocate. If we did trade him next week or at the deadline here's what we'd get: Somebody like Rutherford and Polo with some former 18th round pitcher who is 26 thrown in for good measure. Our fans would be all happy thinking the 18th round pitcher has shown promise with some advanced stat category in AA ball and say the Rutherford/Polo clones have a lotta tools. I say gimme Abreu baby. Don't need Rutherford, Polo (type players) and a 15th round pitcher to be named later. I hope all the fans with Abreu jerseys boycott if we trade him.

Edited by greg775

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Just curious why you think he's worth that little amount. Is it SOLELY his age and his perceived being overweight? Two years 16 million isn't even enough for Leury. Beckham with the Tigers should be making at least that much. Geez.

I dunno have you been paying attention to what 1.5-2.5 WAR 33 year old DHs get in FA?

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

As much as I worship Jose I'll play devil's advocate. If we did trade him next week or at the deadline here's what we'd get: Somebody like Rutherford and Polo with some former 18th round pitcher who is 26 thrown in for good measure. Our fans would be all happy thinking the 18th round pitcher has shown promise with some advanced stat category in AA ball and Rutherford/Polo clones have a lotta tools. I say gimme Abreu baby. Don't need Rutherford, Polo (type players) and a 15th round pitcher to be named later. I hope all the fans with Abreu jerseys boycott if we trade him.

I don't consider those guys overpays.  I want a major league ready right fielder or 2/3 starter type.  Jose is a 3 time All Star not a cast off.

Just now, poppysox said:

I don't consider those guys overpays.  I want a major league ready right fielder or 2/3 starter type.  Jose is a 3 time All Star not a cast off.

Not to be a dick, but we had a major league ready RF in Avi. We're not getting a major league ready RF or 2/3 starter for Jose. It's because he plays 1B and not all that well. Some other teams think the same way as our message board fans do. No way they'll give up current MLB talent for a first baseman who is very very good but will probably get into 2 lengthy slumps per season. Jose is human. He'll give you .280 with 34 home runs and 110 RBI the next two seasons. After that, yeah he'll probably start Konerko-ing a bit.

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I dunno have you been paying attention to what 1.5-2.5 WAR 33 year old DHs get in FA?

I prefer to limit WAR to card playing. I don't study that particular advanced stat much.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Not to be a dick, but we had a major league ready RF in Avi. We're not getting a major league ready RF or 2/3 starter for Jose. It's because he plays 1B and not all that well. Some other teams think the same way as our message board fans do. No way they'll give up current MLB talent for a first baseman who is very very good but will probably get into 2 lengthy slumps per season. Jose is human. He'll give you .280 with 34 home runs and 110 RBI the next two seasons. After that, yeah he'll probably start Konerko-ing a bit.

As I've said in many post concerning trading either Abreu or Colome...you don't need everyone to agree on their worth.  You only need one team that thinks they are difference makers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Bless you, Jose Abreu. Every Sox fan should hope you get 14 mill a year the next 3 years. Anybody who wants jerry to stuff more money in his wallet and deny Jose a few bills needs professional help IMO. Pay the player. It's just three years. Sox have wasted so much cash on players starting with Dunn and LaRoche through last season's ridiculous sign-the-stiffs-fest. Why can't Jose hoard some well deserved cash? Pay.The.Man. two years, team option year three and that's it. After that, one year deals like Konerko til he's finished.

Doesn't he come across as desperate? Give him one year deals like you did to Konerko, NOW. If he has a bad year, bye bye Jose. Thanks for the memories. If he has a good year, sign him to another 1 year deal. 

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Anything good. Your post makes me want to cry. Anything good? He's good for gawd's sake. People's love of the unknown in sports just slays me. What about Jose Abreu makes you want to trade him for "anything good." Define "anything good." I'll define Jose as "very good." And he's not going to decline THAT much in his age 33 and 34 seasons no matter what modern baseball says. If he does, tough. Sox have paid some horrible baseball players a lot of money in the past 10 years.

Sure ignore the rest of my post when I praised him greatly. There's nothing wrong with getting a useful piece for him then bringing him back in 2020 . It would be like we kept him all along and got something for renting him out to another team for a few months. What's not to like about that ? It also gives Jose a chance to maybe get a ring or increase his value when he's a free agent if he has a good playoff series.  It seems to be good for Jose and for the Sox. But you selfishly want to keep him for August and September and sacrifice anything that can help the team while also having a good chance to reacquire him, What good will come from keeping Abreu on the Sox for those 2 or 2 .5 months ? Will he lead the Sox into the playoffs ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sure ignore the rest of my post when I praised him greatly. There's nothing wrong with getting a useful piece for him then bringing him back in 2020 . It would be like we kept him all along and got something for renting him out to another team for a few months. What's not to like about that ? It also gives Jose a chance to maybe get a ring or increase his value when he's a free agent if he has a good playoff series.  It seems to be good for Jose and for the Sox. But you selfishly want to keep him for August and September and sacrifice anything that can help the team while also having a good chance to reacquire him, What good will come from keeping Abreu on the Sox for those 2 or 2 .5 months ? Will he lead the Sox into the playoffs ?

I just can't imagine the Sox being able to pull that off: To ship him off for 3 good prospects then simply bring him back via free agency. Somebody said the Yankees have done such a thing. Call me skeptical there wouldn't be hard feelings or after a couple months and a postseason at the new place, especially if they make the WS, I can't imagine just getting Jose back. I mean maybe what u describe will become commonplace. It certainly isn't common practice rite now.

Is there any way Jose declines the QO? I don't think anybody will sign him until midseason like Kimbrel and Keuchel if he has the draft pick compensation attached to him. Its either he signs the 1/18m~ qualifying offer, or he goes to 2 or 3 years at a discounted price. 2/24 possibly. The White Sox hold all the cards here.

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

I just can't imagine the Sox being able to pull that off: To ship him off for 3 good prospects then simply bring him back via free agency. Somebody said the Yankees have done such a thing. Call me skeptical there wouldn't be hard feelings or after a couple months and a postseason at the new place, especially if they make the WS, I can't imagine just getting Jose back. I mean maybe what u describe will become commonplace. It certainly isn't common practice rite now.

The Yankees did it when they traded Chapman to the Cubs.  He was purely a rental and signed right back with the Yanks in the off season. 

I don't think Abreu will cost too much to re-sign:

“We’re going to be very, very good. That’s why I’m telling you guys that if the White Sox don’t sign me, I’m going to sign here anyway. I’m going to sign myself here. I’m going to be here, believe me. I’m going to be here. I don’t want to miss this, I don’t want to miss what is coming, and I’m going to be here.”

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

Is there any way Jose declines the QO? I don't think anybody will sign him until midseason like Kimbrel and Keuchel if he has the draft pick compensation attached to him. Its either he signs the 1/18m~ qualifying offer, or he goes to 2 or 3 years at a discounted price. 2/24 possibly. The White Sox hold all the cards here.

The Sox don't have to make him a QO. They can let him walk without one, plus, if he accepts, which he would, then it's around $18M for 2020 which the Sox probably don't want to pay him. That's why we are seeing speculation of a 2 or 3 year extension at much lower AAV.

If they don't offer him a QO then he can sign with any team including the White Sox for any offer he wants to accept.

If the Sox prefer to go year to year with Jose it's probably best not to offer him a QO because when he accepts it at $18M and if he has a good year then they have to do it all over again the next season probably at around $19M . It's better to not offer one and resign him at a lower AAV. But then you are taking the chance someone else offers him a much better deal than the Sox are willing to pay. However given the fact he wants to stay on the Sox really bad judging by his comments it's highly doubtful he accepts another offer unless it blows away the Sox offer.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Can we go to him and say "hey, we have this opportunity to trade you to a contender. You can go get some playoff experience then we would love to have you back next year. If you don't want to go we will keep you here. We think we can get a player or 2 for next year and you get to bring some playoff experience to our roster if we do this. We would even be willing to over pay you a bit to come back. What do you say?"

7 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

Can we go to him and say "hey, we have this opportunity to trade you to a contender. You can go get some playoff experience then we would love to have you back next year. If you don't want to go we will keep you here. We think we can get a player or 2 for next year and you get to bring some playoff experience to our roster if we do this. We would even be willing to over pay you a bit to come back. What do you say?"

I suggested that earlier in the thread. Some kind of handshake agreement between Jose and the Sox. Since Jose wants to be here for the good years he should agree that the Sox will resign him after trading him. Since he wants to be here then how can be object to being traded if it gives the Sox another legit piece for the years he wants to be here? His agent might not like it and would prefer to field offers once Abreu becomes a FA but Jose is unique in that he doesn't seem to be money driven since his comments blew to hell any leverage in negotiations.

In all honesty I don't think they trade him because the offers they get for him might not be worth it. But still the possibility of getting a nice return for him does exist even if it's not likely. If he isn't traded he might hit 40 HRs this year.

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

It can easily be accomplished since he wants to play for the Sox and the Sox value him as a player and leader.

Secondly I don't see how my posts make you want to cry. I am basically saying the same thing as Poppysox. If you can get a good return for him trade him then resign him or extend him if they can't get what they want for him.

46 minutes ago, South Sider said:

I love Abreu. I'm all for keeping him around to eat the sweet, sweet fruits of this rebuild. He wants to win, and he wants to win where he put in blood, sweat and tears to build a winner. 

Seems like the kind of guy we should want to keep around.