And that’s a white Sox Twinkie slaying series win

bmags

Was hoping that they'd call the game because of concerns about the bullpen keeping the Twins in check. They almost didn't. Marshall now is regressing rapidly.

Glad Gio turned things around though, he's got one more start against a tough team (Cubs) then he probably won't have to go through a stretch like this (Cubs twice, Red Sox, Twins) again.

Would have been satisfied with them going 5-10 in this stretch due to the circumstances...the fact that they went 7-8 is not bad at all! 

And they seemed to have some nice crowds as well.

Edited by Lip Man 1

Players like Encarnacion and Cruz prove that guys can still hit, in their late 30's, if they can stay healthy. It isn't the age itself, it's obviously the way age increases one's vulnerability to injury. Miguel Cabrera would still be doing the same, if he had been able to stay healthy. He always seemed like a guy who didn't take very good care of himself. It's a good thing that Abreu has tried to get in better shape. He looks more fit now, than he did about 3 years ago. My point is that at 32, Jose should not be considered "done". 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

Players like Encarnacion and Cruz prove that guys can still hit, in their late 30's, if they can stay healthy. It isn't the age itself, it's obviously the way age increases one's vulnerability to injury. Miguel Cabrera would still be doing the same, if he had been able to stay healthy. He always seemed like a guy who didn't take very good care of himself. It's a good thing that Abreu has tried to get in better shape. He looks more fit now, than he did about 3 years ago. My point is that at 32, Jose should not be considered "done". 

Cruz is a roider. Take him with a grain of salt, regardless of whether or not he's clean now. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Rather incredible the team is hanging in there with so many injuries and effectively one big league quality starter in their rotation.  Moncada turning into a star sure helps.

With this rotation is startling that they can win like this.

9 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Cruz is a roider. Take him with a grain of salt, regardless of whether or not he's clean now. 

Do you think that he's still using PEDs? How naive of me? And I thought that MLB had pretty much cleaned up the steroid issue. Perhaps the ball is not the only thing that's "juiced". As an "old time" baseball fan, there is a lot about the game today that I don't consider an improvement. The game was a lot more interesting before the home run became its dominant feature. What a shame. I suppose that the Brits found all of those homers and huge offensive outputs delightful. It's probably all part of the same grand scheme of things: Make the game even more international and use the home run as the main attraction. Nevertheless, as hard as they may try to ruin the sport, it's still the best game ever devised.

Edited by Lillian

2 hours ago, Orlando said:

If  the sox would have signed Cruz like it was rumored, he'd have 40 hr by now lol

Or given recent history he'd be hitting .195 with eight home runs. Just seems to happen that way the past few years.

Edited by Lip Man 1

It might not mean anything but I do not want our young players to get the idea in their heads that they cannot beat Minnesota.  Put that previous ass whooping sweep in the rear view mirror.  They came to town and we won 2 out of 3, that'll work.  For too many years, the Sox just looked like they were waiting for something to go wrong in those games, especially up in the dome.

1 hour ago, wegner said:

It might not mean anything but I do not want our young players to get the idea in their heads that they cannot beat Minnesota.  Put that previous ass whooping sweep in the rear view mirror.  They came to town and we won 2 out of 3, that'll work.  For too many years, the Sox just looked like they were waiting for something to go wrong in those games, especially up in the dome.

I like that this crew seems to get up for big games. Bullpens haven't always held them recently, but felt like they've held up against starting pitchers offensively.

• Like 1

Somehow find a way to go 4-2 this week and the Sox are sitting in a decent place heading into the ASG.  I think taking 3/4 from Detroit should be doable.  

As for the Twins, its a good thing they got off to such a hot start.  Their pitching is coming back to reality and will continue to do so, and it's unlikely all of their regulars crush their preseason projections like they did in the 1st half.  They have enough of a cushion that they can play .500 ball the rest of the season and still win 93 games.  They should still easily win the division, but IMO, they need to do a lot of work to that pitching staff to have any real chances at even making the World Series.  Much more likely to get swept or lose 3/4 to the Yankees in the first round, like they are so apt at doing.