Tyler Skaggs has died

soxfan49

I saw this a half hour ago when it broke on MLB Network. My jaw dropped. I had just watched him pitch over the weekend vs Oakland. 

Only 27 years old and now leaves his young wife behind as a widow. Horrible. 

Reports are now surfacing that he was "found" dead. So, it sounds like something in his sleep... heart attack, brain hemorrhage, etc. Probably was nowhere to found all morning before the team had the hotel do a wellness check. The Angels manager said in a 4 PM CT presser they received word of his death at 2:30 CT. I would presume he was pronounced dead just prior to that.

That's all the information the public has at this point. 

Edited by Richie

These things really kill me. Celebrity deaths typically don't have much impact on me. I always try to save my emotional attachments for those around me but something about teammate deaths destroys me. The bond. The brotherhood. The love you have for even the guys you don't share the same views, political opinions, and moral compass with is immense. 

The reality and absolutness of death has always shook me. Its uncontrollable. The bond you make being around your guys 150 days a year in college and even high school+travel is amazing. I go almost an entire year without seeing my old teammates from college and high school - sometimes longer - as I've gotten older but every year we host all the guys at my parents home over the 4th of July - where I'm headed now. Everytime we see each other, it's like we never missed a beat or an at bat. This year it's only going to be 11 of us as families grow and commitments cause us to go a year or two without making the time, but it'll be a great time and is one of my favorite times of year. Even losing one of those guys now would be like losing a piece of myself as I grew up. I cant even imagine losing one of the pieces of the clubhouse while you're playing. Everyone had their roll and their impact and not having that person around leaves such a massive hole.

Trout's tweet summed it up so well. I know their mothers and fathers... brothers and sisters... and now their wives and kids. The loss for me, selfishly, would be hard enough but you've bonded with their loved ones and imaging the loss for them just destroys me. It's no different than celebrity deaths and I wish I could seperate my emotions from it like I do theres but something about being in a clubhouse for so long makes it so much more personal even though rationally that makes no sense because it's not my clubhouse in regards to skaggs. 

Life is so fragile and unpredictable. Sometimes you can lose track of that along the way... until something that feels so personal despite being so distant, slaps you upside the face and reminds you to cherish your time with those who helped you grow because their impacts are infinite despite their life being uncertain.

RIP Tyler. You were far too young.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

8 hours ago, Jake said:

I wonder...if a player had a drug problem, would they be tested frequently enough for that to be caught before it spiraled out of control?

Bet Josh Hamilton would be able to tell you. 

I'm not sure that there's much to read into with this autopsy stuff. Maybe if it's suicide or drug overdose, the family would be worried about people deciding to stop memorializing him or something. But it might also just be that they want the public attention to die down as soon as it can and the release of an autopsy report so soon will prolong the story into a couple more news cycles.

On 7/3/2019 at 9:29 AM, pettie4sox said:

@ptatc can you chime in on what could have happened baseball wise?

I have no idea what could possibly baseball related. Short of getting hit hit with the ball it's not game related. 

27 year old just don’t drop dead. Maybe he slipped and hit his head, but that would probably have come out.chances are it is either some sort of defect with his heart or brain, a suicide or an overdose. They probably have a pretty good idea of what it is, and probably don’t want the Angels to have to answer the same questions about it in every city they go. Wait until October and it will sort of fade away.

Edited by Dick Allen

• 1 month later...

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2019-08-30/tyler-skaggs-autopsy-report-fentanyl-oxycodone-alcohol-angels-rusty-hardin

Blood tests showed 3.8 nanograms per milliliter of fentanyl in Skaggs’ system, which experts said is a significant amount but not outrageously high. Autopsy blood tests have shown nanograms per millileter levels of over 100.

“The level of fentanyl is a significant amount that could produce death,” said Cyril Wecht, a Pittsburgh forensic pathologist with 40 years of experience. “In this case, oxycodone and alcohol were also present and would have contributed to the death because they are also central nervous system depressants.”

The autopsy report noted the absence of norfentanyl, a metabolite of fentanyl, which Wecht said “means that fentanyl was ingested not long before death occurred.”

Tests showed 38 nanograms per milliliter of the prescription-strength pain killer oxycodone, the use of which is prohibited by Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program, and a blood-alcohol level of 0.122%. A 0.08% limit is considered legally impaired. Fentanyl is not specifically listed on MLB’s banned substance list, but as a “drug of abuse” on the federal Drug Enforcement Administration list, its use is automatically prohibited by MLB.

On 8/31/2019 at 5:38 AM, pcq said:

Fentanyl is worse than the opies. Suppressed CNS lead to aspiration and choking. The parents want blood from the club member who was with him and forced Tyler to take drugs. 

Could you elaborate on this statement some more?  Unless you have some insider info, I don't think that it's right to say that but that's IMO.

On 8/31/2019 at 2:33 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

Sad story but Skaggs was a grown ass man capable of making his own bad decisions.  No one forced him to put anything in his body.

The parents are going after the team and its representatives. If they can prove it was a representative of the team that gave him these and prove that they told him it would help the pain, it could get interesting. They didn't "force" him to but if it was supplied by and suggested by a team representative, they could have a case.

This seems really hard to prove but it looks like the have the money to pursue the investigation and lawsuit.