GT: Tigers (27-52) @ White Sox (39-42), July 2

soxfan49

31 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Would love to go into the AS break with an above .500 team.  

That'd be pretty awesome, but a 5-1 week is a lot to ask.  3/4 from the Tigers and splitting with the Cubbie would make me very happy.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

That'd be pretty awesome, but a 5-1 week is a lot to ask.  3/4 from the Tigers and splitting with the Cubbie would make me very happy.  

Detroit is crapola and Cubs are beatable.  When the going gets tough...the tough get going.

With Giolito, Lopez and Nova being the only obvious starters, who is most likely to fill the other 2 rotation slots, for the remainder of the season? Are there any other candidates besides Cease, Santiago, Banuelos, Detwiler and Covey? Could Fulmer get another shot? Is Kubat a possibility? My guess is that they will try Cease and either Covey or Santiago. I wouldn't mind giving Detwiler another start.

Lillian,

I'm assuming Cease will be slotted in the rest of the year. Even if he struggles at times, he will be given the innings no doubt. In regards to that 5th spot (the black hole), I expect it to be a never ending carousel between the guys you listed above. It would be neat if Fulmer can fix his issues. Maybe that can even do the 'opener' route with multiple pitchers on that 5th day?

20 minutes ago, Lillian said:

With Giolito, Lopez and Nova being the only obvious starters, who is most likely to fill the other 2 rotation slots, for the remainder of the season? Are there any other candidates besides Cease, Santiago, Banuelos, Detwiler and Covey? Could Fulmer get another shot? Is Kubat a possibility? My guess is that they will try Cease and either Covey or Santiago. I wouldn't mind giving Detwiler another start.

I'd go Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Nova and Detwiler with Covey taking Nova's spot if he continues to suck or Detwiler's if he goes back to form.

Edited by soxfan49

27 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Cease, Gio, Lopey, Nova, and soon Covey. 

I think after how well he did, I think you have to give Detwiler another start, or even a couple starts.

Also, I think you have to work Covey in there somewhere. 

I could see the Sox doing some sort of 6-man rotation to cut down on Cease's innings and therefore his starts. If Detwiler falls apart, it will be Bansuelos and Santiago, probably with Santiago getting first nod over Banuelos.

20 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I'd go Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Nova and Detwiler with Covey taking Nova's spot if he continues to suck or Detwiler's if he goes back to form.

Idk Nova's brand of suck is fine to me. He seems to default to 4 runs over 6 innings, which is bad, but it's watchable enough.

God this rotation sucks.

Well, maybe it will turn out to be a blessing in disguise, if someone emerges as a viable 5TH starter, to join next year's rotation of Giolito, Kopech, Cease and Lopez. If that happened, the Sox wouldn't need to sign any more than one solid starter, who could replace the weakest of those 5. Moreover, the remaining guys might well have demonstrated the ability to at least provide some depth, with all of the injuries, which seem to be inevitable. Ultimately, they may get some help from returning TJS patients; Dunning, Puckett and Rodon. Of course, the latter may not even remain on the roster, if the front office decides to not tender him. I'm intrigued to see what Puckett has to offer. He has been injured ever since he was acquired and has thus been pretty much forgotten about. 

Edited by Lillian

3 minutes ago, chitown87 said:

Call me insane, but I still see some potential in Covey

Same, I think if the sox get realistic with him he would pair well with an opener. He has trouble maintaining stuff and some poor control outings, but also some serious high swing and miss stuff when its on. 

24 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Well, maybe it will turn out to be a blessing in disguise, if someone emerges as a viable 5TH starter, to join next year's rotation of Giolito, Kopech, Cease and Lopez. If that happened, the Sox wouldn't need to sign any more than one solid starter, who could replace the weakest of those 5. Moreover, the remaining guys might well have demonstrated the ability to at least provide some depth, with all of the injuries, which seem to be inevitable. Ultimately, they may get some help from returning TJS patients; Dunning, Puckett and Rodon. Of course, the latter may not even remain on the roster, if the front office decides to not tender him. I'm intrigued to see what Puckett has to offer. He has been injured ever since he was acquired and has thus been pretty much forgotten about. 

The Sox are signing two starters as we have basically zero organizational depth in the upper minors.  That will allow us to either push Kopech to AAA to start 2020 or move Lopez to the bullpen, both options allowing us to go six deep to starter the starter.

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

Same, I think if the sox get realistic with him he would pair well with an opener. He has trouble maintaining stuff and some poor control outings, but also some serious high swing and miss stuff when its on. 

I'd actually like to see them use him as an OPENER.  I think he's usually good for a couple times through then his lack of a viable 3rd pitch starts to play and he has problems finishing off guys with 2 strikes or even getting to 2 strikes.

Use him as an opener for Lopez.

28 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

I can't believe I am saying this, but I can't wait until Welington is back so he can DH against LHP, and Collins can do what he should be doing and DH against all RHP. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I can believe I am saying this, but I can't wait until Welington is back so he can DH against LHP, and Collins can do what he should be doing and DH against all RHP. 

Collins lack of play is beyond absurd at this point.  

• Like 2

Just now, SouthWallace said:

Collins lack of play is beyond absurd at this point.  

We've faced alot of LHP recently, so some of it makes sense.  But the fact he hasn't DH'd in a handful of games against RHP is very puzzling, indeed.  

• Thanks 2