FS: Sox sign five on International Signing Day 2019

Rankin

As expected, the White Sox were able to ink Cuban shortstop Yolbert Sanchez and Dominican teen Elijah Tatis during the current international signing period. They also grabbed three others, including a 16-year-old 6-3, 180 pound pitcher who clocked in at 86-88mph.

Stay up on all the information with our coverage.

21 minutes ago, Quin said:

So we got a Tatis cousin?

Fate is cruel.

So we signed Tatis Jr.'s younger brother and cousin?  Hahn is desperately trying to make up for his epic failure of a trade.

Yolbert Sanchez's age and the money he signed for tells me Yolmer is as good as gone.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

12 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

So we signed Tatis Jr.'s younger brother and cousin?  Hahn is desperately trying to make up for his epic failure of a trade.

Yolbert Sanchez's age and the money he signed for tells me Yolmer is as good as gone.

I wonder if he will soon go by Carlos. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yolmer (or Carlos) just is what he is at this point and that is a .634 OPS, worse than last year and the year before.  You can't continue to pay a backup infielder millions when he can't hit a lick.  Dude is being paid $4.625 million this year.  A good organization has a backup infielder ready in their farm system that can OPS .634 and play good defense for the minimum.  The Sox apparently can't develop a defense first backup infielder, so they signed Yolbert Sanchez for $2.5 million to replace Gatorade Man.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yolmer (or Carlos) just is what he is at this point and that is a .634 OPS, worse than last year and the year before.  You can't continue to pay a backup infielder millions when he can't hit a lick.  Dude is being paid $4.625 million this year.  A good organization has a backup infielder ready in their farm system that can OPS .634 and play good defense for the minimum.  The Sox apparently can't develop a defense first backup infielder, so they signed Yolbert Sanchez for $2.5 million to replace Gatorade Man.

Jesus dude, do you do anything but whine?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jesus dude, do you do anything but whine?

How is that whining?  I literally spelled out why the Sox signed Yolbert.  Yolmer will be gone next year.  Yolbert will replace him.  Do you disagree with my logic and point?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

29 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

How is that whining?  I literally spelled out why the Sox signed Yolbert.  Yolmer will be gone next year.  Yolbert will replace him.  Do you disagree with my logic and point?

And here we go again with you...

You remind me of Tony's mother in The Sopranos. 

Have fun with your latest pissing contest. 

6 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

You have absolutely zero proof that the Sox signed Yolbert to replace Sanchez and have simply constructed a narrative to support your negative outlook on all things White Sox (see your commentary on the Tatis-related signings above).

Also, there is zero chance Yolbert is on the Sox next year.  My guess is he starts next year in High A and finishes in AA if things go well.  We’re talking about a 22 year that hasn’t played in a year and OPS’ed below .600 in the Cuban League when he last did.  This kid is a project with some interesting tools, but will need a couple years of development (especially with the bat) before he’s ready for the show.  His addition literally has nothing to do with Yolmer or our current major league needs and is all about adding more middle infield depth to the system.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You have absolutely zero proof that the Sox signed Yolbert to replace Sanchez and have simply constructed a narrative to support your negative outlook on all things White Sox (see your commentary on the Tatis-related signings above).

Also, there is zero chance Yolbert is on the Sox next year.  My guess is he starts next year in High A and finishes in AA if things go well.  We’re talking about a 22 year that hasn’t played in a year and OPS’ed below .600 in the Cuban League when he last did.  This kid is a project with some interesting tools, but will need a couple years of development (especially with the bat) before he’s ready for the show.  His addition literally has nothing to do with Yolmer or our current major league needs and is all about adding more middle infield depth to the system.

Okay, I can see that viewpoint.  But to say the two Tatis relative signings are unrelated to the original guy that was foolishly traded seems a bit tough to believe.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Okay, I can see that viewpoint.  But to say the two Tatis signings are unrelated to the original guy that was foolishly traded seems a bit tough to believe.

They are related. The original signing created a relationship with the tatis family that Paddy was able to use to sign two additional prospects. Bloodlines are often a plus in projecting 16 year olds.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Okay, I can see that viewpoint.  But to say the two Tatis relative signings are unrelated to the original guy that was foolishly traded seems a bit tough to believe.

The last thing Hahn wants to do is bring more attention to the worst trade he’s ever made.  The fact that he’s willing to go back to the Tatis well shows he’s willing to the organization over his own ego.  How anyone could rip him for signing Tatis’ relatives is absolutely nuts to me.

13 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't know.

Sounds like good natured sibling rivalry to me.

They say Baby Bro may be the more talented.

Damn, how frightening is that ?

LOL.

Certainly opens up a scenario down the road where they could end up playing together.

Big Bro would just be hitting his prime.

I hope whoever is operating the Sox by then don't F that up.

Maybe that's a plan already in motion.

And if it is, they certainly don't want Big Bro lamenting the Sox traded him.

This rebuild of the Chicago White Sox could be far more reaching than ever I thought possible.

The Sox rebuild may be more on the order of the Astros than the Cubs.  The Cubs barely made it through the only World Series their rebuild has produced.

All I heard was Bulls-like 3 peat chants. That hasn't quite worked out for St. Theo.  Man he gave up a lot for that Chapman rental.

But the Cubs are supposedly starting their own network. They had to win.  And they have to keep winning.

I believe the next Series in Chicago will be played on South Side. I'm not impressed with the Cubs pitching.

Edited by GradMc

On 7/2/2019 at 10:15 PM, Moan4Yoan said:

Yolmer isnt a good defensive infielder, hes a GREAT defensive infielder.  Hes also a great clubhouse guy and had an awful slump to start the year.  His offense will pick back up.  

3 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Yolmer isnt a good defensive infielder, hes a GREAT defensive infielder.  Hes also a great clubhouse guy and had an awful slump to start the year.  His offense will pick back up.  

His offense will pick up to what?  He’s just not a good hitter (.659 career OPS) and not worth what he will get via salary arbitration ($6M?) next offseason.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

3 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

His offense will pick up to what?  He’s just not a good hitter (.659 career OPS) and not worth what he will get via salary arbitration ($6M?) next offseason.

Considering the last two years he was worth 6.1 bWAR and 3.7 fWAR, he's easily worth $6million a year.  His career OPS is also weighed down by his first three years when he was sub .600.  the last two years he's been right around .700.  

I've got no issue whatsoever giving $6million to a utility infielder who plays plus defense at every position, has great range, and is a great clubhouse presence.  That's actually a bargain for what he brings to the table.  He's exactly the type of bench player you want on the team when we start to compete again.  

• Like 3

• Rankin unpinned this topic