GT: Tigers (27-53) @ White Sox (40-42), July 3

soxfan49

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

This is not a tough decision. You keep one of the best players in your team's history. Geez.

This is just wrong.  You have to consider what some team would give up for Abreu's services.  You can say you won't trade him, but if someone offers up something insane, Hahn has to strongly consider making a move.

4 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

This is just wrong.  You have to consider what some team would give up for Abreu's services.  You can say you won't trade him, but if someone offers up something insane, Hahn has to strongly consider making a move.

If you don't believe in the intangibles of sports and what it means to have an established star, I can't help you. You don't fricking trade Jose Abreu, the heart and soul of the fricking team. If you do, you deserve last place and I mean that. At some point, cold hard stats have to be balanced with common sense. 

5 minutes ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

I agree.  He's worth so much to this team...you'll have to give us an insane deal to take him from the Sox.

Yea but he is a free agent  so he can always spend a few months with a contender , maybe Texas , then come right back to the Sox as a FA  like he never left. That way we get a player or 2 and Jose too.

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yea but he is a free agent  so he can always spend a few months with a contender , maybe Texas , then come right back to the Sox as a FA  like he never left. That way we get a player or 2 and Jose too.

How often does that happen? Getting traded is a deep insult to a player. They never immediately return. The commissioner in fact would probably nullify it via collusion. There's no wink, wink like "See you in a couple months, Jose. You'll be back with us next season for sure." It's a deep pain in that you've been traded. You peeps that want to trade Jose slay me. He turns 33 in January. Even if he suddenly hits .150 during his year 33 season, I hope he gets to count a lot of Jerry's money in the future. He's earned it.  

Sox fans that want to trade Abreu have no concern about clubhouse leaders and fan favorites and intangibles. If we ever make the postseason again, part of the dream of the team will be to get Abreu a ring. Trade him and have no veterans and no leaders and see how far you go. "Let's win Palka a ring, fellas! Let's win McCann a ring! That's the ticket."

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, greg775 said:

How often does that happen? Getting traded is a deep insult to a player. They never immediately return. The commissioner in fact would probably nullify it via collusion. There's no wink, wink like "See you in a couple months, Jose. You'll be back with us next season for sure." It's a deep pain in that you've been traded. You peeps that want to trade Jose slay me. He turns 33 in January. Even if he suddenly hits .150 during his year 33 season, I hope he gets to count a lot of Jerry's money in the future. He's earned it.  

Sox fans that want to trade Abreu have no concern about clubhouse leaders and fan favorites and intangibles. If we ever make the season again, part of the dream of the team is to get Abreu a ring. Trade him and have no veterans and no leaders and see how far you go. "Let's win Palka a ring, fellas! Let's win McCann a ring! That's the ticket."

You mean like the when the Yankees traded Chapman for Gleybar Torres and then immediately resigned him that offseason.  Yeah, terrible move by the Yankees there.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You mean like the when the Yankees traded Chapman for Gleybar Torres and then immediately resigned him that offseason.  Yeah, terrible move by the Yankees there.

Yeah, and he won a World Series getting traded lol.  I'm pretty sure Jose would be fine with a trade if he goes on to win a World Series...And I'm also sure he would jump at the chance to re-sign with the Whitesox in the offseason.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Sox fans that want to trade Abreu have no concern about clubhouse leaders and fan favorites and intangibles. If we ever make the postseason again, part of the dream of the team will be to get Abreu a ring. Trade him and have no veterans and no leaders and see how far you go. "Let's win Palka a ring, fellas! Let's win McCann a ring! That's the ticket."

I highly doubt there's any rule that says a player and team can agree to trade him and when he becomes a FA then resign him. They could probably even agree on an amount of money, draw up a contract and the commish couldn't do anything about it.  Now his agent might not like the idea because if he's a free agent , maybe you do want to test the market for a little while and maybe get a better offer than the Sox would give. But if Jose really wants to come back after a deadline trade it really is in both the Sox and Jose's best interest.

1 hour ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Superstitions are for north siders.  I suggest you take your bum ass there.  

No need for more sarcastic negativity here.

Lol, tell that to the 05 team that played a Journey song on repeat for most of the season. 

Just now, gusguyman said:

Lol, tell that to the 05 team that played a Journey song on repeat for most of the season. 

The 05 team, which went wire to wire and lost only one game in the postseason, and its World Series victory had nothing to do with a song.  Superstition is for north siders.

• Love 1

Just now, Eloy Jiménez said:

The 05 team, which went wire to wire and lost only one game in the postseason, and its World Series victory had nothing to do with a song.  Superstition is for north siders.

Actually baseball is full of superstitions. Don't step on the foul lines, step on the foul line, don't talk to a pitcher during a start especially a no hitter/perfect game, the rally cap, broadcasters avoid saying the word no hitter or perfect game,Larry Walker wore number 33 and was obsessed with the number ., then there are hundreds of other rituals that players go through/. Wade Boggs always ate chicken on game days, Nomar Garciaparra played with his batting gloves like after every pitch as if he was obsessive compulsive. Barry Bonds kissed his cross he wore around his neck after every HR. David Ortiz did the spit on batting gloves and hand clap.

When Roger Clemens played with the Yankees he touched the Babe Ruth statue before every home start.

Jason Giambi would wear a golden thong under his uniform to break a slump. ( I kid you not ! )

Stan Musial ate the same breakfast in the same way. He had an egg, then two pancakes, then finished the meal with another egg.

The list goes on and on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Actually baseball is full of superstitions. Don't step on the foul lines, step on the foul line, don't talk to a pitcher during a start especially a no hitter/perfect game, the rally cap, broadcasters avoid saying the word no hitter or perfect game,Larry Walker wore number 33 and was obsessed with the number ., then there are hundreds of other rituals that players go through/. Wade Boggs always ate chicken on game days, Nomar Garciaparra played with his batting gloves like after every pitch as if he was obsessive compulsive. Barry Bonds kissed his cross he wore around his neck after every HR. David Ortiz did the spit on batting gloves and hand clap.

When Roger Clemens played with the Yankees he touched the Babe Ruth statue before every home start.

Jason Giambi would wear a golden thong under his uniform to break a slump. ( I kid you not ! )

Stan Musial ate the same breakfast in the same way. He had an egg, then two pancakes, then finished the meal with another egg.

The list goes on and on.

It’s still all super silly, coming from someone who has never stepped on a foul line in his life

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

I have read on this board that Abreu is a dime a dozen player. He has no value. Why does he bat third!? He apparently, from what I have read here, refuses to DH. Obviously he is not a team guy from what I read here. .Why in the world would a team give up something of value for 2 months of his services? 

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

If you don't believe in the intangibles of sports and what it means to have an established star, I can't help you. You don't fricking trade Jose Abreu, the heart and soul of the fricking team. If you do, you deserve last place and I mean that. At some point, cold hard stats have to be balanced with common sense. 

Boy I disagree with you, Abreu is a free agent after this year the Yankees did it with Chapman and got Glyber  if you can actually get something good take it and resign him.

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes it is but people become creatures of habit as you well know. Silliness always takes a back seat to something people consider good luck.

I agree.  I think it's  Ridiculous that he has to Defend himself on a message board.  It shouldn't bother anyone and if it does ignore it.