GT: Tigers (27-54) @ White Sox (41-42), July 4

soxfan49

• bmags pinned this topic

If the Sox win these last 3 games before the ASB, they will have a better record than the Cubs.

With the current make-up of the respective 25 player rosters,  that's stunning.

It's also telling me based on the Sox players on the DL and/or yet to be brought up, targeting the Cubs Rebuild is setting the bar way too low. 

The target is the Astros 

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, GradMc said:

If the Sox win these last 3 games before the ASB, they will have a better record than the Cubs.

It's also telling me based on the Sox players on the DL and/or yet to be brought up, targeting the Cubs Rebuild is setting the bar way too low. 

The target is the Astros 

The Cubs will be fine because they have the money to overcome mistakes they make. They could still reach the playoffs this season by winning a weak division. They are far from done. 

Lopez needs to man up and get us to .500 today.  I’ve been one of his biggest advocates on this board, but he’s been a total disaster this season and it’s finally put up or shut-up time if he wants any chance of claiming a rotation spot next year.  The clock is officially ticking.

6 minutes ago, GradMc said:

The target is the Astros 

I don't think it is stunning. The White Sox play a high percentage of their games against awful teams. Det,KC are awful and they are a quarter of their overall schedule.  A win is a win so at least they are good enough to beat these teams. I think Cle. will be that awful in a couple of years. If the Sox truly build a juggernaut they could dominate for a while, but I will not hold my breath.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lopez needs to man up and get us to .500 today.  I’ve been one of his biggest advocates on this board, but he’s been a total disaster this season and it’s finally put up or shut-up time if he wants any chance of claiming a rotation spot next year.  The clock is officially ticking.

Lopez would do well to emulate Giolito.  Don't overthink it.  Catcher puts down the fingers and you throw the ball where he tells you to throw it.

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The Cubs will be fine because they have the money to overcome mistakes they make. They could still reach the playoffs this season by winning a weak division. They are far from done. 

The point is the Cubs should not be remotely in a position for me to state such a claim this late in the season.

The Cubs were supposed to be working on a string of World Series Championships. They're not and barely beat Cleveland for the one post-rebuild championship they do have.

Their payroll is almost 140 mil more than the Sox. We could have added Harpchado and a couple of starters and STILL had a payroll less than the Cubs.

Who's getting the bigger bang for their bucks.

Who's getting more of out of their present roster ?

I'll give you a big hint 

It ain't the Cubs.

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't think it is stunning. The White Sox play a high percentage of their games against awful teams. Det,KC are awful and they are a quarter of their overall schedule.  A win is a win so at least they are good enough to beat these teams. I think Cle. will be that awful in a couple of years. If the Sox truly build a juggernaut they could dominate for a while, but I will not hold my breath.

Sox were 7-7 against the Cubs, Twins, Indians, Yankees, and Red Sox in the month of June. It’s not like they’re only beating bad teams at this point, they’re playing toe to toe with likely playoff teams as well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GradMc said:

The point is the Cubs should not be remotely in a position for me to state such a claim this late in the season.

The Cubs were supposed to be working on a string of World Series Championships. They're not and barely beat Cleveland for the one post-rebuild championship they do have.

Their payroll is almost 140 mil more than the Sox. We could have added Harpchado and a couple of starters and STILL had a payroll less than the Cubs.

I'll give you a big hint 

It ain't the Cubs.

Well, all I heard from Cubs fans after their title in 2016 is that it was the start of a dynasty. The fact that they haven’t been back to the World Series since and just 3 years later are only a couple games better on July 4th than a still rebuilding Sox team has to be very disappointing for Cubs fans (to say the least, especially when they’re running a team payroll more than double the Sox).

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Cubs are 45-42

The Sox are 41-42.

Given supposed chasm of talent and payroll, you don't find that stunning ?

OK.

Ask the Ricketts how they feel about it.  

LOL

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Lopez would do well to emulate Giolito.  Don't overthink it.  Catcher puts down the fingers and you throw the ball where he tells you to throw it.

I've been to a few of Lopez's starts and will be there today. He is boring out there in a bad way. He is slow to deliver, over thinks, and when someone gets on base he holds the ball even longer and slows his delivery. I know it's bad when the Misses asks about it. 

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Well, all I heard from Cubs fans after their title in 2016 is that it was the start of a dynasty. The fact that they haven’t been back to the World Series since and just 3 years later are only a couple games better on July 4th than a still rebuilding Sox team has to be very disappointing for Cubs fans (to say the least, especially when they’re running a team payroll more than double the Sox).

Ah,  someone who gets my point.

Thank you

10 minutes ago, GradMc said:

I'll give you a big hint 

It ain't the Cubs.

The defending champion red Sox only have 1 less loss than us as well. We also play a garbage schedule. 

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

This is baseball, you aren't gonna just roll every year. The Cubs have played in three NLCS's. How many teams win multiple titles in a three of 4 year span? The Dodgers are more loaded than the Cubs and they have zero titles. The Yankees are loaded but how many have they won recently? The Astros are loaded and have one title and flamed out last season. I think many of you are gonna be disappointed if you think we are gonna be winning boatloads of titles. The Cubs are down this season, but they can turn it around and still even retool next season. 

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The defending champion red Sox only have 1 less loss than us as well. We also play a garbage schedule. 

Interesting. So the combined record of teams in the AL East is 18 games under .500 if you remove the Red Sox. The combined record of teams in the AL Central is 24 games under .500 if you remove the White Sox. Is the White Sox schedule really that much easier than the Red Sox?

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

This is baseball, you aren't gonna just roll every year. The Cubs have played in three NLCS's. How many teams win multiple titles in a three of 4 year span? The Dodgers are more loaded than the Cubs and they have zero titles. The Yankees are loaded but how many have they won recently? The Astros are loaded and have one title and flamed out last season. I think many of you are gonna be disappointed if you think we are gonna be winning boatloads of titles. The Cubs are down this season, but they can turn it around and still even retool next season. 

For sure.  Our core is better and it’s balanced.  That will make all the difference

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

You’re speaking to me like I don’t already know this. This should be directed to the north side of town. Cubs fans were assured multiple titles were coming their way after 2016. Most thought they’d go on a Blackhawks type run of 3 championships over a 6 year period. 

Also, if the Sox were running a top 3 payroll in conjunction with the current rebuild/crop of prospects, I would be disappointed with only 1 World Series appearance. Given that Jerry won’t spend that type of money, I’ll be more than happy with one title. Comparing the two franchises is apples/oranges due to fiscal limitations imposed by the respective owners.

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

For sure.  Our core is better and it’s balanced.  That will make all the difference

It’s not quite there yet but in the coming years it’s really not that difficult to see the collective group of Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Moncada, Jimenez, Anderson, Robert, Madrigal, Vaughn outperform the Cubs’ young core group from 2016 of Contreras, Rizzo, Baez, Russell, Bryant, Schwarber, and Hendricks.

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You’re speaking to me like I don’t already know this. This should be directed to the north side of town. Cubs fans were assured multiple titles were coming their way after 2016. Most thought they’d go on a Blackhawks type run of 3 championships over a 6 year period. 

Also, if the Sox were running a top 3 payroll in conjunction with the current rebuild/crop of prospects, I would be disappointed with only 1 World Series appearance. Given that Jerry won’t spend that type of money, I’ll be more than happy with one title. Comparing the two franchises is apples/oranges due to fiscal limitations imposed by the respective owners.

Well you are talking like the Cubs are done or that it is easy to win games. Their run isn't over and them struggling right now isn't the end of the world. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

Well you are talking like the Cubs are done or that it is easy to win games. Their run isn't over and them struggling right now isn't the end of the world. 

They’ve been extremely fortunate with injuries since 2015. Now that the starting rotation is starting to break down, we’ll see if their run is over or not over the next two months.

20 minutes ago, GradMc said:

The Cubs are 45-42

The Sox are 41-42.

Given supposed chasm of talent and payroll, you don't find that stunning ?

OK.

Ask the Ricketts how they feel about it.  

LOL

The Ricketts are printing money. Just wait u until  next year when White Sox fans have to pay more for their cable Bill's whether they have any intention of watching the Cubs or not.

The preseason advanced metrics had the Cubs not so good. And you don't have to be an average team in the AL  Central to have a record around average. 

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

They’ve been extremely fortunate with injuries since 2015. Now that the starting rotation is starting to break down, we’ll see if their run is over or not over the next two months.

The Cubs have enough core players where throwing money around every year will always make them a threat. They have already mentioned increased spending with their new TV deal.