GT: Tigers (27-54) @ White Sox (41-42), July 4

soxfan49

9 minutes ago, poppysox said:

He seems to hit a wall at 5 innings.

Checked his stats and he is particularly bad (>1.000 OPS) against hitters the 3rd time through the order this year, but he's also given up a >.900 OPS the first time through the order. The 2nd time through has been ok with a sub .800 OPS. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Checked his stats and he is particularly bad (>1.000 OPS) against hitters the 3rd time through the order this year, but he's also given up a >.900 OPS the first time through the order. The 2nd time through has been ok with a sub .800 OPS. 

That's hard to work with in any roll.

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

That's hard to work with in any roll.

Yeah, basically it's just "he needs to be better overall", there's no magic bullet like using him as an opener or taking him out after 4 innings.

27 minutes ago, Jake said:

You're just wrong. We were coming off two consecutive off days before yesterday's double header. Our bullpen was rested enough to cover the final 4 innings of this game comfortably. At minimum, Minaya (obviously), Osich, Ruiz, Herrera, and Fry (who didn't pitch yesterday) were available. Fulmer could have been available if we felt we needed him but we optioned him to move Cease onto the active roster. Fry being available and completely rested is especially pertinent since after Cabrera's leadoff double, we let Lopez face 4 straight lefties/switch hitters, surrendering 3 straight doubles followed by a homer in the process.

It appears part of the problem was the temporary malfunctioning of the bullpen phones, which is the most White Sox thing of all time.

You're just wrong

Ah, yes. This is how we know we're getting somewhere in an internet sports discussion. Is this where I drop the proverbial "I know you are, but what am I?" line? 

There's clearly some arms available if they HAD to go. However, the majority did pitch yesterday, we have a grand total of ONE who did not (I believe). COULD they go 15 innings in 2 days? Lol, sure... I guess. But you certainly don't want that. 

If you do not believe that every team has days where they have to ask a pitcher to do more than usual in order to help the bullpen out... Then we really don't have much to talk about here. 

Did you not see what the Twins asked of Berrios due to their bullpen a few days ago? They hung him out to dry worse than Lopez

Honestly, this stuff is elementary and there's no point in even arguing about it. 

The situation today was obvious and basic. But b*tching about a manager non-stop makes baseball fans feel smart... so...

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It seems like if he can manage the 1st inning okay, he keeps a seemingly solid outing together until the 5th. Then, his command just falls off the face of the planet. 

They won the series...with this pitching staff that's not bad.

Lopez though is so inconsistent that if the Sox do get pitching help this off season and with the return of some of the injured guys, his spot in the rotation is going to be in real jeopardy unless he gets his act together. The second half of this season I think is going to be very big for him as I assume the front office is going to be watching closely.

And the bullpen just wasn't sharp today.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah, basically it's just "he needs to be better overall", there's no magic bullet like using him as an opener or taking him out after 4 innings.

teach him a splitter and he could be great out of the pen. if his arm only lasts 4-5 years, it'd be better than being bad for 7-8 years.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They won the series...with this pitching staff that's not bad.

Lopez though is so inconsistent that if the Sox do get pitching help this off season and with the return of some of the injured guys, his spot in the rotation is going to be in real jeopardy unless he gets his act together. The second half of this season I think is going to be very big for him as I assume the front office is going to be watching closely.

And the bullpen just wasn't sharp today.

Lopez looks like a flop, hate to say it. Dropped him from all my fantasy teams a couple starts ago. Haven't studied him enough but he sort of blows.

3 hours ago, Soxfest said:

It’s too the point when Lopez pitches don’t go to the park, man he is awful.

I was thinking the exact same thing Soxfest! Great post. I was thinking, man I'd hate to have tickets the night he is scheduled to start. He's pretty deficient.

One thing I got out of this game, you people that want Eloy to DH are insane IMO. He's going to be average to fine in LF. Maybe his arm blows ... we'll have to live with that. Johnny Damon played with a noodle arm forever. 

There's absolutely no reason to stash Eloy at DH. Also, Lopez appears to be blah at best. Bullpen for him it looks like unless Coop can fix him. Eloy is having a helluva rookie season.

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

One thing I got out of this game, you people that want Eloy to DH are insane IMO. He's going to be average to fine in LF. Maybe his arm blows ... we'll have to live with that. Johnny Damon played with a noodle arm forever. 

There's absolutely no reason to stash Eloy at DH. Also, Lopez appears to be blah at best. Bullpen for him it looks like unless Coop can fix him. Eloy is having a helluva rookie season.

Agreed, Eloy needs to stay in the outfield. If Jose is here next year, they need to force him to DH or grab some bench. We can't have his putrid defense out there anymore. 

13 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Agreed, Eloy needs to stay in the outfield. If Jose is here next year, they need to force him to DH or grab some bench. We can't have his putrid defense out there anymore. 

Ron I will respect you more if you can at least agree with SI's recent assertion. He wrote that Abreu is very good at saving Timmy's bad throws in the dirt. Does Ron at least agree Abreu is VERY GOOD at digging? He has problems moving left and right, I agree. If you would agree at least that he's a good vacuum cleaner on low throws I will respect you some. If you say he sucks at digging throws I know you are unreasonable.

I really don't understand the hate for Lopez. You people give up on these players way too easily. He was the best pitcher on staff last year. He has it in him. Dude is going through a rut. Let him work it out during this next half.

He said to reporters today that we will see a different pitcher out of him during the second half. Lets see what happens

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 1

Just now, ScooterMcGee said:

I really don't understand the hate for Lopez. You people give up on these players way too easily. He was the best pitcher on staff last year. He has it in him. Dude is going through a rut. Let gim work it out during this next half.

He said to reporters today that we will see a different pitcher our of him during the second half. Lets see what happens

Good post Scooter. I haven't completely given up on him. Except I dropped him from all my fantasy teams 2 starts ago as I sense a lot of mediocrity to lousiness in Lopez. I do hope he makes it. I remember a couple games in April or May where he had a zillion K's. But right now I sense a guy who is in desperate need of revision by Coop. I am not burying him but I am tossing the first shovel of dirt his way.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Eloy's left field play is one of this years pleasant surprises.  He certainly is better than advertised IMO.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Good post Scooter. I haven't completely given up on him. Except I dropped him from all my fantasy teams 2 starts ago as I sense a lot of mediocrity to lousiness in Lopez. I do hope he makes it. I remember a couple games in April or May where he had a zillion K's. But right now I sense a guy who is in desperate need of revision by Coop. I am not burying him but I am tossing the first shovel of dirt his way.

I can respect that. I personally think he just needs to pull his head out of his ass.

Who knows. Maybe he needs to join the TJS club!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Eloy's left field play is one of this years pleasant surprises.  He certainly is better than advertised IMO.

I wanted the Sox to move him to DH moreso so he doesn’t get hurt and we lose his bat in the lineup but he truly has improved already as people said he would.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I wanted the Sox to move him to DH moreso so he doesn’t get hurt and we lose his bat in the lineup but he truly has improved already as people said he would.

From all accounts he asks for and gets extra time working with Darryl Boston on his defense.  Eloy wants to play the outfield and play it well.  I love his work ethic.

God forbid we found a plus cf in Cordell who will get some pt. You have to like the power. Leury could end up at 2B down the road. 

Edited by pcq