zisk

Sox might have a log jam at 1B and DH in a couple of years. Gavin Sheets is actually starting to hit for power,

while keeping his plate discipline intact. With Abreu, Vaughn and Zack Collins already in the mix, the Pale Hose

might have a good kind of problem on their hands. I sure hope Eloy improves enough defensively to stay in the

outfield.

And don't forget Burger, who is likely only going to be able to play first, or DH. Then too, there is still Palka, who also only fits at first, or DH. I suspect it will all sort itself out. Eloy is working hard on his defence and has actually looked quite serviceable in LF, lately.

Edited by Lillian

I think Sheets is turning himself into a trade piece and nothing more. He's still more of a throw in guy than a centerpiece in any notable deal anyway. The Sox could try to package Walker and Sheets to get some pitching. Not sure what that nets them, but that's what I'm thinking.

Just now, danman31 said:

I think Sheets is turning himself into a trade piece and nothing more. He's still more of a throw in guy than a centerpiece in any notable deal anyway. The Sox could try to package Walker and Sheets to get some pitching. Not sure what that nets them, but that's what I'm thinking.

I think Sheets is potentially worth more to us than other teams.  His numbers weren’t very good in an offensive friendly High A environment and the lack of power continued into the start of this year.  But he’s really picked it up as of late with a wRC+ of ~160 over his last 30 games (with a fairly normal BABIP).  Given his 1B only profile, limited history of success, and our general lack of left-handed hitting, I’d really like to see how he responds to the juiced ball in AAA before I consider using him as a throw-in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Zangari also stinging the ball lately.  Still, hard to imagine Sheets, Burger, or Zangari beating out Vaughn.

Zangari is in his 5th year of pro ball and at Kanny.