Palka optioned

soxfan49

8 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

Palka had the highest avg exit velocity on the team last year...

Ranked #22 in all of MLB

so not sure about the "can't hit part"\

Listen I'm not even saying the guy is good.. it's just funny how he got so cold this year and it's like the guy didn't hit 27 hrs last year.

Joe Borchard hit the ball hard. He just didn't hit it enough. 

When I say he cant hit I'm pointing moreso to his 219 career average and his 171 k's in 141 games.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Joe Borchard hit the ball hard. He just didn't hit it enough. 

When I say he cant hit I'm pointing moreso to his 219 career average and his 171 k's in 141 games.

yeah maybe.... 778 ops as a rookie isn't that bad.

I don't really think he is worth much... but at DH were pretty Meh... 

Edited by harkness99

35 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Poor Palka ... needs a change of scenery. Time to set him free. Who woulda thought he and Davidson would both be busts?

Considering both were basically one dimension players it seemed to be a good possibility. Neither brought a lot to the table other than the occasional home run, they can't run well and don't field their positions well. I honestly thought bought could be a bench contributor moving forward at one time but their flaws far outweighed the one benefit they brought (occasional home run) 

Edited by Lip Man 1

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Poor Palka ... needs a change of scenery. Time to set him free. Who woulda thought he and Davidson would both be busts?

Anyone who looked past HR in the box score. It's not good being a two-outcome player.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Real said:

how the fuck does a player advance that far through a system and not be able to play adequate defense?

oh yeah, Sox farm system, nvm

This has been going on since the KW era and probably before.  I guess there is this belief that our minor league instruction will make them better at defense.  It seems there will never be a shortage of potential 1B/DH in the farm system.

6 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

This has been going on since the KW era and probably before.  I guess there is this belief that our minor league instruction will make them better at defense.  It seems there will never be a shortage of potential 1B/DH in the farm system.

He has spent what, a total of 6-7 months in the Sox minor leagues?  They are far from perfect but his defensive issues have nothing to do with their instruction.  He was acquired to hit bombs, the end.  

• Like 1

It's a sign of progress that the org is finally able to start filtering out these guys that have maybe 1 tool at best that is MLB quality and replacing them with guys that actually have 2-3 tools and are able to contribute in different aspects to a 25 man roster.  Cordell is a good example.  Not a great player or even an average one, really just a 4th OF, but a legit good RF, a capable CF and a guy that can run into one on occasion if he gets a start.  He can contribute to a winning club if used properly.  Palka types cannot and the Sox have had way too many of those types lately.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

What's the exit velocity on a swing and miss?

Dunno.. he had 27 home runs in 124 games.      I think the white sox are like 25th in the mlb in Home runs.  We could use more.

Listen I get it - Palka can't run or play defense.

And its funny to make fun of him now and make jokes and give each other high fives about how he was a bum.

But I remember him hitting some late inning game winning home runs.

But whatever, He like 70% of these players won't be a part of this team when it really matters anyway.