Fine, I'll say it...

11 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Without fail I have been critical of the move, but at this point  I have to say it.  The Nova acquisition was absolutely worth it.

ahh... not really but I like your spirit

Edited by harkness99

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

Good grief.  You kill joys are no fun and too serious.  

You seemed to be fishing for attention/replies when you posted this thread.  We were only responding in kind.  Don’t be upset now, Charlie Brown.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Worth it in what sense?  I personally find it to be the most troubling move of the offseason.

Eh I don't find it all that troubling. The Sox weren't expected to contend and they had a rash of injuries to pitchers in Kopech and Dunning and Cease wasn't ready. They brought him in to stay healthy and eat innings for all of 1 year. I know pitching badly doesn't eat many innings but he has stayed healthy and given the Rodon injury it became even more important.

Would I have liked a better pitcher ? Sure maybe along with Nova. I was angling for Mike Fiers and/ or at least one of the injury prone guys who were on the market as a fifth starter but certainly not as a 4th starter. Remember I am the guy who has been wanting guys like Moustakas and JD Martinez during the rebuild so I was never against adding more talent during the rebuild because of the potential of flipping higher end talent brings back more talent and given the Sox drafting I wasn't entirely comfortable with not adding talent because of that. But the tanking more and drafting more /higher won out over getting talent and flipping it except in the case of relievers. The Sox went cheap with Banuelos , Covey Santana . It mean its still kind of burns me the Sox weren't getting FA's while the market was really down on a lot of them or didn't try harder for guys like Avi, Schoop, Fiers, Dj Lemahieu Wade Miley, Brantley and a few others. All the focus was on Machado and his friends instead of plugging a few other holes. Imagine if the Sox had signed Brantley instead of trading for the brother in law and Jay.Or if the Sox had Lemahieu at 2nd base with Fiers and Miley instead of Baneulos and Santana.

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

You seemed to be fishing for attention/replies when you posted this thread.  We were only responding in kind.  Don’t be upset now, Charlie Brown.

No, you weren't. This needless underhanded jab proves it. He was just cracking a joke. You're such a miserable ass...

• Thanks 13

He’s filled the 2018 James Shields role just fine. Takes the ball every fifth day and on pace for just under 200 innings and 1 WAR. There’s certainly been worse uses of $9M. If the Sox had a crop of young pitching prospects knocking at the door begging for an MLB opportunity, I’d be more upset with him taking 1 of the 5 spots but they simply don’t right now.

22 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Yes, I am a sucker for Cub killers!  Probably more efficient uses of 9 million but the merits of raising the payroll from nothing to slightly more than nothing in a year we’re not even trying to contend is not worth worrying about too much.

To me it’s not about the money, but more the thought process that this guy could succeed in the AL that is the most troubling aspect of the deal.

9 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Without fail I have been critical of the move, but at this point  I have to say it.  The Nova acquisition was absolutely worth it.

Agree 100%.  Two wins against the Cubs (I know he didn't get the official W in 1st game, but it was Nova) is worth, at least, 5 or 6 wins against everybody else. Absolutely worth it. 

14 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Agree 100%.  Two wins against the Cubs (I know he didn't get the official W in 1st game, but it was Nova) is worth, at least, 5 or 6 wins against everybody else. Absolutely worth it. 

Someone needs to take the ball every day.  Nova is fine until the real rotation is ready sometime next year.  Just like Shields he sometimes looks actually good...other times not so much.  Nova and Shields both pitch at a nerve shattering slow a pace... but that's another story.

Nova was brought here to take the ball every 5th day and be a 5th starter. He's done that. The ERA is probably too high still but a low 5 ERA would be about what I expected. Does he suck? Yes. But is this what we all should've anticipated? Yes.

Just now, soxfan49 said:

Nova was brought here to take the ball every 5th day and be a 5th starter. He's done that. The ERA is probably too high still but a low 5 ERA would be about what I expected. Does he suck? Yes. But is this what we all should've anticipated? Yes.

I realize $9 million isn’t much for a starting pitcher and he was a stopgap solution this year.  I just hope Hahn aims higher next offseason, and I’m not expecting Cole or Bumgarner either.

If the general consensus is that this team was going to win somewhere between 69 and 79 games and not compete for a playoff spot, then I don't honestly understand why either the Santana move or the Nova move is troubling. They're just blank major league players to fill a roster spot while guys are getting ready in the minors and/or rehabbing. I think people also don't keep in mind that the original plan included a healthy Michael Kopech, but that lone injury set us back a year. Add Dane Dunning to that, who was tearing up the minor leagues, and there were just very few guys who were available as proven major league caliber starters on a short term deal that allowed for our eventual rotation to take shape without medium / long term salary being eaten.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

12 hours ago, turnin' two said:

I don't know if he was worth it but Nova will always have a warm spot in my heart for pitching as good as he did against the bad guys.

50 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

He had a couple hiccups early in the year, but his default setting seems to be 6 innings and 4 runs. That's not good, and I'm not going to try to tell you it it, but he's providing what they needed when injuries backed them into a corner, and that's a semi-consistent presence. He's been fine for what he was acquired to do. They gave up a nobody for him, that were we not all super in-tune with the minors because of the rebuild, none of us would have cared one second about. The 9 million is irrelevant.