Mid-Year Top 10 Prospects

It’s been an ugly year for the minor league system filled with injuries and underperformance amongst many of our 2nd tier guys.  Therefore, I thought it would be interesting to see what we all think the top 10 currently looks like.

Here’s my quick & dirty list:

1. Robert, CF
  2. Cease, RHP
  3. Kopech, RHP
  4. Madrigal, 2B
  5. Vaughn, 1B
  6. Dunning, RHP
  7. Walker, OF
  8. Basabe, OF
  9. Collins, C/1B
  10. Sheets, 1B

1. Robert
2. Madrigal
3. Kopech
4. Cease
5. Vaughn
6. Dunning
7. Basabe
8. Walker
9. Rutherford
10. Adolfo

It really drops off after 5/6 (depending on how you feel about TJ recoveries), but with some of the performances in the lower minors the back end of the top 30 is at least more interesting than a bunch of college relievers and possible 5th starter types.

39 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

1. Robert
2. Madrigal
3. Kopech
4. Cease
5. Vaughn
6. Dunning
7. Basabe
8. Walker
9. Rutherford
10. Adolfo

It really drops off after 5/6 (depending on how you feel about TJ recoveries), but with some of the performances in the lower minors the back end of the top 30 is at least more interesting than a bunch of college relievers and possible 5th starter types.

Yeah I don't think mine has changed much, this looks right though I think deep down I still believe in adolfo more than walker or Rutherford, but it's a matter of figuring out how to apply the risk of him.

But I think I'd have Dalquist above sheets still. I'm really happy he has found some success but I just don't know what to make of a 1b prospect that is still just kinda average offensively. He should be a pretty decent trade piece for MR or rotation depth.

37 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah I don't think mine has changed much, this looks right though I think deep down I still believe in adolfo more than walker or Rutherford, but it's a matter of figuring out how to apply the risk of him.

But I think I'd have Dalquist above sheets still. I'm really happy he has found some success but I just don't know what to make of a 1b prospect that is still just kinda average offensively. He should be a pretty decent trade piece for MR or rotation depth.

To be fair sheets wRC+ the past 100 abs is around 185 so he's been much better than average if this is true progress and not just a hot streak

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

To be fair sheets wRC+ the past 100 abs is around 185 so he's been much better than average if this is true progress and not just a hot streak

It is promising, but until I know something changed I'll be pretty skeptical for a while.

1. Robert
2. Kopech
3. Cease
4. Madrigal
5. Vaughn
6. Dunning
7. Basabe
8. Rutherford
9. Sheets
10. Walker

I understand the lack of enthusiasm over Rutherford and Sheets, but I think some of the concerns are a little overblown. For comparison's sake, Walker is a full year older than Rutherford and has been playing a level or two lower all year. (Also, I don't dock guys for lack of HR power as much as other people do.)

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Why do you guys have Dunning so high?

No one in the system has done anything to jump him. I'm definitely more skeptical on him than I was a year ago, but the guys that were 6-15 or whatever that could have bumped him back haven't performed or are hurt too.

1 hour ago, Buehrlesque said:

1. Robert
2. Kopech
3. Cease
4. Madrigal
5. Vaughn
6. Dunning
7. Basabe
8. Rutherford
9. Sheets
10. Walker

I understand the lack of enthusiasm over Rutherford and Sheets, but I think some of the concerns are a little overblown. For comparison's sake, Walker is a full year older than Rutherford and has been playing a level or two lower all year. (Also, I don't dock guys for lack of HR power as much as other people do.)

I agree on Rutherford. Its pretty remarkable he's been able to turn things around at Birmingham and if he develops just a tad more power, he has potential to be the answer in RF. Just needs a bit more time.

1. Robert
2. Kopech
3. Cease
4. Madrigal
5. Vaughn
6. Dunning
7. Basabe
8. Rutherford
9. Sheets
10. Walker

I agree, except I'd have Cease and Kopech swapped. I'm more impressed with Cease's arsenal as opposed to Kopech's.  

1. Robert
2. Kopech
3. Cease
4. Madrigal
5. Vaughn
6. Dunning
7. Basabe
8. Rutherford
9. Sheets
10. Walker

I think it is easy for people to forget this and perhaps be a bit worn out on Rutherford.  Rutherford's OPS was higher in WS last year, than what Walker has put up this year.  WIth that said, they are very close.  Like .005 close.  But Rutherford turned 21 while he was at WS, and Walker will turn 23 this month.  They seem to be similar types of hitters with similar types of production but Rutherford is younger and more advanced.  Hopefully his recent surge is a sign that he has adjusted to the AA crucible.  Hopefully Walker gets there soon and continues to hit.  

• Like 1

Doubts on Walker. His outfield speed is rated below average, and his splits this year are awful.  .922 vs right .343 vs left. OPS    I’ll take him as a platoon 4th outfielder  

I think Basabe will get the regular outfield starts  

We are attempting this for FutureSox right now. I'm currently doing this: 

1. Luis Robert OF

2. Michael Kopech RHP

3. Dylan Cease RHP

4. Nick Madrigal 2B

5. Andrew Vaughn 1B

6. Zack Collins C

7. Dane Dunning RHP

8. Steele Walker OF

9. Luis Alexander Basabe OF

10. Andrew Dalquist RHP

11. Micker Adolfo OF

12. Blake Rutherford OF

13. Luis Gonzalez OF

14. Matthew Thompson RHP

15. Yolbert Sanchez SS 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, danman31 said:

Honestly shocked that so many have Madrigal over Vaughn.

Robert

Kopech

Cease

Vaughn

Madrigal

Dunning

Collins

Basabe

Walker

Thompson/Dalquist

Madrigal has been on fire lately and Vaughn has only played a handful of games. I had Vaughn at #3 (and Madrigal at #5). Once he starts hitting, I think that will become a more popular opinion. It's nothing against Madrigal either, just that Vaughn is going to be an absolute monster. 

33 minutes ago, danman31 said:

Robert

Kopech

Cease

Vaughn

Madrigal

Dunning

Collins

Basabe

Walker

Thompson/Dalquist

Baseball Prospectus has Nick Madrigal as the #12 prospect in all of baseball on their update today. I think that's a bit high but there are certain factions that love him obviously. 

11 minutes ago, danman31 said:

It seems almost impossible to me than Madrigal won't be at least an average everyday player. If he even develops the power to hit 15 HRs he's going to be a perennial All-Star. Vaughn has a way lower floor and probably a lower ceiling as well.

2 hours ago, TomPickle said:

It seems almost impossible to me than Madrigal won't be at least an average everyday player. If he even develops the power to hit 15 HRs he's going to be a perennial All-Star. Vaughn has a way lower floor and probably a lower ceiling as well.

Vaughn has a lower ceiling?! Man, Madrigal has one good month and suddenly this guy is a rock star. Madrigal is the very definition of limited ceiling.

16 minutes ago, danman31 said:

Vaughn has a lower ceiling?! Man, Madrigal has one good month and suddenly this guy is a rock star. Madrigal is the very definition of limited ceiling.

They're both pretty low ceiling guys. They could both be all-star type players, but neither is going to be like a top 15 player in baseball. 

Madrigal's ceiling will always be limited by his power and Vaughn's his position/athleticism. 

Edited by mqr