Mid-Year Top 10 Prospects

14 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Or you can be in the top half and have a loaded major league roster like the Braves, Yankees, Dodgers, Rays, Astros, Twins,  etc.

The Rays are particularly annoying.  They won 68 in 2016 and had the #19 Farm in January 2017.   They'll make the playoffs this year and have a top 10 farm (maybe top 5).  The Sox won't make the playoffs and have a bottom half farm.

In what world do the Sox have a bottom half farm unless your talking about like 14 months from now?

31 minutes ago, bmags said:

Almost all of their current depth that bumped them up was added in 2014-2015 in international or draft. Robert being a top 5 pick is absolutely worth it, but that is where not having signed a super class in intl hurts a bit in depth.

but they could have signed a full load of 300K players, which is what the bulk of what they were signing before the penalty anyway.  But they didn't.

32 minutes ago, mqr said:

In what world do the Sox have a bottom half farm unless your talking about like 14 months from now?

The one in which Robert graduates, which will probably be in September.   And yes, he'll hang on for the winter 2020 rankings, so that means the official drop will likely come in the 2020 mid-season rankings.

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The one in which Robert graduates, which will probably be in September.   And yes, he'll hang on for the winter 2020 rankings, so that means the official drop will likely come in the 2020 mid-season rankings.

I disagree with your Robert timeline, but even still, Madrigal, Vaughn and Kopech technically would float the system were Robert to graduate this year somehow.

25 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

but they could have signed a full load of 300K players, which is what the bulk of what they were signing before the penalty anyway.  But they didn't.

They have signed really small classes, this year too. I mean the yankees committed like 90% of their budget to one guy this year and still signed 10+ guys. Sox signed 5.

But that said, 2017 and then 18 saw a number of guys signed after J2 that have ended up producing so far in low levels - which I honestly have no idea whether it matters because its impossible to get info on how scouts/sox view them - i.e. if their production is a result of big growth or if its just feasting on crap players.

30 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Would anyone with ESPN+ like to post any White Sox in Law's updated rankings?

Robert is 9, Vaughn is 12, Kopech 25, no Madrigal, no Cease.   Very, very high on Kopech, just waiting out the injury.  Believes Robert’s ability to handle inside heat is going to be deciding factor between tantalizing regular and star.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Robert is 9, Vaughn is 12, Kopech 25, no Madrigal, no Cease.   Very, very high on Kopech, just waiting out the injury.  Believes Robert’s ability to handle inside heat is going to be deciding factor between tantalizing regular and star.

The Kopech v Cease is interesting. I see them as very similar guys where one has the real big 1 pitch and the other has a more sound arsenal off the bat, and both struggle to consistently through strikes. 

No way I'd be willing to say Kopech is a considerably better prospect than Cease at this point.

Edited by mqr

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

My bad.  Cease not eligible cuz currently in the bigs.  Law has an unusual criterion there.

BP does the same thing for their midseason list, so he's not ranked there either. They did say on the accompanying podcast that he'd be "in the teens" ahead of Kopech at 23.

5 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

BP does the same thing for their midseason list, so he's not ranked there either. They did say on the accompanying podcast that he'd be "in the teens" ahead of Kopech at 23.

That’s interesting to me cuz clearly Law has Kopech>>>Cease.  BP obviously disagrees.  Cease of last year with more fastball command was at least Kopech’s equal.  Hopefully he gets it straightened out the way Kopech did the second half of last year.

On 7/10/2019 at 11:33 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Dalquist has the highest ceiling of any pitcher in their minor league system.  When he gets his man muscles and his stuff catches up to his pitchability he's going to be a top of the rotation guy.  He has a chance to be a freakin dude.  

Do you consider Kopech and Cease MLB players then? 

1 hour ago, TomPickle said:

I feel like removing players when they hit the bigs (when they are clearly there to stay) is the correct way of doing it. Prospect means they ain't live yet.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I feel like removing players when they hit the bigs (when they are clearly there to stay) is the correct way of doing it. Prospect means they ain't live yet.

I disagree with that. At FutureSox we use the standard thresholds of 130 at-bats and 50 innings pitched. It doesn't make any sense that Kopech is a prospect still but Cease isn't. They both are. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I disagree with that. At FutureSox we use the standard thresholds of 130 at-bats and 50 innings pitched. It doesn't make any sense that Kopech is a prospect still but Cease isn't. They both are. 

Law just says he does it for the midseason list because hes lazy and doesnt feel like calculating roster time for players on the roster.

Kopech isnt active so I guess it's a safe calculation from the preseason list. I agree though overall it is dumb.

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Well I don't get the one or the other I guess Law did but for me neither Kopech or Cease would be in my "top prospects" list.