You're White Sox GM and can see a year and a half into the future....

SonofaRoache

56 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Well our FO better bank on getting quality players in FA or they need to leave. If you get two starters to pair with Gio and Cease, you can kinda take a soft blow of Kopech and Rodon needing more time or starting in the pen if it came to that. This entire rebuild is based around our FO bringing in talent to supplement our roster. Get it done or get out. 

Yes sir. JR is going to have to open the wallet and Hahn and company need to step up their free agent game! 

The only question I see is whether the Sox spend big this offseason or wait for the 2021 class. 

4 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Yes sir. JR is going to have to open the wallet and Hahn and company need to step up their free agent game! 

The only question I see is whether the Sox spend big this offseason or wait for the 2021 class. 

They'll wait if they can IMO. You saw how little they did last offseason. They can always say they are waiting for some of those young pitchers to heal/be ready in order to line the owners' pockets some more.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Well our FO better bank on getting quality players in FA or they need to leave. If you get two starters to pair with Gio and Cease, you can kinda take a soft blow of Kopech and Rodon needing more time or starting in the pen if it came to that. This entire rebuild is based around our FO bringing in talent to supplement our roster. Get it done or get out. 

1) The FO is not going to spend big on free agents this off season. I've read numerous times that Cole will be getting at least 6 years/$140 million .   If anybody gets signed  it will be another type of pitcher like Nova. We have to hope Kopech  and Rodon come back next year and contribute to the team.

2) Unfortunately  the ownership/front office isn't going anywhere. The franchise is making nothing but big money and they're perfectly content with this situation.

Just now, WBWSF said:

1) The FO is not going to spend big on free agents this off season. I've read numerous times that Cole will be getting at least 6 years/$140 million .   If anybody gets signed  it will be another type of pitcher like Nova. We have to hope Kopech  and Rodon come back next year and contribute to the team.

2) Unfortunately  the ownership/front office isn't going anywhere. The franchise is making nothing but big money and they're perfectly content with this situation.

1) Rodon won't be back until 2021 and odds are that'll be with another team.

2) Wrong

32 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

This is incredibly presumptive  

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Of course, that has always been the make-or-break question.  But it’s not a question of whether they should, but when they should.  After all, the initial question of this thread is based on timelines.

Cole at 28 is a pitcher the Sox could offer 4 for 140 and blow people away. The top 5 pitchers in the league average about 30 million per so you offer more than the average. If someone goes crazy like 6 for 180 you top your cap but you have to be willing to overpay in dollars if years aren’t going to be there. They can afford it especially on a shorter deal.

2 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Cole at 28 is a pitcher the Sox could offer 4 for 140 and blow people away. The top 5 pitchers in the league average about 30 million per so you offer more than the average. If someone goes crazy like 6 for 180 you top your cap but you have to be willing to overpay in dollars if years aren’t going to be there. They can afford it especially on a shorter deal.

Cole, Giolito, Kopech, Cease and another add for our 5th starter (or Lopez getting his shit together) would have a lot of people predicting the White Sox to win the AL Central. 

2 hours ago, asindc said:

Of course, that has always been the make-or-break question.  But it’s not a question of whether they should, but when they should.  After all, the initial question of this thread is based on timelines.

They tried to pay Manny 250 million last year, so clearly they think they should spend now. 

8 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Lots of ifs for sure. I think the Sox are looking at next year as the last developmental year of the rebuild. Guys like Kopech, Cease, Collins, Madrigal, and Robert will all be in their first full season of pro ball. 2020 will be the calm before the storm. 2021 is when this team should be ready to fully rock and roll. 

No reason not to win the division in 2020 on our way to the big show in 2021.

OMG!!! Robert has two homers and five RBIs tonight and the announcer on his grand slam thought it was Escobar. Find the replay on Twitter.

This is scary, folks. Robert, Eloy and Moncada in the same lineup. Rick Hahn will work in Chicago til he's 80. If Jerry opens the wallet there's no reason we can't start winning NEXT SEASON w/those 3. No excuses. Do it.

Robert!!!!!!

29 minutes ago, greg775 said:

OMG!!! Robert has two homers and five RBIs tonight and the announcer on his grand slam thought it was Escobar. Find the replay on Twitter.

This is scary, folks. Robert, Eloy and Moncada in the same lineup. Rick Hahn will work in Chicago til he's 80. If Jerry opens the wallet there's no reason we can't start winning NEXT SEASON w/those 3. No excuses. Do it.

Robert!!!!!!

Vaughn killing it so far as well. He will be the White Sox 1st baseman at some point next year imo

• Like 1

If I'm the White Sox GM and can see 18 months into the future. I'm going to become a billionaire off of the stock market. Give Reinsdorf my inside tips as well, with the condition that his billions be spent on the free agents of my choosing. Which I will consult with SoxTalk about on a nightly basis over the winter. :)

Edited by Richie
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm still worried there will be a strong market for SP. Everyone will get involved which means we better pay up. 

Our needs of starting pitching and right fielder are obvious.  I think Rick will fill them adequately.  The front office knows better than us the window opens in 2020 and doesn't stay open forever.  Jerry is 83 and knows this is the last chance for Chicago baseball immortality.  At least...I hope he gives a crap.