Sox claim 1b A.J. Reed off waivers AND send him to majors

smalls2598

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Reed was assigned to Triple-A. I'd bet on Wely coming off the IL after the break and Collins getting a bulk of the DH at bats.

Yea it seems like this guy might get some burn in September when rosters expand otherwise he's just org depth in AAA for now.  According to MLBTradeRumors if he's not on the 25 man next April he goes back on waivers so Sox will have to evaluate him rather quickly.  Not that it's  likely to matter.

23 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Also WTF are they going to do with Collins now?

I have a really bad feeling the reason Collins was brought up was so he can learn as much as possible about the big league game from James McCann before he's traded at the deadline.  I obviously hope I'm wrong but I can't think of another logical reason for why he has been handled the way he has.  

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I have a really bad feeling the reason Collins was brought up was so he can learn as much as possible about the big league game from James McCann before he's traded at the deadline.  I obviously hope I'm wrong but I can't think of another logical reason for why he has been handled the way he has.  

...why would the sox care about him learning from McCann if they are trading him? This is a bit of a non-sequiter 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Some poster here called for this claim and got ripped for it.  Hahn will take a shot on anyone who was a former top prospect and is still youngish and rightfully so.  Nothing to really lose.

I would file this under the ever growing pile of sure why not. I'm hoping that file becomes obsolete in the near future. 

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

I would file this under the ever growing pile of sure why not. I'm hoping that file becomes obsolete in the near future. 

I believe the issue is that this guy has a massive hole in his swing but who cares.  If he sucks, he can go the way of Conor Gillespie’s brother Casey, playing in the independent league.

Maybe he can get hotter than shit at Charlotte and fill in at DH next year as a stop-gap until Vaughn is ready (assuming Abreu is extended).  Very doubtful but worth a shot.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

54 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

He was the #38 prospect in baseball per MLB.com in 2016. For a waiver claim, nothing to complain about. 

He was as high as #11 on Baseball America’s list in 2016.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

16 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I believe the issue is that this guy has a massive hole in his swing but who cares.  If he sucks, he can go the way of Conor Gillespie’s brother Casey, playing in the independent league.

Maybe he can get hotter than shit at Charlotte and fill in at DH next year as a stop-gap until Vaughn is ready (assuming Abreu is extended).  Very doubtful but worth a shot.

Screw that. The Sox should be spending some big $$$ this offseason on impact talent for 2020 and beyond. Guys like Reed, Palka, Castillo, Tilson, Jay, Cordell better not be taking up 40 man roster spots next year. 

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Heh.. this was a guy whose name came up a bunch in trade talks on this board once upon a time for Quintana. 

To be fair, Reed was the favorite wild card third piece along with garrett stubbs. I don't believe either flete or rose are even in the org anymore either.

• bmags pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic