Sox claim 1b A.J. Reed off waivers AND send him to majors

smalls2598

13 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

That was me.

Glad to see the Sox give Reed a shot. Nothing to lose. He probably sucks, but no reason to not give him a shot. 

He may not get a shot at the MLB level. As of right now, Abreu and Collins will be getting the 1B and DH at bats (when Wely is back) and I don't think McCann or Abreu gets dealt.

Sending Reed to Charlotte makes little sense, as he has already proven his ability to hit AAA pitching. Reed is in his final option season, so he’ll need to make next year’s Opening Day roster or else be exposed to waivers once again. Therefore, this is the last chance for the Sox to find out if he has any value, going forward.

Why not give him Alonso's playing time, split between first base and DH, the rest of this season. If he can finally establish his ability to hit at the Major League level, he could be a useful piece next season, in the same role, even if Abreu comes back. That would also allow the Sox to give Vaughn sufficient experience, before rushing him to the Big Leagues. If he can establish his Major League credentials, Reed is young enough to be a valuable trade chip, once Vaughn arrives. Or, he could continue to DH, if Abreu is only signed for another couple of years. 

Regarding Collins: if they want to keep him in Chicago, they really need to dump Castillo. If Castillo is going to remain on the roster, Zack should go back to Charlotte. It probably isn't that risky to let Castillo go, as they could always give Mercedes, or Zavala some playing time, if McCann or Collins were to suffer an injury. I just don't see the future value of Collins, as a first baseman, or DH. Either he develops as a serviceable catcher, or he likely has no future, with the Sox.

Edited by Lillian

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Sending Reed to Charlotte makes little sense, as he has already proven his ability to hit AAA pitching. Reed is in his final option season, so he’ll need to make next year’s Opening Day roster or else be exposed to waivers once again. Therefore, this is the last chance for the Sox to find out if he has any value, going forward.

Why not give him Alonso's playing time, split between first base and DH, the rest of this season. If he can finally establish his ability to hit at the Major League level, he could be a useful piece next season, in the same role, even if Abreu comes back. That would also allow the Sox to give Vaughn sufficient experience, before rushing him to the Big Leagues. If he can establish his Major League credentials, Reed is young enough to be a valuable trade chip, once Vaughn arrives. Or, he could continue to DH, if Abreu is only signed for another couple of years. 

Regarding Collins: if they want to keep him in Chicago, they really need to dump Castillo. If Castillo is going to remain on the roster, Zack should go back to Charlotte. It probably isn't that risky to let Castillo go, as they could always give Mercedes, or Zavala some playing time, if McCann or Collins were to suffer an injury. I just don't see the future value of Collins, as a first baseman, or DH. Either he develops as a serviceable catcher, or he likely has no future, with the Sox.

Cause Collins is gonna probably get Alonso's playing time.

I know Reed bats left handed, but it's ok Lillian, so does Collins.

16 minutes ago, Quin said:

Cause Collins is gonna probably get Alonso's playing time.

I know Reed bats left handed, but it's ok Lillian, so does Collins.

Then what was the point of signing Reed? And please, there is no need to be condescending. I'm not an idiot and am perfectly aware that Collins hits left handed.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Have you seen his Triple-A numbers this year?

We'll see what management does with Reed. If they simply send him to AAA, for the rest of the season, then I'll concede that that was the plan and that I was wrong. Yes, and I have seen his unimpressive AAA numbers, from this year, albeit in limited playing time.

Edited by Lillian

7 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Then what was the point of signing Reed. And please, you don't need to be condescending. I'm not an idiot and am perfectly aware that Collins hits left handed.

Sorry, I thought it was clear that I was joking with you due to history. I should have made it clear and that's my bad.

Reed's claim is pretty much depth at this point. He's Casey Gillaspie 2.0. Sacrificing Collins development (once Castillo is back, it's pretty clear Collins is going to rotate at 1B/DH/C a lot) isn't worth a guy who hasn't hit at the MLB level unless he obliterates the ball at Charlotte.

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Sorry, I thought it was clear that I was joking with you due to history. I should have made it clear and that's my bad.

Reed's claim is pretty much depth at this point. He's Casey Gillaspie 2.0. Sacrificing Collins development (once Castillo is back, it's pretty clear Collins is going to rotate at 1B/DH/C a lot) isn't worth a guy who hasn't hit at the MLB level unless he obliterates the ball at Charlotte.

I'm sorry that I didn't see the humour. I understand. Well, if he was acquired simply for depth, then he won't be there long. Again, he will have to be exposed to the waiver claims, unless he is on next year's Roster, or am I mistaken about his needing to be on the 25 man roster? Does that requirement only pertain to the 40 Man Roster?

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'm sorry that I didn't see the humour. I understand. Well, if he was acquired simply for depth, then he won't be there long. Again, he will have to be exposed to the waiver claims, unless he is on next year's Roster, or am I mistaken about his needing to be on the 25 man roster? Does that requirement only pertain to the 40 Man Roster?

Eh, I came off as being a dick, so it's on me.

He only has to be on the 40 man roster. If he falls off of that, he never had a future here.

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

Eh, I came off as being a dick, so it's on me.

He only has to be on the 40 man roster. If he falls off of that, he never had a future here.

Thank you. I stand corrected. If he is only required to be on the 40 Man Roster, the Sox could do that, if they were concerned about losing him. Nevertheless, until Reed gets some significant MLB at bats, it would seem to be pretty difficult to evaluate him. If he hits well at Charlotte, what would that prove? He's done that at AAA, for a few seasons now, and still no one seems to have any confidence that he has a future in the Big Leagues. Guys like that have to be given a chance to succeed, or fail, at the Major League level, in order to discover who they are. Short of that, they remain proverbial AAAA players, which is the moniker Reed now wears.

49 minutes ago, Lillian said:

We'll see what management does with Reed. If they simply send him to AAA, for the rest of the season, then I'll concede that that was the plan and that I was wrong. Yes, and I have seen his unimpressive AAA numbers, from this year, albeit in limited playing time.

Sending him to AAA doesn't mean he will be there the rest of the season. Maybe they are seeing if they can make a change in a lower pressure environment first and then bring him up to test it out when he has had some time getting used to it.

19 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yeah, wasn’t it Francis Martes, A.J. Reed, and Garrett Stubbs because Alex Bregman was off limits?

Sox fans wanted Martes + Tucker + Reed/Stubbs for Quintana. In retrospect we should be extremely happy we have Eloy/Cease instead. Tucker could still pan out, but Martes/Reed have little value right now. 

2 hours ago, Orlando said:

This claim was made for two reasons in my opinion:

1.  Seeing if they can get value out of a former prospect with pedigree 

2. Insurance in case one of McCann or Abreu get traded.

Not sure how it would be remotely feasible to trade McCann at this point. What other options for catcher do we have moving forward that would be even close to what he has given us so far in 2019? McCann is absolutely staying for 2020 at a minimum at this point. 

I doubt the Sox deal Abreu, especially since they are still somewhat in wild card contention. If they were going to deal him they would have already I feel. 

This move was a simple way to add depth. Reed was a former top prospect who might benefit from a change of scenery. If he does well I wouldn't rule out the Sox giving him some at bats in the majors down the stretch? If he sucks you cut bait, zero risk. 

If the Sox traded McCann, that would be even more infuriating than missing out on the Harper/Machado "sweepstakes". I give Hahn more credit than that. They have lucked into filling the catching void, and to now trade it away, would be just stupid. The question should be whether, or not, to extend him, not for whom could we trade him.

McCann has an over .400 BABIP. Sorry, his numbers are going to go down a bit, especially catching.  I don't know why so many want the team to extend him now when they already have control of him next season. Wait it out. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Thank you. I stand corrected. If he is only required to be on the 40 Man Roster, the Sox could do that, if they were concerned about losing him. Nevertheless, until Reed gets some significant MLB at bats, it would seem to be pretty difficult to evaluate him. If he hits well at Charlotte, what would that prove? He's done that at AAA, for a few seasons now, and still no one seems to have any confidence that he has a future in the Big Leagues. Guys like that have to be given a chance to succeed, or fail, at the Major League level, in order to discover who they are. Short of that, they remain proverbial AAAA players, which is the moniker Reed now wears.

Lillian it's worth mentioning that what Reed has done in AAA is in the PCL league, which has very inflated offense due to geographic factors but also some park factors. It allows the most home runs of all leagues in the minors. So his offensive numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt, especially when you factor in the MLB ball in AAA, which greatly improved offense - yet his declined.

So if he comes in and goes on a Yordan Alvarez run - then we pay attention. But if it's relatively similar to this - an .800 ops, it's probably not going to translate much beyond what we can produce with other players in ML level.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

McCann has an over .400 BABIP. Sorry, his numbers are going to go down a bit, especially catching.  I don't know why so many want the team to extend him now when they already have control of him next season. Wait it out. 

I actually want to extend him:

- One, I don't believe they'd actually be forced to pay a premium for his peak offense of  the moment

- Two, it has been years since sox pitchers and catchers have had a relationship as good as this. Clearly he has been a mentor to a young pitching staff - regardless of results. I think he's a good vet anyway. I do not think he will be expensive, because catchers have been remarkably cheap in free agency despite everyone thinking they'll get paid a lot more.

17 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You argued he was a MLB caliber player which he wasnt unless you think palka was.

Irregardless your tangent was out of character and really bizarre... I never said any of the things you claimed I did regarding Reed.  I merely was pointing out an example of the Astros making a mistake. 

I dont know why reed has struggled. It's weird for sure. Hes gotten worse in a league in which hitting has improved.

I did not say he was an mlb caliber player, I said he was an actual mlb player. He had multiple years in the big leagues to improve and appeared to plateau, which he did not. It was talking about the remarkable outlier that was JD Martinez. 

I also did not say it was the only reason that he wouldn't work out that the astros released him, but it adds to the lower likelihood his lottery will cash in, because they are an org that has been very good at evaluating talent, including maximizing players other orgs had thought had hit their limit. 

19 hours ago, bubba phillips said:

Excerpt from the MLBTradeRumors story:

There’s little reason for the Sox not to give Reed a look, however. given his recent prospect pedigree and the potential long-term opening at first/DH. 

Apparently they think that it's too early to give the 1B job to Vaughn in the near future.

If Reed can get back anywhere close to where he was you can have him and Vaughn at 1B/DH

3 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

I meant Jon singleton

Ah, well...

Despite this fact, I still do not wish to modify my statement. 

Tyler White is a slob in my book... and I'll die on that hill. 

• bmags pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic