Sox claim 1b A.J. Reed off waivers AND send him to majors

smalls2598

Honestly, the Sox should just send Collins back down. They aren't doing him any favors playing him twice a week. Of course he won't be any good because he can't get into any kind of a rhythm. Here's what I'd do.

vs RHP:

C McCann

1B Abreu

DH Reed

vs LHP:

C McCann

1B Abreu

DH Castillo

And then Collins would go back to getting everyday at-bats at AAA.

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Wow, he’s getting called up to MLB. I’d rather see Collins get ABs than him. 

If he's only going to play a couple times a week they might as well just let him play 5-6 times a week in Charlotte imo.    I dunno, it's a puzzling situation this Reed guy is even less of a prospect than Collins.

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Wow, he’s getting called up to MLB. I’d rather see Collins get ABs than him. 

Can't help but feel they're low on Collins now. Besides working on McCann on the catching side it's a detriment for him to not at least DH on days he doesn't catch.

2 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Can't help but feel they're low on Collins now. Besides working on McCann on the catching side it's a detriment for him to not at least DH on days he doesn't catch.

that appears to the be the writing on the wall.  they didn't give half a fuck about starting his arb clock and jerking him around a bit.  hey, if their self scouting has improved to the point where they can see the obvious (Collins is currently a borderline MLB player and might never be much more) and are willing to write off a mistake good on them.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

that appears to the be the writing on the wall.  they didn't give half a fuck about starting his arb clock and jerking him around a bit.  hey, if their self scouting has improved to the point where they can see the obvious (Collins is currently a borderline MLB player and might never be much more) and are willing to write off a mistake good on them.

Well said, still think he should get a better shake but if these last couple weeks have shown anything it's that they aren't sold on him as much anymore IMO

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Unless Castillo is ready to return, Collins is still going to be around. They seem to be swapping out Palka for Reed

Point being, they feel the need to bring in a nobody instead of letting Collins play more than once a week 

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Unless Castillo is ready to return, Collins is still going to be around. They seem to be swapping out Palka for Reed

Castillo is rehabbing in the minors as we speak.  Assuming he is called up very soon, I imagine Collins goes back to AAA.

• Thanks 1

Just now, KrankinSox said:

Castillo is rehabbing in the minors as we speak.  Assuming he is called up very soon, I imagine Collins goes back to AAA.

Good.  Get Castillo up here and flip him for a Tatis Jr type, maybe we can get lucky on a lotto ticket for once.  He's a 1 WAR backup catcher maybe a bit more if you value his splits against lefties should be able to net a C+ type prospect some org's #15-20 type.

• Haha 1

• bmags pinned this topic

Well, that escalated quickly.  Lillian gets her wish.  It does make sense to see what he can do in the second half before you have no time and then need to decide whether you keep him or not.  The Sox have been DH’ing Jay and Rondon afterall.

Certainly changes the dynamic. Though I can't believe yet they are writing Collins off. I mean if they haven't written off Fulmer yet I can't see them doing that to a kid who is barely getting a chance at the big league level.

If they are though, that's another black mark against the drafting / developmental part of the organization since Collins was also a first round pick.

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Certainly changes the dynamic. Though I can't believe yet they are writing Collins off. I mean if they haven't written off Fulmer yet I can't see them doing that to a kid who is barely getting a chance at the big league level.

If they are though, that's another black mark against the drafting / developmental part of the organization since Collins was also a first round pick.

If you go by career WAR per first round pick over the last decade or so the White Sox aren't looking bad. Every team has first rounders who never amount to anything.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Yeah I would assume Collins will be going down to get regular ABs with Castillo coming back up and AJ Reed basically takes the Alonso spot.

Collins has looked like a fish out of water against MLB pitching so far. Getting him regular at bats in AAA the rest of the year isn't going to prepare him for playing in MLB in 2020. 

The Sox should just try to package Collins in a trade this offseason. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

If you go by career WAR per first round pick over the last decade or so the White Sox aren't looking bad. Every team has first rounders who never amount to anything.

That is likely because Sale skews the numbers to make the Sox look better.

Just now, OneDog847 said:

Collins has looked like a fish out of water against MLB pitching so far. Getting him regular at bats in AAA the rest of the year isn't going to prepare him for playing in MLB in 2020. 

The Sox should just try to package Collins in a trade this offseason. 

Agreed. And for petes sake sign Grandal. With Grandal amd McCann they wouldn't have to worry about catcher for 3-4 seasons.