Sox claim 1b A.J. Reed off waivers AND send him to majors

smalls2598

2 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

What is the point of signing Grandal to a big contract only to split time with McCann?

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Yeah seems like a redundant use of resources to me. 

Do you trust McCann to do this again with the bat? I don't. McCann is having a career year but I think he's a backup long-term. 

Grandal and McCann would make a great tandem. 

So to recap:

Palka sent down for Reed.

Collins will be sent down for the rehabbing Beef so he can receieve consistent at bats and catch.

It's good that Collins was at least able to get a taste of the majors and kind of learn a bit and work with McCann. Catcher is a different animal compared to other spots on the field. A little bit more onboarding than most positions. Just wish he could have receive at bats as the DH while "onboarding."

Edited by soxfan2014

6 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

What? Lol.  I don't get this at all.  I'd much rather these go to Yermin to see what he can do in the big leagues.

4 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

#JusticeforYermin

Yermin has better numbers this year but without the prospect pedigree.  Ultimately, is there much of a difference who gets a shot first?  If Reed sucks, Yermin may get his shot next.

[Lillian] Also, Yermin isn’t a lefty bat! [/Lillian]

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Collins being up was not working since...ricky didn't bother and I am on team #freeyermin, but if you are going to claim this dude I support actually seeing if he can maintain performance in majors because it will be hard to care about AAA production.

The question will be if he performs very well through the end of the year, to what extent would the sox hold a spot for that production?

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Agreed. And for petes sake sign Grandal. With Grandal amd McCann they wouldn't have to worry about catcher for 3-4 seasons. 

The Sox need to spend $ this offseason on pitching, pitching, and more pitching. McCann will be the starting catcher in 2020. The back up catcher for 2020 is tbd. 

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

So to recap:

Palka sent down for Reed.

Collins will be sent down for the rehabbing Beef so he can receieve consistent at bats and catch.

It's good that Collins was at least able to get a taste of the majors and kind of learn a bit and work with McCann. Catcher is a different animal compared to other spots on the field. A little bit more onboarding than most positions. Just wish he could have receive at bats as the DH while "onboarding."

Collins was drafted over 3 years ago as one of the most advanced college bats in the draft. If his bat ain't ready for the show now then it likely won't ever be. 

I don't like the idea of leaving Collins in AAA the rest of this year. The Sox are hopefully going to be competitive in 2020. Zach Collins learning on the job next year is not going to help the team win baseball games. 

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

Collins being up was not working since...ricky didn't bother and I am on team #freeyermin, but if you are going to claim this dude I support actually seeing if he can maintain performance in majors because it will be hard to care about AAA production.

The question will be if he performs very well through the end of the year, to what extent would the sox hold a spot for that production?

If you assume that Abreu will be extended and Reed shows some production, he will at least have a job at DH next season until Vaughn is ready.

At this point, I don’t see a scenario where Abreu isn’t back next year so I guess the key for Reed is tearing it up quickly and how long will Abreu be extended for.

The perfect storm would be Reed tearing it up in the second half, signing Abreu for one more year, and Vaughn being ready after the 2020 season.  But I doubt we are that lucky or that Abreu would settle for a one year deal.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

19 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

That is likely because Sale skews the numbers to make the Sox look better.

well we skewed that into Moncada and Kopech, two guys who should combine for  about 40 WAR on the South Side in the next 5 years.   The 1st round picks haven't been a huge problem it's been finding and developing position players (high school guys really) later in the draft and finding the 15-16 year old Latin kids before they blow up and then developing them.  Looking at BPs list last night I was blown away by how the Rays and Astros and Yankees are able to unearth these Latin kids before they get pricey.

6 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

The Sox need to spend $ this offseason on pitching, pitching, and more pitching. McCann will be the starting catcher in 2020. The back up catcher for 2020 is tbd. 

Collins was drafted over 3 years ago as one of the most advanced college bats in the draft. If his bat ain't ready for the show now then it likely won't ever be. 

I don't like the idea of leaving Collins in AAA the rest of this year. The Sox are hopefully going to be competitive in 2020. Zach Collins learning on the job next year is not going to help the team win baseball games. 

I completely agree. He should be getting regular at bats in the majors.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

"cock shot" seems to have fallen out of favor since when I was playing but if you miss your share of "cock shots" at any level you aren't much of a hitter.

I played high school ball about 10 years ago and “Cockshot” was the most popular term for a pitch right down the middle haha

16 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

If you assume that Abreu will be extended and Reed shows some production, he will at least have a job at DH next season until Vaughn is ready.

At this point, I don’t see a scenario where Abreu isn’t back next year so I guess the key for Reed is tearing it up quickly and how long will Abreu be extended for.

The perfect storm would be Reed tearing it up in the second half, signing Abreu for one more year, and Vaughn being ready after the 2020 season.  But I doubt we are that lucky or that Abreu would settle for a one year deal.

I love Abreu, but I do not think it would be wise to extend him beyond two more seasons. He does not walk much, and if the average dips much below .260 he becomes a near replacement level player. Hahn should hopefully be too smart to pay retail for an aging slugger. Abreu has value to this club, but I cannot get on board for anything beyond a two year offer, perhaps with a club option? 

31 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yermin has better numbers this year but without the prospect pedigree.  Ultimately, is there much of a difference who gets a shot first?  If Reed sucks, Yermin may get his shot next.

[Lillian] Also, Yermin isn’t a lefty bat! [/Lillian]

I am aware of that. My mentioning Mercedes was only as an emergency replacement for either Collins, or McCann, in the event that one of them were injured, after having released Castillo, should the Sox elect to do that. I also suggested Zavala, in that same context, realising that he also hits right handed. Under a scenario, in which Castillo were moved and Collins, or McCann were injured, someone would have to assume the back up catcher role, regardless of the side of the plate, from which they hit. I wasn't suggesting the Mercedes be given the DH role. 

Edited by Lillian

11 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I am aware of that. My mentioning Mercedes was only as an emergency replacement for either Collins, or McCann, in the event that one of them were injured, after having released Castillo, should the Sox elect to do that. I also suggested Zavala, in that same context, realising that he also hits right handed. Under a scenario, in which Castillo were moved and Collins, or McCann were injured, someone would have to assume the back up catcher role, regardless of the side of the plate, from which they hit. I wasn't suggesting the Mercedes be given the DH role. 

I was just joking around.  I don’t really have a preference between Reed and Yermin and who gets the first crack at DH.  They are a similar age at 26 but Reed has a couple more things going for him than Yermin.  He’s a lefty bat and the Sox have apparently liked him for awhile.  Reed said the Sox have tried trading for him in the past but the Astros wanted too much in return.  However, Yermin has the better most recent AAA stats.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

I'd be interested to hear more about Reed's weight, and what all of your thoughts are, on the subject. This young man seems to be in quite awful shape. That's quite a belly he's carrying there, and I understand that he has not expressed any interest in trying to change that.

Edited by Lillian

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I was just joking around.  I don’t really have a preference between Reed and Yermin and who gets the first crack at DH.  They are a similar age at 26 but Reed has a couple more things going for him than Yermin.  He’s a lefty bat and the Sox have apparently liked him for awhile.  Reed said the Sox have tried trading for him in the past but the Astros wanted too much in return.  However, Yermin has the better most recent AAA stats.

I suspected that your comment was made in jest, but as much grief as I get around here, for wanting a better balance in the line up, I never know when someone is serious, when it comes to that subject. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'd be interested to hear more about Reed's weight, and what all of your thoughts are, on the subject. This young man seems to be in quite awful shape, and I understand that he has not expressed any interest in trying to change that.

He is listed as 6’4”, 275.  He’s a big boy.

Frank was listed as 6’5”, 275 in his later years. lol 

I guess if Reed hits, no one will care.

I did see this article that says Reed showed up to Spring Training down 25 pounds:

https://www.mlb.com/news/aj-reed-ready-to-help-astros-in-2018-c266781456

Edited by Moan4Yoan