Sox claim 1b A.J. Reed off waivers AND send him to majors

smalls2598

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

eh, if he sucks after 50 PAs here do we think people will be patient? (I will not ).

Hahaha touche. But I also know how you feel about the Astros org (rightfully so) so your patience of a guy they gave up on will be very thin.

Edited by SoxAce

18 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

150 career PAs in the bigs.. not like he was really given a shot.

I did notice that.  But I doubt Steverson is the guy to make something out of Reed in half a season.  It’s all up to Reed at this point.

6 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

This is puzzling to me... but what do I know... I'm just some meatball fan. I have to trust that there are paid professionals making these decisions.

I mean, Palka has a proven track record from 2018.... Collins has the pedigree... #shrug

Hitting a bunch of solo homers, striking out a lot, and playing horrible defense for 417 at bats isn’t really a proven track record.  And then he followed it up for 1 for 45 this year.  He is the perfect DH for a low (cheap) payroll team like the Rays.  Maybe they will sign him once he is out of the Sox organization.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

6 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

This is puzzling to me... but what do I know... I'm just some meatball fan. I have to trust that there are paid professionals making these decisions.

I mean, Palka has a proven track record from 2018.... Collins has the pedigree... #shrug

Yes, palka has a proven track record of being bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

If you go by career WAR per first round pick over the last decade or so the White Sox aren't looking bad. Every team has first rounders who never amount to anything.

Just for discussions sake though recently things have not been looking good from that standpoint...consider: Fulmer, Burdi, Burger, Collins. All recent high picks, in some cases very high, who so far have basically produced next to nothing for the Sox.

Personally I've written off Fulmer and Burdi. Burger is close to that as well because the guy (like Burdi) is one injury after another. Not ready to go there yet for Collins who has produced some at the minor league level and really hasn't had a real chance yet with the Sox.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

So I guess if we have our optimism hats on:

Reed

April .163 / .250 / .209 (40% k rate)

May .233 / ..325 / .507 (26% k rate)

June .260 / .385 /.603 (26% k rate)

I will take June again for July-September

18 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Just for discussions sake though recently things have not been looking good from that standpoint...consider: Fulmer, Burdi, Burger, Collins. All recent high picks, in some cases very high, who so far have basically produced next to nothing for the Sox.

Personally I've written off Fulmer and Burdi. Burger is close to that as well because the guy (like Burdi) is one injury after another. Not ready to go there yet for Collins who has produced some at the minor league level and really hasn't had a real chance yet with the Sox.

I'm not sure what to make of Burdi, because they were clearly taking a risk with that pick.

But every team has two or three year spaces of nothing. Hell, the Astros whiffed completely on two straight number one picks, and the one they hit on was the underslot play. Everyone talks about how great Theo did drafting, but all he did was draft a no brainer and a bunch of below average outfielders.  The Yanks have produced one decent 1st rounder since 2006 (Granted the 1 is Aaron Judged and he is more than decent)

TA was an absolute win, Rodon has had unfortunate injury luck but was/is a solid major leaguer when healthy, Madrigal looks like he'll be a major leaguer. Chris Sale is a gd hall of famer. The Sox have problems, but first round picks isn't one, or at least not a huge one. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'm not sure what to make of Burdi, because they were clearly taking a risk with that pick.

But every team has two or three year spaces of nothing. Hell, the Astros whiffed completely on two straight number one picks, and the one they hit on was the underslot play. Everyone talks about how great Theo did drafting, but all he did was draft a no brainer and a bunch of below average outfielders.  The Yanks have produced one decent 1st rounder since 2006 (Granted the 1 is Aaron Judged and he is more than decent)

TA was an absolute win, Rodon has had unfortunate injury luck but was/is a solid major leaguer when healthy, Madrigal looks like he'll be a major leaguer. Chris Sale is a gd hall of famer. The Sox have problems, but first round picks isn't one, or at least not a huge one. 

Theo was the best drafter alive by a mile BEFORE the CBA changed and took away his entire advantage. Now he's just another guy. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

The fact that there exists a group of White Sox fans who truly feel that Palka "proved" anything at the MLB level last season, REALLY proves what a disarray this team has been in at the big league level. The standards REALLY have dropped low.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Maybe, maybe not but he was certainly top 3. Under the new rules (including changes to international signings), he’s just a guy.

but the advantage was more than just Theo and his brain.  The advantage included the Red Sox having nearly limitless funds to spend on draft picks whose talent was well known by all but that other teams had to pass on for budgetary reasons.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Richie said:

The fact that there exists a group of White Sox fans who truly feel that Palka "proved" anything at the MLB level last season, REALLY proves what a disarray this team has been in at the big league level. The standards REALLY have dropped low.

When I say proven track record, I wasn't implying a high level of success. Simply, they know who he is...

2 hours ago, Superstar Lamar said:

but the advantage was more than just Theo and his brain.  The advantage included the Red Sox having nearly limitless funds to spend on draft picks whose talent was well known by all but that other teams had to pass on for budgetary reasons.

This advantage was even more apparent in the international market 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-xpm-2013-08-14-ct-spt-0814-bits-cubs-reds-chicago-20130814-story,amp.html

10 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Sox fans wanted Martes + Tucker + Reed/Stubbs for Quintana. In retrospect we should be extremely happy we have Eloy/Cease instead. Tucker could still pan out, but Martes/Reed have little value right now. 

Some of the best trades are the ones you don't make.  I think that was a Hawkism.