Sox claim 1b A.J. Reed off waivers AND send him to majors

smalls2598

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I can't help but wonder if Hahn is going to trade Abreu and Reed will be the first baseman. I hope this doesn't happen. I want Abreu here for the next few years.

Only a GM would have your insights. 

• Haha 1

This team can afford to give Collins plenty of time to show he can be an MLB player this year.  That's why he's here... and not in AAA.  Hopefully he gets some consistent at bats to build on something.  I'm surprised some of the fans made it this far through the rebuild if they're throwing Collins away that fast...some people.

22 minutes ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

This team can afford to give Collins plenty of time to show he can be an MLB player this year.  That's why he's here... and not in AAA.  Hopefully he gets some consistent at bats to build on something.  I'm surprised some of the fans made it this far through the rebuild if they're throwing Collins away that fast...some people.

It doesn't matter if Collins plays or serves the post-game buffet. He can earn hi pt and others will too. We better not let McCann get away. 

3 hours ago, bubba phillips said:

I'm not saying Reed will amount to anything, but I wouldn't dismiss him solely for the reason that he's fat.

Look at Pablo Sandival of the Giants. Always been fat.  He's 5'11 and 268 lbs.  At age 32, he's batting .288 with 11 HR's and 33 RBI's thus far and plays an acceptable 3B.  Not spectacular numbers, but OK. 

That post was in reference to Collins and not Reed. I wasn't calling him fat. I was saying he looks very overmatched. 

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Collins looks completely overmatched. In his ABs he has as many hits as Palka while looking substantially worse in the process. 

He has 1 hit and 5 BB in 27 PA, with 12 K. So far he is striking out in 44% of his PA

Palka had a 34 K% for comparison, in 52 PA. 

They are both, at best, equally bad with an argument for Collins to be worse. Collins looks worse at the plate than Palka. 

Let's not forget that when Moncada made his debut he struck out 12 times in his first 20 Abs which is 60%. He was promptly sent back to the minors

55 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Let's not forget that when Moncada made his debut he struck out 12 times in his first 20 Abs which is 60%. He was promptly sent back to the minors

Bad comparison. Moncada was a raw 21 year old kid when he was first brought up. Zach Collins is 24 years old with almost 1400 minor league plate appearances. 

6 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I can't help but wonder if Hahn is going to trade Abreu and Reed will be the first baseman. I hope this doesn't happen. I want Abreu here for the next few years.

It wouldn't surprise me if that's what he wants to do, hoping Reed can at least handle the position for a few months.
I don't see much evidence that they want to re-sign him.  Rather not let him walk for zilch.

6 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Don't think that would qualify as an upgrade.

6 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

He's had like 20 something at bats.  I don't think that's a fair assesment.

His minor league profile says he sucks. The only time he's ever made enough contact to hit over .245 in the minors was this year in Charlotte with the golf balls. If he can't make contact in the low minors, how in the ever loving hell could he be expected to do so in the majors? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

His minor league profile says he sucks. The only time he's ever made enough contact to hit over .245 in the minors was this year in Charlotte with the golf balls. If he can't make contact in the low minors, how in the ever loving hell could he be expected to do so in the majors? 

I tend to agree he won't be good in the majors, I have never liked him as soon as I saw the hitch in his swing but I am not ready to say he sucks and will always suck in the majors without him getting a fair shot.

7 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I tend to agree he won't be good in the majors, I have never liked him as soon as I saw the hitch in his swing but I am not ready to say he sucks and will always suck in the majors without him getting a fair shot.

I don't even think he ever should have made it out of A+ by this point. They promoted him after hitting .234 in W/S. That is non-prospect performance. I've never thought he was a prospect since he did that. And when he struggled to hit .240 for consecutive seasons, it just confirmed my opinion. He should still be in AA at best, learning how to make fucking contact. He walks a ton and strikes out a ton, and hits HR. IF they're not afraid of the HR because he can't hit MLB stuff, then the walks will go away.  His BEST CASE SCENARIO in the bigs is 2012 Adam Dunn with 30 HR instead of 40. A .220 hitter that walks a metric shit ton and hits a metric shit ton of HR. That guy still doesn't belong in an MLB lineup and I don't even think he's that good. 

Collins talent level is nowhere near Moncada's so don't make that comparison. Zack Collins belongs nowhere near a Major League Ballpark. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't even think he ever should have made it out of A+ by this point. They promoted him after hitting .234 in W/S. That is non-prospect performance. I've never thought he was a prospect since he did that. And when he struggled to hit .240 for consecutive seasons, it just confirmed my opinion. He should still be in AA at best, learning how to make fucking contact. He walks a ton and strikes out a ton, and hits HR. IF they're not afraid of the HR because he can't hit MLB stuff, then the walks will go away.  His BEST CASE SCENARIO in the bigs is 2012 Adam Dunn with 30 HR instead of 40. A .220 hitter that walks a metric shit ton and hits a metric shit ton of HR. That guy still doesn't belong in an MLB lineup and I don't even think he's that good. 

Collins talent level is nowhere near Moncada's so don't make that comparison. Zack Collins belongs nowhere near a Major League Ballpark. 

Does Joey Gallo suck?

I'm not saying Collins is Gallo, but you're only using one stat to evaluate a player, and it's one of the worst ones you could possibly use, and I know you know that which is why I'm confused by your stance. 

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Every level his OPS is in the high 800. He has done it at every level. I don't see how that is not acceptable as a catcher. He is not a butcher behind the plate. I believe with adjustments he will be able to continue this in the bigs. I think he has earned plate appearances for us. I don't really care about batting average. OPS is more important than average. Give him consistent ABs. Clearly we have seen from other prospects who didn't show us who they really are, it takes time.

correction... his OPS at AA was lower than that.

Edited by yesterday333