Sox claim 1b A.J. Reed off waivers AND send him to majors

smalls2598

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Does Joey Gallo suck?

I'm not saying Collins is Gallo, but you're only using one stat to evaluate a player, and it's one of the worst ones you could possibly use, and I know you know that which is why I'm confused by your stance. 

Joey Gallo is hitting .280 this year. 

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Ok, then did he suck from 2017-2018 when he hit .208/.322/.516 (.838 OPS)?

Do you think Collins is going to hit 40 bombs? I don't. When you're hitting that poorly you pretty much have to be a 40 HR guy with lots of doubles. Every time you make contact it basically has to be a HR or double. 

I question whether Collins can break Mendoza. Ever. 

He might be Rob Deer. Might. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

The highest Gallo ever hit in the minors was .272 and that was his first year. He hit .240 before they brought him up

Gallo also has stupid power. Collins has above average power, but not stupid power. Not. The. Same. 

I severely question Collins ability to make enough contact to do anything at the MLB level. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Do you think Collins is going to hit 40 bombs? I don't. When you're hitting that poorly you pretty much have to be a 40 HR guy with lots of doubles. Every time you make contact it basically has to be a HR or double. 

I'll take the over on that, especially with the lack of timeline to it.

If he does I get to approve all of your posts from now on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, and I already said in my first post that I'm not saying Collins = Gallo.

Collins will never have a high BA, I'm just not sure why that matters if he takes walks and hits home runs. 20 at bats isn't even close to a fair assessment of whether he can do that. I also would be willing to bet that he does not end his MLB career with a .000 BABIP.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Gallo also has stupid power. Collins has above average power, but not stupid power. Not. The. Same. 

I severely question Collins ability to make enough contact to do anything at the MLB level. 

It is the fact you are only citing BA and not his other stats

11 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

No, and I already said in my first post that I'm not saying Collins = Gallo.

Collins will never have a high BA, I'm just not sure why that matters if he takes walks and hits home runs. 20 at bats isn't even close to a fair assessment of whether he can do that. I also would be willing to bet that he does not end his MLB career with a .000 BABIP.

I don't think so either, and I understand that Collins isn't going to hit .250. 

I also understand that you can be a productive player without hitting .250, if the power and walks are there. 

If He could hit .235 with 35 HR, OPS over .825 and stick at catcher, that is fine. 

Again, I see him hovering around Mendoza at best, and spending a metric shit ton of time in the .180s and .190s, if not worse. 

I see him struggling to get his OPS over .750, and maybe even .700

Question: What do you think of Adam Dunn's 2012 and 2013? Seriously. Was he an MLB player?

Dunn in 2012: 

.204/.333/.800 with 41 HR

Dunn in 2013: 

.219/.320/.762 with 34 HR

The above is, IMO the best case scenario for Collins. He's likely to be worse. Much worse. 

The bottom line is with his approach I don't see him maintaining the walk rate, he's going to watch too many strike 3s. When he hits it, he'll hit it hard, but how often that happens is questionable. 

I just think he sucks. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think so either, and I understand that Collins isn't going to hit .250. 

I also understand that you can be a productive player without hitting .250, if the power and walks are there. 

If He could hit .235 with 35 HR, OPS over .825 and stick at catcher, that is fine. 

Again, I see him hovering around Mendoza at best, and spending a metric shit ton of time in the .180s and .190s, if not worse. 

I see him struggling to get his OPS over .750, and maybe even .700

Question: What do you think of Adam Dunn's 2012 and 2013? Seriously. Was he an MLB player?

Dunn in 2012: 

.204/.333/.800 with 41 HR

Dunn in 2013: 

.219/.320/.762 with 34 HR

The above is, IMO the best case scenario for Collins. He's likely to be worse. Much worse. 

The bottom line is with his approach I don't see him maintaining the walk rate, he's going to watch too many strike 3s. When he hits it, he'll hit it hard, but how often that happens is questionable. 

I just think he sucks. 

In a vacuum, contract/expectations aside, Dunn was absolutely an MLB quality player in both of those years and was a pretty good one in 2012. I don't think a .762-.800 OPS is necessarily Collins' best case scenario, but let's say that he hits .220/.330/.420 or something like that. If he can stick behind the plate, and so far there has been no indication that he cannot, then that's still a pretty valuable player.  

22 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

In a vacuum, contract/expectations aside, Dunn was absolutely an MLB quality player in both of those years and was a pretty good one in 2012. I don't think a .762-.800 OPS is necessarily Collins' best case scenario, but let's say that he hits .220/.330/.420 or something like that. If he can stick behind the plate, and so far there has been no indication that he cannot, then that's still a pretty valuable player.  

If there is anything that gives me hope it is that he has looked exponentially better behind the plate than I expected. I was expecting him to be a joke at Catcher. He's around average defensively. When I saw him back there I thought "Wow, this guy isn't a joke as a C" 

I might have to adjust this and give him some time because when I formed this opinion it was with the expectation that he wasn't going to be anything but a 1B. He has a small chance now that I know he's ok as a C. Still, color me extremely skeptical. 

However, his swing is looong and sloow, and that is what concerns me the most. He has a chance now that I know he's ok at C, but it is a small one. If he was a 1B only, he'd belong nowhere near an MLB ballpark. I'm willing to temporarily suspend my disbelief. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

So it looks like Reed is taking Palka's place on the 25 man. Beef Wellington should be done with his rehab stint soon. Is the plan to send Collins back down to Charlotte when Castillo is ready to return? 

Couple of guys coming up soon, Beef and Covey.  Gonna be a roster shuffle out of the gate

16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Couple of guys coming up soon, Beef and Covey.  Gonna be a roster shuffle out of the gate

Collins and Detwiler would be the most obvious choices, but I honestly have no idea what the plan is with Collins and Detwiler probably earned himself another start or three. I for one would like to see if they stumbled into a Rich Hill situation. 

Edited by mqr

16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

This has to be Covey's last chance with the Sox, right? 

The Sox need to be shopping Castillo aggressively. The guy has no future with the White Sox. Letting him play over Collins during a tank year makes no sense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

The Sox need to be shopping Castillo aggressively. The guy has no future with the White Sox. Letting him play over Collins during a tank year makes no sense. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s yonder’d Soon

34 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I don't think Covey is going to be DFAed barring a complete meltdown.   They will let him get the rest of the season and see if he can put something together 

barring injury of course

54 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I thought Covey was pretty decent before he got hurt. I think he is a perfect 4 or 5 inning pitcher

1 hour ago, mqr said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s yonder’d Soon

He should be. I guess the Sox can hope for an injury to happen to another teams catcher over the next two weeks and then try to flip Castillo. 

The Sox should be using a rotation of McCann/Collins/Mercedes at catcher/DH/1B which is why I don't understand the Reed signing. Do the Sox not have confidence in their own guys?

54 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don't think Covey is going to be DFAed barring a complete meltdown.   They will let him get the rest of the season and see if he can put something together 

barring injury of course

That's what I meant with Covey's last chance. Give him the rest of this season and DFA in the offseason if he continues to be a bum. 

15 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Bad comparison. Moncada was a raw 21 year old kid when he was first brought up. Zach Collins is 24 years old with almost 1400 minor league plate appearances. 

Agree Yoan was young.  But he had 1200+ ABS in the minors   My point was you cannot make assumptions on 20 or 29 MLB ABS.

6 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

That's what I meant with Covey's last chance. Give him the rest of this season and DFA in the offseason if he continues to be a bum. 

For sure, he will be gone next season if he continues to be mediocre at best.

5 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Agree Yoan was young.  But he had 1200+ ABS in the minors   My point was you cannot make assumptions on 20 or 29 MLB ABS.

Moncada is actually younger than Collins by like 100 days. I agree that 29 mlb plate appearances is not enough to judge Collins on. However, what else does he need to learn in AAA? I don't think the Sox have room on the 25 for McCann, Castillo, Collins, and Reed. 

30 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Moncada is actually younger than Collins by like 100 days. I agree that 29 mlb plate appearances is not enough to judge Collins on. However, what else does he need to learn in AAA? I don't think the Sox have room on the 25 for McCann, Castillo, Collins, and Reed. 

How to make contact and cut down on the strikeouts.