Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
smalls2598

Sox claim 1b A.J. Reed off waivers AND send him to majors

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, Mercedes has shown more ability with the bat in the Minors than Collins ever has. 

His career line in the minors is: .302/.365/.847

Collins: .234/.378/.812

I'm a firm believer that OBP is OBP. It doesn't matter whether or not it comes by walks or hits, it just matters that you don't make outs. That being said, I weigh BA, OBP and SLG because you can get more than one base by getting XBH. 

2 things: 

A walk only scores a run when the bases are loaded, otherwise you have to get a hit

You can get more than one base with a hit. Out of all of the ways to get on base, a walk or HBP is the least valuable. Even a K on a WP and reaching is more valuable because other baserunners can advance and score on that play. 

It is a weird point of view, but it is mine. I put more weight on a hit vs a walk or HBP. 

You and oldsox both said that Collins is only getting a shot over Mercedes because he was a 1st rounder. That's not true. It's because he's a significantly better pro prospect. Collins can play multiple positions (not at a great level), hits left handed, and is younger. Yermin Mercedes has no position. I can't believe this is even a thing. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, Mercedes has shown more ability with the bat in the Minors than Collins ever has. 

His career line in the minors is: .302/.365/.847

Collins: .234/.378/.812

I'm a firm believer that OBP is OBP. It doesn't matter whether or not it comes by walks or hits, it just matters that you don't make outs. That being said, I weigh BA, OBP and SLG because you can get more than one base by getting XBH. 

2 things: 

A walk only scores a run when the bases are loaded, otherwise you have to get a hit

You can get more than one base with a hit. Out of all of the ways to get on base, a walk or HBP is the least valuable. Even a K on a WP and reaching is more valuable because other baserunners can advance and score on that play. 

It is a weird point of view, but it is mine. I put more weight on a hit vs a walk or HBP. 

Are you really using career slash to compare a guy who is two years older and has played at a level behind Collins each year?  Also, well over half of Zack’s plate appearances have been in AA or above, whereas less than 30% of Mercedes’ have been above A+.  That’s a really bad way to assess these guys.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

You and oldsox both said that Collins is only getting a shot over Mercedes because he was a 1st rounder. That's not true. It's because he's a significantly better pro prospect. Collins can play multiple positions (not at a great level), hits left handed, and is younger. Yermin Mercedes has no position. I can't believe this is even a thing. 

I get the position thing, I just don't know what to do with Collins. He's ok defensively at C. He's blocked by McCann at this point, unless you don't think enough of him to start. I'd rather he stay up and get 2 starts a week and learn how to be an MLB catcher. I agree with those that think he has nothing more to learn in AAA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Are you really using career slash to compare a guy who is two years older and has played at a level behind Collins each year?  Also, well over half of Zack’s plate appearances have been in AA or above, whereas less than 30% of Mercedes’ have been above A+.  That’s a really bad way to assess these guys.

Did you see Collins' triple slash in the low minors? It is absolutely valid. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Did you see Collins' triple slash in the low minors? It is absolutely valid. 

The team doesn't care about his triple slash line. They don't care at all about his batting average. Get on base and hit homers. That's what Collins is expected to do. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I get the position thing, I just don't know what to do with Collins. He's ok defensively at C. He's blocked by McCann at this point, unless you don't think enough of him to start. I'd rather he stay up and get 2 starts a week and learn how to be an MLB catcher. I agree with those that think he has nothing more to learn in AAA. 

Almost all catchers max out around 100-120 games these days anyway. There are plenty of at-bats for him as a back-up C, with some DH/1B time when you need another LHB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Collins could get 3-4 games a week with that versatility.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Almost all catchers max out around 100-120 games these days anyway. There are plenty of at-bats for him as a back-up C, with some DH/1B time when you need another LHB

While I understand that, having a backup catcher is important in the AL and he's not going to get enough ABs backing up McCann. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, steveno89 said:

I'm shocked so many are giving up on Collins after a few mlb games. He should be sent back to AAA to get regular at bats, but he could still turn out to be a solid player. 

He will get his chances for sure. He was mostly brought up as a backup since McCann deserves to play. Castillo might be ready soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I get the position thing, I just don't know what to do with Collins. He's ok defensively at C. He's blocked by McCann at this point, unless you don't think enough of him to start. I'd rather he stay up and get 2 starts a week and learn how to be an MLB catcher. I agree with those that think he has nothing more to learn in AAA. 

Collins as a back up catcher to McCann works well for bring him along.  Catching 2 or 3 times per week and occasional DH and pitch hit duties.  Fisk and Karkovice did this for some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Collins as a back up catcher to McCann works well for bring him along.  Catching 2 or 3 times per week and occasional DH and pitch hit duties.  Fisk and Karkovice did this for some time.

If he can hit his weight that's a pretty good plan...putting him behind a solid catcher in the bigs for 1.5 seasons also gives him time to continue working on defense and on handling a pitching staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

If he can hit his weight that's a pretty good plan...putting him behind a solid catcher in the bigs for 1.5 seasons also gives him time to continue working on defense and on handling a pitching staff.

People talk about Abreu having value as a mentor.  I have seen many of our players talking with McCann in what looks like mentoring type discussions as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible they could co exist as a platoon at DH?  Collins doesn't do well vs LHP. Collins OPS about .250 worse vs LHP.   Collins also getting some time at first and occasional catching.  Yermin as DH and essentially emergency third catcher.  Also his OPS much better vs LHP though small sizes each year.  I think you could as once Robert is a regular in CF , Leury becomes your super sub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I think you are all overthinking it. I am willing to eat crow, but I think Reed will be gone by September.

I agree.  Can't get my head around any logic in him being on this team unless they want a proven backup first baseman instead of one of the other options like Collins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 3:31 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I get the position thing, I just don't know what to do with Collins. He's ok defensively at C. He's blocked by McCann at this point, unless you don't think enough of him to start. I'd rather he stay up and get 2 starts a week and learn how to be an MLB catcher. I agree with those that think he has nothing more to learn in AAA. 

I like him working with McCann.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://mobile.twitter.com/jlazowski14/status/1150970641534857218 

Hot take:  Gavin Sheets becomes the primary DH for the Sox beginning June of next year.  They want/need a lefty DH with the way the future lineup is figuring to take shape.  Sheets makes good contact for a big man and has been hitting for more power.  Last 40 games:  .329/.395/.575.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jlazowski14/status/1150970641534857218 

Hot take:  Gavin Sheets becomes the primary DH for the Sox beginning June of next year.  They want/need a lefty DH with the way the future lineup is figuring to take shape.  Sheets makes good contact for a big man and has been hitting for more power.  Last 40 games:  .329/.395/.575.

And with Abreu re-signed to a 1 year deal (hopefully only one year), they let him walk after next year and Sheets plays 1B until Vaughn is ready to come up. Then he moved back to DH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep running Reed out there for a bit.  He's looked dreadful, but 3 games is a pretty small sample to get going.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×