Sox claim 1b A.J. Reed off waivers AND send him to majors

smalls2598

2 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Screw that. The Sox should be spending some big $$$ this offseason on impact talent for 2020 and beyond. Guys like Reed, Palka, Castillo, Tilson, Jay, Cordell better not be taking up 40 man roster spots next year. 

Agreed but easier said than done.  It’s too bad that Reed wasn’t available last offseason.  He would have been the perfect guy to give a bunch of DH at bats to over Alonso this season.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

To be fair, Reed was the favorite wild card third piece along with garrett stubbs. I don't believe either flete or rose are even in the org anymore either.

Yeah, wasn’t it Francis Martes, A.J. Reed, and Garrett Stubbs because Alex Bregman was off limits?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Good use of waivers, crazy that guy didn't pan out to more. Not optimistic that a player that couldn't work at Houston in 2019 is going to be a sudden piece.

I mean, they literally released a guy who went on to be the best hitter or 2nd best hitter in baseball with this current regime. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I mean, they literally released a guy who went on to be the best hitter or 2nd best hitter in baseball with this current regime. 

Yeah, that was six years ago and they have changed as much as any organization since then to make sure it didn't happen again, including firing their manager for not giving him enough spring training at bats.

8 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yeah, wasn’t it Francis Martes, A.J. Reed, and Garrett Stubbs because Alex Bregman was off limits?

No, Tucker was the main piece that people put together from the astros after bregman with some version of musgrove/marte then reed/stubbs etc rounding it out. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Yeah, that was six years ago and they have changed as much as any organization since then to make sure it didn't happen again, including firing their manager for not giving him enough spring training at bats.

Yeah, the awful Houston regime that lost Johan Santana in the Rule 5 draft and released J.D. Martinez is long gone.

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

To be fair, Reed was the favorite wild card third piece along with garrett stubbs. I don't believe either flete or rose are even in the org anymore either.

You can catch both guys at Thunderbolts stadium in Crestwood on various weekends this summer. 

Edited by mqr

Just now, bmags said:

bmags, I know you love the Astros but they're going to make mistakes like every other organization - even if it's less of them. They are dealing with people and it's a very inexact science... If they knew what they had in Reed two years ago they would have traded him for a nice piece when he had value.

People are volatile and unpredictable. Reed has struggled significantly in the minors this year which is odd and hard to explain... confidence? injury? scouting report? Who knows, but I don't think Houston is incapable of making mistakes and it certainly is easy to blame the manager for not giving spring at bats... but you literally take BP every single day and have plenty of split squads in spring. 

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yeah, the awful Houston regime that lost Johan Santana in the Rule 5 draft and released J.D. Martinez is long gone.

i wonder what Houston would do with a front office person who traded away a Tatis Junior for James Shields. 

17 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Agreed but easier said than done.  It’s too bad that Reed wasn’t available last offseason.  He would have been the perfect guy to give a bunch of DH at bats to over Alonso this season.

Maybe the plan is to trade Abreu in the next few weeks and let Reed play out the rest of the year at First? 

5 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

i wonder what Houston would do with a front office person who traded away a Tatis Junior for James Shields. 

well he also traded a 4th starter for Eloy and Cease so you win some you lose some.  Hahn might not be a great GM but he's done well with the rebuild so far and if he's not the guy to get them over the top it will because of bad FA and drafting not trades.

12 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Maybe the plan is to trade Abreu in the next few weeks and let Reed play out the rest of the year at First? 

White Sox claimed 1B A.J. Reed off waivers from the Astros; optioned him to Triple-A Charlotte.

Reed got designated for assignment by Houston last week.  The former top prospect was batting .224/.329/.469 with 12 home runs and 35 RBI in 56 games this season for Triple-A Round Rock.  He could join the White Sox as a bench bat at some point in the second half and might move into a more prominent role if Jose Abreu is traded.

I don’t see this happening though.  The second bolded portion that is.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

bmags, I know you love the Astros but they're going to make mistakes like every other organization - even if it's less of them. They are dealing with people and it's a very inexact science... If they knew what they had in Reed two years ago they would have traded him for a nice piece when he had value.

People are volatile and unpredictable. Reed has struggled significantly in the minors this year which is odd and hard to explain... confidence? injury? scouting report? Who knows, but I don't think Houston is incapable of making mistakes and it certainly is easy to blame the manager for not giving spring at bats... but you literally take BP every single day and have plenty of split squads in spring. 

Yes, I'm sorry, please go on and explain how this 26 year old first baseman who has declining power numbers repeating AAA for the third time in one of the best hitting environments in baseball, in a season with a surge in offensive output due to a change in baseballs, in one of the best talent identifying and developing organizations in baseball, is going to be JD martinez.

JD martinez of course, was an actual big leaguer for years before, a fringey poor defensive outfielder who completely remade his swing in an offseason and it didn't manifest itself in the limited playing time they had to re-evaluate it before releasing him. 

What has changed since 2013? Well they have added millions in technology and coaching that would have helped show them that his swing plane had changed, launch angle had become consistently better and his exit velocity improved. They have turned over almost all of the staff since then. They actually held themselves accountable for the mistake. 

But yes, nice anecdote. I'm sure AJ Reed is going to be JD Martinez just like Yolmer is going to be a superstar. You called it.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

This could be the sign I don't want. They are trading Jose and this guy is ready to immediately take over at first. ... It's pretty obvious. Hahn is definitely trade-happy and he will simply tell people like me who are upset that they may try to sign Jose in the offseason. They'll have to be careful, however, as that might mean they don't believe this new guy can hit in the bigs.

Edited by greg775
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

But yes, nice anecdote. I'm sure AJ Reed is going to be JD Martinez just like Yolmer is going to be a superstar. You called it.

Yolmer is already a superstar.  Gatorade is putting the finishing touches on an 8 digit contract offer for him as we speak.

8 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

White Sox claimed 1B A.J. Reed off waivers from the Astros; optioned him to Triple-A Charlotte.

Reed got designated for assignment by Houston last week.  The former top prospect was batting .224/.329/.469 with 12 home runs and 35 RBI in 56 games this season for Triple-A Round Rock.  He could join the White Sox as a bench bat at some point in the second half and might move into a more prominent role if Jose Abreu is traded.

Yep. The more I think about it, the less likely it is that Abreu is traded. Abreu wasn't traded 3 years ago during the beginning of the firesale so I'm not sure why he would be traded now. 

22 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Who wrote this?

24 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This could be the sign I don't want. They are trading Jose and this guy is ready to immediately take over at first. ... It's pretty obvious. Hahn is definitely trade-happy and he will simply tell people like me who are upset that they may try to sign Jose in the offseason. They'll have to be careful, however, as that might mean they don't believe this new guy can hit in the bigs.

It’s nice to take a flier on this guy cuz he’s still relatively young (just turned 26) but there’s probably only a microscopic chance he becomes the hitter that Abreu already is.  I wouldn’t worry too much about it.  And if Reed does magically pan out and can put up anywhere near his .282 .374 .540 .914 career minor league line in the majors, we should all be ecstatic.

I don’t think this claim has much to do with Abreu or Vaughn.  It’s just that Hahn saw a former top prospect that is still somewhat young get cut loose so he pounced.  He has been doing this often over the years.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

NBC Sports.

Yeah I don't buy that for a second. Sox have room for this churn, probably have favorable scouting reports, like him more than their 40th guy, take a shot. 

35 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I agree, Ìt‘s not like he was setting the world on fire in AAA. Guys  who actually produced in the minors like Skole or Mercedes deserve a shot before him or you might as well tell the guys in the minors that your performance, unless you are a high draft pick, doesn‘t matter.

• bmags pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic