Sox claim 1b A.J. Reed off waivers AND send him to majors

smalls2598

1 minute ago, bubba phillips said:

Excerpt from the MLBTradeRumors story:

There’s little reason for the Sox not to give Reed a look, however. given his recent prospect pedigree and the potential long-term opening at first/DH. 

Apparently they think that it's too early to give the 1B job to Vaughn in the near future.

It would be difficult for Andrew Vaughn to both play 1b and DH in the same game.

59 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

bmags, I know you love the Astros but they're going to make mistakes like every other organization - even if it's less of them. They are dealing with people and it's a very inexact science... If they knew what they had in Reed two years ago they would have traded him for a nice piece when he had value.

The difference is that the Astros are top notch in drafting and developing prospects. So if they make a bad trade, new prospects to replenish the till are right around the corner.  the White Sox are not good at it, so mistakes magnify.  Hahn's two biggest mistakes were in trades he shouldn't have made anyway because he was getting very little in return

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

There’s little reason for the Sox not to give Reed a look, however. given his recent prospect pedigree and the potential long-term opening at first/DH. 

Apparently they think that it's too early to give the 1B job to Vaughn in the near future.

Eh, they put a “/DH” in there.  If Abreu isn’t resigned for more than one year, it could be true.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Yes, I'm sorry, please go on and explain how this 26 year old first baseman who has declining power numbers repeating AAA for the third time in one of the best hitting environments in baseball, in a season with a surge in offensive output due to a change in baseballs, in one of the best talent identifying and developing organizations in baseball, is going to be JD martinez.

JD martinez of course, was an actual big leaguer for years before, a fringey poor defensive outfielder who completely remade his swing in an offseason and it didn't manifest itself in the limited playing time they had to re-evaluate it before releasing him. 

What has changed since 2013? Well they have added millions in technology and coaching that would have helped show them that his swing plane had changed, launch angle had become consistently better and his exit velocity improved. They have turned over almost all of the staff since then. They actually held themselves accountable for the mistake. 

But yes, nice anecdote. I'm sure AJ Reed is going to be JD Martinez just like Yolmer is going to be a superstar. You called it.

Where did I say any of this? I literally said he'd likely suck. Point to where I said he'd be JD Martinez. You made a point that Houston wouldn't let go of a guy who could turn it around under this modern regime, and I pointed to an exact instance with this regime when they did exactly that. You cited spring training ab's which is hilarious as if they didn't see JD everyday outside of games. Manager was the scapegoat for them not recognizing Martinez changed. 

He won't likely suck because Houston released him more so than any other team... that is my entire point.

JD Martinez was a negative WAR player over 240 MLB games before his revolution so let's not say he'd been a major leaguer for "years" as he'd actually been as bad as Daniel Palka at that point in his career. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

22 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Where did I say any of this? I literally said he'd likely suck. Point to where I said he'd be JD Martinez. You made a point that Houston wouldn't let go of a guy who could turn it around under this modern regime, and I pointed to an exact instance with this regime when they did exactly that. You cited spring training ab's which is hilarious as if they didn't see JD everyday outside of games. Manager was the scapegoat for them not recognizing Martinez changed. 

He won't likely suck because Houston released him more so than any other team... that is my entire point.

JD Martinez was a negative WAR player over 240 MLB games before his revolution so let's not say he'd been a major leaguer for "years" as he'd actually been as bad as Daniel Palka at that point in his career. 

Ah so he had been in the major leagues spanning more than a single year? Great point.

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ah so he had been in the major leagues spanning more than a single year? Great point.

You argued he was a MLB caliber player which he wasnt unless you think palka was.

Irregardless your tangent was out of character and really bizarre... I never said any of the things you claimed I did regarding Reed.  I merely was pointing out an example of the Astros making a mistake. 

I dont know why reed has struggled. It's weird for sure. Hes gotten worse in a league in which hitting has improved.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 hour ago, bubba phillips said:

Could be a stop gap if a deal is in place for Jose and we wait a bit for Vaughn.

7 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Could be a stop gap if a deal is in place for Jose and we wait a bit for Vaughn.

Good lord.  It's a move to improve the 38th or 39th or 40th spot on the roster.  Unless he hits 300/400/600 in Charlotte the rest of the way it literally will have (I mean this literally) zero bearing on Jose and the Sox' future.

The author is just a national guy that doesn't know the Sox just drafted Vaughn or that Jose is a beloved figure in Chicago that despite being old and in the last year of his deal is likely to return to the club for the next couple years and won't be traded.

I honestly look at this more as possible leverage against Abreu signing an extension, rather than Abreu being marked as trade bait. I'd be shocked if Abreu is moved. Jimenez and Moncada have already praised him this year for helping them. Matt Skole is literally the next legitimate, pure 1B in line if Abreu goes down. I would think that Alonso was supposed to be that guy, but we all know how that ended up. Probably signals the Sox also realize Palka and Collins are not long term solutions at 1B. Low-risk, high reward type of move. Regardless, I'd expect nothing to really come of it.

3 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Some poster here called for this claim and got ripped for it.  Hahn will take a shot on anyone who was a former top prospect and is still youngish and rightfully so.  Nothing to really lose.

That was me.

Glad to see the Sox give Reed a shot. Nothing to lose. He probably sucks, but no reason to not give him a shot. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I have a really bad feeling the reason Collins was brought up was so he can learn as much as possible about the big league game from James McCann before he's traded at the deadline.  I obviously hope I'm wrong but I can't think of another logical reason for why he has been handled the way he has.  

Why in world would we call him up to work with McCann only to trade him?  That doesn’t make any sense to me.

3 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I agree, Ìt‘s not like he was setting the world on fire in AAA. Guys  who actually produced in the minors like Skole or Mercedes deserve a shot before him or you might as well tell the guys in the minors that your performance, unless you are a high draft pick, doesn‘t matter.

I understand your point. But if this guy is heading for Charlotte, it may not be a good sign for Skole /Merecdes playing time in AAA over the next 2 months.  

8 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I understand your point. But if this guy is heading for Charlotte, it may not be a good sign for Skole /Merecdes playing time in AAA over the next 2 months.  

Skole is turning 30 at the end of the month.  Pass.   Mercedes is still 26 like Reed at least.

6 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I am not saying Skole is something who should be in the majors. I just disagreed with the premise of that blurb of Reed being first in line for eventual at bats because of his status as former top prospect since he has a worse OPS than Adam Engel in AAA.

But that could very well be a reason the Sox give Reed the first shot.  Skole has no future with the Sox due to his age.  The Sox have given Engel numerous chances.  He can play defense but he can’t hit in the majors.  Also, the Sox have an opening at DH now and in the near future.  We already know who the long-term solution is for CF.

But I agree with you.  After Palka failed for the second time, if the Sox decide to send Collins back down they should give the DH position to either Yermin or Reed.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

9 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Irregardless your tangent was out of character and really bizarre... 

The only thing that makes me go on tangents is when people use "irregardless"

😉

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Richie said:

The only thing that makes me go on tangents is when people use "irregardless"

😉

“For all intensive purposes,” I think you should “borrow” him some forgiveness.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Haha 2

• bmags pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic