Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
smalls2598

Sox claim 1b A.J. Reed off waivers AND send him to majors

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Lillian said:

I'd be interested to hear more about Reed's weight, and what all of your thoughts are, on the subject. This young man seems to be in quite awful shape. That's quite a belly he's carrying there, and I understand that he has not expressed any interest in trying to change that.

1st thing I did was look at his Baseball Reference page and saw he was 6'4" 275. The next thing i thought was lose some weight like Avi did and loosen up that swing. Avi never looks pudgy but I always though he was too heavy. Avi was too athletic to be carrying so much weight. Not sure how athletic Reed is but I'm just going to guess that he's about 20 lbs. heavier than he was in college until someone tells me I'm wrong. Avi got in better shape and he became a better player for it.

Reed I guess has a rep as a decent fielding 1st baseman so maybe he has some quickness or was light on his feet.I wonder how he would play at 250 lbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mqr said:

I'm not sure what to make of Burdi, because they were clearly taking a risk with that pick.

It was a poorly conceived risk to take; a lot of risk for not a lot of upside. 

I don't see a problem with sticking Reed at 1B for a few weeks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

1st thing I did was look at his Baseball Reference page and saw he was 6'4" 275. The next thing i thought was lose some weight like Avi did and loosen up that swing. Avi never looks pudgy but I always though he was too heavy. Avi was too athletic to be carrying so much weight. Not sure how athletic Reed is but I'm just going to guess that he's about 20 lbs. heavier than he was in college until someone tells me I'm wrong. Avi got in better shape and he became a better player for it.

Reed I guess has a rep as a decent fielding 1st baseman so maybe he has some quickness or was light on his feet.I wonder how he would play at 250 lbs.

He was 240 when drafted by the Astros.  He is currently listed at 275 but I found an article that said he lost 20 pounds coming into 2018 Spring Training.  I’m thinking he is back closer to that 275 now.  And yes, I was surprised to read about his defensive skills at 1B considering his size.  Maybe that isn’t as accurate now at his current weight?

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

He was 240 when drafted by the Astros.  He is currently listed at 275 but I found an article that said he lost 20 pounds coming into 2018 Spring Training.  I’m thinking he is back closer to that 275 now.

Great you've been like my fact checker today. Luckily for me my memory and guesses were both right . Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

It was a poorly conceived risk to take; a lot of risk for not a lot of upside. 

I don't see a problem with sticking Reed at 1B for a few weeks.

 

I doubt Reed plays much 1B over Abreu.  I think they have him targeted at DH just to get at bats, with an occasional swap with Abreu at 1B to give him a break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This guy is another Palka. I don't say that negatively. I liked Palka; he just couldn't hit MLB. Like Palka's last stand, this is Reed's last stand. If he pulls a Palka, he gawn and done. If he hits, he could start to fulfil what everybody thought he'd be. He is a big guy; my guess is he's 10-30 pounds too heavy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, oldsox said:

So we cut Alonso and get AJ Reed.  My wheels are spinning.

Like I said, it’s a shame Reed wasn’t cut or made available by the Astros last offseason before Hahn blew $9 million on Alonso.  Could have given Reed a good number of at bats to sink or swim in a meaningless season.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

 

Castillo should just be released. He is a cheater and a guy who has no future with the White Sox. 

 

This as well

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Like I said, it’s a shame Reed wasn’t cut or made available by the Astros last offseason before Hahn blew $9 million on Alonso.  Could have given Reed a good number of at bats to sink or swim in a meaningless season.

Now that's a good post by Moan. I endorse that post.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Lillian I owe you an apology. 

Really confused by how they'll balance Reed and Collins, unless they're sending Collins back down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Quin said:

@Lillian I owe you an apology. 

Really confused by how they'll balance Reed and Collins, unless they're sending Collins back down.

Could they be cutting Castro?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Like I said, it’s a shame Reed wasn’t cut or made available by the Astros last offseason before Hahn blew $9 million on Alonso.  Could have given Reed a good number of at bats to sink or swim in a meaningless season.

For the millionth time, Alonso wasn’t a baseball move.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

For the millionth time, Alonso wasn’t a baseball move.

I don't understand how you even tie the two together.  Yonder was a dumb move this one is a smart one.  Put it in the ledger however you want but one had nothing to do with the other.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Nice write-up and fully agree that we should have taken more gambles like this throughout the rebuild.

Alen Hansen falls into this same category no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

For the millionth time, Alonso wasn’t a baseball move.

Then it was really really stupid because they just could have added the money they paid Alonso to Manny's offer. Obviously Manny didn't give a flip about playing with his brother in law. Just add that money to the mega offer to Manny if it wasn't a baseball move at all. They obviously didn't think Alonso was this bad. Because if they did, his anemic production would just about have erased Manny's value. You can't have a guy hit .180 with no power and no run producing ability. Manny woulda had to hit .400 with 55 homers to make up for two positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Quin said:

@Lillian I owe you an apology. 

Really confused by how they'll balance Reed and Collins, unless they're sending Collins back down.

I figured it was a no-brainer that Collins would be going back to AAA  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I figured it was a no-brainer that Collins would be going back to AAA  

 

That’s a bummer. I think Collins has a much higher ceiling than Reed and if he’s going to be productive in any capacity next season it’s much more likely to happen if he gets nearly half a season of MLB experience in 2019. Let him get his lumps in now. Same reason I want to see Robert and Madrigal up by August. This team is in a position to contend for the postseason in 2020 simply by promoting from within and adding a pitcher or two. Playing the service time game and giving at bats to guys that won’t be a part of the next good White Sox team doesn’t make sense anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mqr said:

Alen Hansen falls into this same category no?

I think what Jimmy is getting at is that we wasted lots of at-bats on guys with very limited ceilings (Yolmer, Engel, Delmonico, etc) and could have used that playing time on former top prospects whose stock was down but offered some upside like Reed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, greg775 said:

Then it was really really stupid because they just could have added the money they paid Alonso to Manny's offer. Obviously Manny didn't give a flip about playing with his brother in law. Just add that money to the mega offer to Manny if it wasn't a baseball move at all. They obviously didn't think Alonso was this bad. Because if they did, his anemic production would just about have erased Manny's value. You can't have a guy hit .180 with no power and no run producing ability. Manny woulda had to hit .400 with 55 homers to make up for two positions.

You think Yonder sucking for one year at $9M would someone erase the value of a 8/$250M commitment?  This wasn’t about competing in 2019 but rather getting Machado in the door.  I’m not going to defend the move because it ultimately didn’t work, but the production piece isn’t what this was about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

You mean like 1b for Vaughn and DH for Reed? 

It would be great if when Vaughn is ready for the bigs, Reed is already entrenched at 1st and we use both or trade one. That is much better than hope Reed holds down 1st till vaughn arrives.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

It would be great if when Vaughn is ready for the bigs, Reed is already entrenched at 1st and we use both or trade one. That is much better than hope Reed holds down 1st till vaughn arrives.  

SCCWS, are you saying that Reed >>> Abreu? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×