Castillo begins rehab assignment

Heads22

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

Him being on the roster allows both McCann and Collins to be in the lineup every day. Teams do not normally start their only 2 catchers in the same lineup every day. Theres value in him being on the team with Collins up.

^^^^^

I think that the Sox know Collins is strictly a platoon player. Castillo will start vs. LHP and Collins vs. RHP. Whomever is on the bench is the backup catcher for that game. 

34 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

^^^^^

I think that the Sox know Collins is strictly a platoon player. Castillo will start vs. LHP and Collins vs. RHP. Whomever is on the bench is the backup catcher for that game. 

If they think our 24 year old 1st round pick a few years ago is only a platoon player already they all deserve to be fired.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

If they think our 24 year old 1st round pick a few years ago is only a platoon player already they all deserve to be fired.

I don't disagree with you, I still think there is some incompetence here. IMO the best case scenario with Collins is him being a platoon player. Anyone who posts here should know that I haven't thought that Collins is an MLB player for more than a year now. To say I'm not a fan is an understatement, lol. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

58 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Spoiler alert....he can’t hit LHP. A platoon catcher would be fine except for the whole he’s not good at catching or hitting part.

7 hours ago, fathom said:

Spoiler alert....he can’t hit LHP. A platoon catcher would be fine except for the whole he’s not good at catching or hitting part.

Wow, this seems unfairly harsh.  From what I’ve seen and heard he seems better than expected behind the plate.  And while LHP may always be an issue, to say he can’t hit RHP is ridiculous.  I’m guessing you’re just messing around on that latter point.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow, this seems unfairly harsh.  From what I’ve seen and heard he seems better than expected behind the plate.  And while LHP may always be an issue, to say he can’t hit RHP is ridiculous.  I’m guessing you’re just messing around on that latter point.

For all I've heard about Collins' defense being laughably bad, I expected him to be a train wreck behind the plate. Instead, he has actually looked pretty good defensively. Not sure why people are continuing to push the "Collins sucks defensively" narrative when there's no evidence at the MLB level to prove that it's true. 

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

For all I've heard about Collins' defense being laughably bad, I expected him to be a train wreck behind the plate. Instead, he has actually looked pretty good defensively. Not sure why people are continuing to push the "Collins sucks defensively" narrative when there's no evidence at the MLB level to prove that it's true. 

Because “nobody outside the Sox organization thinks Collins can stick at catcher.”

That became the company line around here and most people jumped on the bandwagon. 

I know I have posted this before, but what K Law said about his D is, he calls a good game and controls the base paths well, but is a below average receiver/framer. That is a far cry from the butcher everybody talks about. I am a big Collins fan, but with McCann he wont have a ton of opportunities to catch. I hope we McCann keeps it up and is here for a while and Collins is a better than average back-up. Having Castillo up will give us the ability to use Collins/McCann as the DH giving Collins the AB he needs.

1 hour ago, yesterday333 said:

I know I have posted this before, but what K Law said about his D is, he calls a good game and controls the base paths well, but is a below average receiver/framer. That is a far cry from the butcher everybody talks about. I am a big Collins fan, but with McCann he wont have a ton of opportunities to catch. I hope we McCann keeps it up and is here for a while and Collins is a better than average back-up. Having Castillo up will give us the ability to use Collins/McCann as the DH giving Collins the AB he needs.

I've seen collins catch all of one game in MLB.  From that sample I have concluded he is better than Omar by quite a bit.  His lower body is quieter, for example.  

Is he prime Ron Karkovice with the arm and blocking?  Well no but he's tolerable once or twice a week back there from what I've seen.

He needs to hit tho or it doesn't matter one bit.

21 hours ago, fathom said:

My impression has been that his catching has been better than advertised.  I know...small sample size.

I might be missing something here but catcher is the one position where a platoon makes sense given a catcher cannot play 162 games anyway. I’d collins only plays against righties he would still not be a wasted roster spot. 

I just don’t massively see the problem here as long as he hits. If he don’t he was a wasted pick regardless.