Rodon

Flash

Does anyone have a sense for when Rodon will return and, relatedly, can be expected to be effective? I know he had surgery (TJ?) but am not sure what the prognosis is. Do we think he will contribute in 2020? Is there a scenario where we let him walk? Thanks

5 minutes ago, Flash said:

Does anyone have a sense for when Rodon will return and, relatedly, can be expected to be effective? I know he had surgery (TJ?) but am not sure what the prognosis is. Do we think he will contribute in 2020? Is there a scenario where we let him walk? Thanks

9-12 months from surgery is the usual rehab. So he should be available for the second half of the  year. 

As far as letting him walk, who knows.

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

9-12 months from surgery is the usual rehab. So he should be available for the second half of the  year. 

As far as letting him walk, who knows.

Thanks ptatc - so he will go through arbitration prior to start of season and before we have an idea of his health situtation? Is that correct? He's making $4.9 this year so guessing he'll shoot for a bump up.

I don't believe the White Sox would do this, but I'm done with him. He's a free agent after next year even if things went well. I'd rather take the money we'd spend on him and sign one more reliever or a swingman who can be ready to start the year rather than waiting on a rehabbing starter.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't believe the White Sox would do this, but I'm done with him. He's a free agent after next year even if things went well. I'd rather take the money we'd spend on him and sign one more reliever or a swingman who can be ready to start the year rather than waiting on a rehabbing starter.

How does non tendering an injured player work exactly?  I'm over him as well.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm with you, but you have the timeline wrong. He isn't a FA until after the 2021 season. If things go well with him should you keep him, you still have him for the 2021 season. I'm tired of waiting for him to get healthy, but there are organizations that waited forever for ace quality pitchers before finally saying goodbye. 

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Basically the White Sox have until right around the start of December to offer him arbitration next year. If they choose not to offer him arbitration, he becomes a free agent and he is removed from the White Sox's 40 man roster, costing the team nothing. If he is offered arbitration, he continues to hold a 40 man roster spot (regardless of injury status) and they will have to either come to a contract agreement by mid-January or present cases to an arbitrator, which the White Sox almost never do.

Salaries almost never go down in arbitration (I can't say I know the last time it happened league wide) so if he's making about $5 million this year, offering him arbitration would guarantee him about $5.5 million or so, maybe $6 million, something like that, next season.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

They just don't offer him arbitration. That is it. He becomes a FA at that point. It happens all of the time to injured pitchers with one or two seasons of control left that have had TJS. 

13 minutes ago, Flash said:

Thanks ptatc - so he will go through arbitration prior to start of season and before we have an idea of his health situtation? Is that correct? He's making $4.9 this year so guessing he'll shoot for a bump up.

It should make for an interesting arbitration case.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

There is always that 15%.

I know there is that 15%. I hope to god that Kopech is one of the 85%, because the idea of this organization without him makes the rebuild  iffy. 

Strasburg threw over 100 and when he came back he topped out at 97-98. I'm kind of expecting the same for Kopech. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

The fact that he's coming off a shoulder surgery as well has to increase that number no?

I don't  think so. He looked recovered from that. I think it's just the UCL reconstruction. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I know there is that 15%. I hope to god that Kopech is one of the 85%, because the idea of this organization without him makes the rebuild even more iffy. 

Odds are good.

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I don't  think so. He looked recovered from that. I think it's just the UCL reconstruction. 

"Recovered" needs to be in quotes because his stuff was still down from 2015-2016 in 2017 and 2018 when he was dealing with and coming back from the shoulder injury. In 2018 his fastball velocity was down 1 mph from where he was in 2015-2016 and the pitch was substantially less effective.

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

"Recovered" needs to be in quotes because his stuff was still down from 2015-2016 in 2017 and 2018 when he was dealing with and coming back from the shoulder injury. In 2018 his fastball velocity was down 1 mph from where he was in 2015-2016 and the pitch was substantially less effective.

How about he was recovered from the injury. If he comes all the way back to his previous level of play is another story. 

Besides it's very possible his decreased stuff was due to the elbow issues. He was having them for a while. He may have been overthrowing trying to come back from the shoulder. 

I’d offer Rodon a 3 year $20M extension with 2 team options. 

$5M in 2019, $7M in 2020, $8M in 2021. $10M and $12M team options in 22 and 23. Knowing Hahn’s track record, I would expect something of that structure proposed, and I’d be all for it. Gives the Sox a lot of upside, and while $20M over 3 years isn’t nothing, it’s not a backbreaking sum if Rodon is a reliever or even if he never really regains form. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I’d offer Rodon a 3 year $20M extension with 2 team options. 

$5M in 2019, $7M in 2020, $8M in 2021. $10M and $12M team options in 22 and 23. Knowing Hahn’s track record, I would expect something of that structure proposed, and I’d be all for it. Gives the Sox a lot of upside, and while $20M over 3 years isn’t nothing, it’s not a backbreaking sum if Rodon is a reliever or even if he never really regains form. 

Interesting but would Boras go for it?

If Rodon was a free agent this offseason, what kind of offers do you think he'd get?

What's the market for a 27 year old who has only pitched over 140 innings once in his career, coming off TJ surgery, who has pitched 220 innings total over the last 3 seasons with an ERA north of 4.30 during that time?

I wouldn't guarantee him 20 million.  Maybe 3 for 15 with incentives.  150 innings, 25 games started, all star.  1 million extra each year for each one achieved. 

Would bring the total to 3 for 24, but we'd obviously take that for an all star.