7/11 Games

soxfan49

This morning he’s the best player in the world and a future 50-50 guy. I’m almost glad he didn’t hit a second grand slam or some guys heads might have exploded. 

Hard to ask for a better debut, though. He’s been gradually lowering his k-rate too, which was my main concern. It’ll be interesting to see what they do if he keeps mashing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know the quote. Scouts say shit like that all the time. Every year there’s a new one. I used to run into a scout in my territory pretty regularly and every single time there was a new “best hitter he’s ever seen” 

Im not discounting Robert’s ability, but come on. 

53 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

I know the quote. Scouts say shit like that all the time. Every year there’s a new one. I used to run into a scout in my territory pretty regularly and every single time there was a new “best hitter he’s ever seen” 

I posted it mostly in jest but I do think he's truly a special talent who may actually become a top 5 player in MLB. 

2 hours ago, Blackout Friday said:

Ryan Sweeney was a "golden god."

3 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I posted it mostly in jest but I do think he's truly a special talent who may actually become a top 5 player in MLB. 

Yeah I think he’ll be really good, too. 

I guess I try to temper expectations a bit, but mostly because it bother me seeing guys fall victim to impossible expectations. You can see it with Moncada a bit, even in the midst of a great season.

It’s hard to not get excited, though, I agree. 

7 hours ago, Blackout Friday said:

This isnt an area scout pal. This was an international MLB scouting director. 

Also, legit high level mlb scouts dont say this is the best player on the planet about prospects ever.... to act otherwise is not being honest.

Luis robert was obviously not better than mike trout two years ago, but you could argue he has the best tools on the planet currently - which is what scouting evaluation is all about. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This isnt an area scout pal. This was an international MLB scouting director. 

Also, legit high level mlb scouts dont say this is the best player on the planet about prospects ever.... to act otherwise is not being honest.

Luis robert was obviously not better than mike trout two years ago, but you could argue he has the best tools on the planet currently - which is what scouting evaluation is all about. 

I basically question the seriousness/sincerity of the quote. In casual conversation, it’s common to speak in hyperbole.  These off the cuff remarks get taken too seriously sometimes. Robert is the best player on the planet and Viciedo was the Babe Ruth of Cuba. 

...Scouting is more than simply evaluating tools. That’s the easy part. 

Also, no need for the whole “pal” thing.

3 hours ago, Blackout Friday said:

I basically question the seriousness/sincerity of the quote. In casual conversation, it’s common to speak in hyperbole.  These off the cuff remarks get taken too seriously sometimes. Robert is the best player on the planet and Viciedo was the Babe Ruth of Cuba. 

...Scouting is more than simply evaluating tools. That’s the easy part. 

Also, no need for the whole “pal” thing.

Someone will have to tell me when pal got a negative connotation.