Keith Law MId-Season Top 50

Y2Jimmy0

He doesn't include Dylan Cease on this list because he doesn't include guys in the majors on his midseason list. Kind of strange. He has Robert at #9, Vaughn at #12 and Kopech at #25. 

Robert is hitting .349/.401/.618 this season between high-A and Double-A -- he has been promoted to Triple-A Charlotte but hasn't played there yet -- but when I'm in the park, he has been 0-for-9 and has missed three other games with me there due to injury. I try not to take these things personally, but I do think Lou Bob might be telling me something. He was way too advanced for Class A -- he's really big, with explosive, fast-twitch actions and great bat speed -- and it seems like Double-A pitchers didn't fare much better against him. You could see in the Futures Game that he's vulnerable to velocity inside and tries to work his hands inside the ball to adjust. I think that's the gating factor between his becoming a star and becoming a solid regular who teases you into thinking he'll become more.

12. Andrew Vaughn, 1B, Chicago White Sox

The best pure bat in the 2019 class, ranked second on my board and selected third overall, Vaughn is already in low-A Kannapolis and could finish the summer in Winston-Salem, the same model the White Sox used last year for first-round pick Nick Madrigal. Vaughn has a great, simple, quiet, right-handed approach with excellent plate discipline, projecting to hit for a high average and OBP with at least above-average power and probably a lot more. The knocks against him are that he's a right/right first baseman -- he has played a little third, but realistically he's going to be at first -- and he's only 5-foot-10. I'm not concerned until he shows us any reason, in performance or tools, to believe he won't hit.

25. Michael Kopech, RHP, Chicago White Sox

Kopech had Tommy John surgery in September, so we probably won't see him in games again until next spring, but just before the injury, he appeared to have made the last big leap, going from erratic control to electric without any loss of stuff. He's a potential No. 1 starter if healthy.

lad.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He doesn't include Dylan Cease on this list because he doesn't include guys in the majors on his midseason list. Kind of strange. He has Robert at #9, Vaughn at #12 and Kopech at #25. 

Robert is hitting .349/.401/.618 this season between high-A and Double-A -- he has been promoted to Triple-A Charlotte but hasn't played there yet -- but when I'm in the park, he has been 0-for-9 and has missed three other games with me there due to injury. I try not to take these things personally, but I do think Lou Bob might be telling me something. He was way too advanced for Class A -- he's really big, with explosive, fast-twitch actions and great bat speed -- and it seems like Double-A pitchers didn't fare much better against him. You could see in the Futures Game that he's vulnerable to velocity inside and tries to work his hands inside the ball to adjust. I think that's the gating factor between his becoming a star and becoming a solid regular who teases you into thinking he'll become more.

12. Andrew Vaughn, 1B, Chicago White Sox

The best pure bat in the 2019 class, ranked second on my board and selected third overall, Vaughn is already in low-A Kannapolis and could finish the summer in Winston-Salem, the same model the White Sox used last year for first-round pick Nick Madrigal. Vaughn has a great, simple, quiet, right-handed approach with excellent plate discipline, projecting to hit for a high average and OBP with at least above-average power and probably a lot more. The knocks against him are that he's a right/right first baseman -- he has played a little third, but realistically he's going to be at first -- and he's only 5-foot-10. I'm not concerned until he shows us any reason, in performance or tools, to believe he won't hit.

25. Michael Kopech, RHP, Chicago White Sox

Kopech had Tommy John surgery in September, so we probably won't see him in games again until next spring, but just before the injury, he appeared to have made the last big leap, going from erratic control to electric without any loss of stuff. He's a potential No. 1 starter if healthy.

lad.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Law uses 9 ABs he's seen in person of Robert plus 1 all star game to explain most of his evaluation. TRASH

2 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

Law uses 9 ABs he's seen in person of Robert plus 1 all star game to explain most of his evaluation. TRASH

Is this surprising to you? Keith Law absolutely DESPISES the White Sox. It's comical at this point. 

• Haha 2

On 7/12/2019 at 4:45 AM, Moan4Yoan said:

I will never understand the righty knock on a 1B.

Frank, Konerko, Abreu...  what a shame!

If he is really good it doesn't matter but if the bat is a bit worse it could end on the short side of the platoon while a lefty platoon hitter still has value since 70% of mlb pitchers are righties. 

But if he hits like konerko or abreu it doesn't matter of course.