Luis Robert kills it in his first game in AAA

knightni

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I'm sure that would be great for the White Sox reputation among the players and agents

I'm not sure their reputation is all that great to begin with. Padres scored some points with Tatis. But Rick isn't going to do lets say the "right" thing. 

17 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I did not say one word about the left handed issue, in my post. You, Sir are the one who brought it up. Does this mean that every time I post something, that someone is going to try to remind everyone about my desire for better balance in the order? If that is the case, well so be it. However, it is ridiculous. Yes, I have a point of view, on the subject, as do you. However, that does not mean that it is the only subject, regarding the Sox, or baseball in general, about which I have thoughts and opinions. It's not very gratifying to be the subject of such unreasonable scrutiny. If I express an opinion about another topic, why should anyone, reply with "Yes, but it's because he isn't left handed"? Do you see how unintelligent that sounds?  

You very literally have been saying it for years.   You jumped immediately into putting Reed into the lineup but you are like whoa pump the brakes on Robert everyone 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, Baron said:

I'm not sure their reputation is all that great to begin with. Padres scored some points with Tatis. But Rick isn't going to do lets say the "right" thing. 

By all accounts players love playing for the White Sox. What basis do you have for thinking they have a bad reputation?

10 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I hope he gets called up this year. If anything, you can use it as a talking point when signing other international free agents or convincing prep picks to sign. The White Sox won't play the service time game. When you're ready, you come up.

Maybe that is a moot point compared to signing bonuses, but it can't hurt.

Well, if anything it buys some goodwill towards a possible Eloy-like extension. 

10 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I hope he gets called up this year. If anything, you can use it as a talking point when signing other international free agents or convincing prep picks to sign. The White Sox won't play the service time game. When you're ready, you come up.

Maybe that is a moot point compared to signing bonuses, but it can't hurt.

The braves said fuck it with Acuna and it seems to be working out just fine.  I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him up if he keeps wrecking minor league pitching, and it looks like he just might do that

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

By all accounts players love playing for the White Sox. What basis do you have for thinking they have a bad reputation?

I'm not sure they have a good reputation with players outside currently playing. We have yet to see in free agency any of the good rep manifest itself.  If they keep offering stupid contracts like they did with Manny and playing service time games that won't help either. 

Edited by Baron

I'm assuming sox will keep him down, but there was chatter earlier that it was less of a consideration with him since they initially invested so much money so it would be better to get production on that contract. But that seems to have gone away and for good reason because it doesn't really hold much water as a rationale.

35 minutes ago, The Sir said:

I agree with that. I don't want to relegate Collins to a bench or platoon player yet, but if we play him and he can't hit lefties, then he can platoon with McCann. If he morphs into an overall hitter/monster, he can DH full time with spot starts at C to rest James, limiting the need for Abreu to stick around.

Yolmer could fit on the bench too, I suppose. I've picked on him for a long time, but if he's a defensive focused sub and bench player, he probably has a purpose. As long as we don't have to see his .654 OPS every day. Which is made worse by being right in a row with Tilson/Cordell/Castillo/whoever else.

A future where you see Yolmer as a future member of the White Sox!?!  Wow, you do love that lineup...and so do I Sir, so do I.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, poppysox said:

Madrigal will be a very effective hitter and keep the line moving type of guy.  Other than this oversite...I like your post.

If we get lucky with Vaughn things could get serious in a hurry. Definitely sign a good SP for next year. 

57 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Meh, I don't see much of a fit for Yolmer because I doubt you'd ever want to PH him for anyone in our future lineup even against a right hander, and his defense isn't going to be significantly better than TA, NM or YM to where you'd want him as a defensive sub. He'll be too expensive to be worth it. Leury, on the other hand, can play outfield defensively for Eloy, and can be your backup IF and he also hits enough to grab a start or two a week. 

I think Yolbert will become the new Yolmer. 

1 hour ago, South Sider said:

Well, if anything it buys some goodwill towards a possible Eloy-like extension. 

Sox will approach things the same way as they did with Eloy, likely inquire about a similar extension and say he can be on the opening day roster, or decline an extension and be called up mid-late April once the additional year of control is gained. 

Calling up a prospect like Robert now would be foolish under current rules. The additional season of prime control is too valuable to give up at this point in a non-contention season. Nobody will convince me otherwise.

Just now, OneDog847 said:

Seriously? For a guy that signed for like 2.5 million? Good god this franchise needs a new owner if true. 

I could be wrong, but it would be tax reasons for him not our owner. that's what we did with Robert. It could be just to get his feet wet and play his first baseball in a more comfortable environment.

9 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Seriously? For a guy that signed for like 2.5 million? Good god this franchise needs a new owner if true. 

This allows the player to keep more of the money, not the owner.  

• Haha 2

Will be interesting to see how they handle Robert. Good situation to have though. My guess is that especially in a year where they aren't going anywhere, they won't bring him up in September and start his clock. Now that situation changes if he signs a extension before then.

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

There are creative ways to get around this. So this dude isn't gonna play his first stateside game until he is like 23? 

Honestly I think this is the creative way.   I get what you are saying, I guess we will see what happens with him.  Cuban players are always on different trajectories because of the leagues that they play at such young ages and the competition that they play against, hard to say what the right plan is from my perspective.   It was probably a selling point for the Sox to offer this so the player can keep more of his bonus