Luis Robert kills it in his first game in AAA

knightni

53 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

I could be wrong, but it would be tax reasons for him not our owner. that's what we did with Robert. It could be just to get his feet wet and play his first baseball in a more comfortable environment.

this was our guess too. I am really, really really really hoping this was just to get him warmed up. Wasting age 22 year and paying him half the slot to get him to sign this year and then stash him instead of just getting a bunch of other young talent when this guy appears to be a utility player really sucks.

43 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Honestly I think this is the creative way.   I get what you are saying, I guess we will see what happens with him.  Cuban players are always on different trajectories because of the leagues that they play at such young ages and the competition that they play against, hard to say what the right plan is from my perspective.   It was probably a selling point for the Sox to offer this so the player can keep more of his bonus 

This.

If Sanchez was signed and comes right to the states he might get 25-35% of the $2.5M. So while everyone is quick to say that's not that big of a signing, he's not worthy of the Robert treatment, etc. this is a HUGE deal for Yolbert. If this is the diffrence between him getting $750k and $1M that's 33% increase on his take home pay. For a guy who will hit an un-guaranteed shot at free agency at 30-31 at the earliest I definitely respect the Sox for allowing him to keep some money.

Would he benefit from < 2 months in A Ball? Yes I think so. Is it a huge deal? No. 

EDIT: This is all said under the assumption that Sanchez is in the DSL for tax reasons is in fact true. 

Edited by raBBit

7 hours ago, Steve9347 said:

At what point does a guy like thisbforce your hand? Deal some less important prospects for Boyd or Wheeler, call up a Robert, and let’s get us a wild card slot. 

That's why I think the commissioner should step in if we trade Bummer, Colome and/or Abreu. At one point does the league penalize you for blatant tanking. I mean in the old days we'd still be considered in the race. Now we're a seller possibly.

Just now, greg775 said:

That's why I think the commissioner should step in if we trade Bummer, Colome and/or Abreu. At one point does the league penalize you for blatant tanking. I mean in the old days we'd still be considered in the race. Now we're a seller possibly.

You are ridiculous.

• Thanks 7

12 minutes ago, greg775 said:

So if they trade these guys, what exactly are you asking Manfred to do, hypothetically?

8 minutes ago, raBBit said:

If the Sox are going to call up Robert in 2019 they should do it ASAP. Otherwise, see him April 18th or whatever the date ends up being. 

Yeah you'd only call him up two get two months of experience in so it reduces the growing pains for next year. But you also better sign some pitchers this offseason. I think we can wait on Magical because he is a professional hitter who will adapt. Garcia and Sanchez can also hold down second base for a few weeks. 

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Bummer wouldn’t make much sense to trade but why would any team not look at what can be acquired for highly valued assets with short term or expiring contracts in a season where they aren’t making the playoffs?

What race do you think the Sox are in?

12.5 games back for the division

7 games back for the Wild Card

What drugs are you on?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

8 hours ago, Steve9347 said:

At what point does a guy like thisbforce your hand? Deal some less important prospects for Boyd or Wheeler, call up a Robert, and let’s get us a wild card slot. 

I think Wheeler is out for this year.  Boston and Yankees are involved so the price will be steep. 

2 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Sox will approach things the same way as they did with Eloy, likely inquire about a similar extension and say he can be on the opening day roster, or decline an extension and be called up mid-late April once the additional year of control is gained. 

Calling up a prospect like Robert now would be foolish under current rules. The additional season of prime control is too valuable to give up at this point in a non-contention season. Nobody will convince me otherwise.

I agree with you that getting the extension done would be smart.  But...can you imagine the impact on the turnstiles Robert & Madrigal would have?  The park would fill up quickly.  

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Greg...If we traded those three guys we would be getting a haul that you would love.  I don't think you need to worry.

9 hours ago, Steve9347 said:

If the starting pitching was only of to being mediocre.  

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

What case does anyone have against our management for blatant tanking this year?  We're hovering right below .500.

Besides, you don't punish teams for tanking, you change the system to not favor tanking.  Period. 

10 hours ago, Steve9347 said:

If they can't sign him, they won't call him up.  Simple as that.  They'd be crazy not to manipulate service time on a player who might turn out to be a superstar.

6 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

You very literally have been saying it for years.   You jumped immediately into putting Reed into the lineup but you are like whoa pump the brakes on Robert everyone 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The Reed situation is entirely different, not because he is left handed and Robert isn't.  My argument about Reed was that, given his age and Minor League tenure, he was going to have to be on the 40 Man Roster, next year, or be exposed to a waiver claim. Moreover, he has already had a few years at AAA and has nothing left to prove there. He needs to be given Major League at bats, in order to determine whether, or not, he is worth keeping. Interesting to note that the front office agreed with that reasoning, which is why they changed their minds and brought him up. 

Regarding the length of time that I have argued that they could use a middle of the order left handed bat: Yes, it's been just about as long as they have not had one. I'll probably continue to hope that they find one, until they finally do. Reed is just the next guy up. If he doesn't work, they'll likely try someone else. Moncada is the only viable candidate, but hitting 4TH or 5TH probably isn't the ideal spot for him. Again, the front office seems to be on the same page, with me, regarding this issue. because they keep trying. In any case, it has nothing to do with Robert. They will decide when to bring him up, based upon the kinds of considerations, which have been discussed in this thread, and elsewhere. Many posters have raised valid points, and we all have to just hope that they have a sound plan. 

Edited by Lillian

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

So if they trade these guys, what exactly are you asking Manfred to do, hypothetically?

Take a stand against tanking. There's no reason a team just a few under .500 would trade arguably 3 of its best players with no intent to help this year's team. I would hope he had the power to strip us of a few draft picks next year, maybe our second round, fourth round, sixth round picks. I wouldn't even be upset if he took our first round pick. This would be blatant disregard for winning and teams that face us would have a decided advantage. Anybody with me?

33 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

What case does anyone have against our management for blatant tanking this year?  We're hovering right below .500.

Besides, you don't punish teams for tanking, you change the system to not favor tanking.  Period. 

I said IF we trade those 3 players, three of our best players, with no intent to pursue winning. Winning is the purpose of playing the game. If you don't try to win you are impacting the integrity of the game in many ways: I mean cmon, a couple games under .500 and trading your best 2 bullpen pieces and arguably your best hitter? LOL.

3 hours ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Block the trade for "baseball reasons" apparently 

For integrity of the game. You are actively taking a contender (if we called up Robert and Madrigal) and killing the bullpen and we know how valuable the bullpen is. It's just too obvious. If we were 30 below .500 or whatever we were last year that'd be different.

Edited by greg775

4 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Greg's village idiot act may be the best (and definitely most persistent) troll job I've ever seen. Bravo greg

Nobody ever plays devil's advocate and says, 'what is what greg says is true?' Being close minded is huge these days. Why not expand your horizons and try to figure out where I'm coming from. I'm just totally offended the team wouldn't try to improve on that first half and catch fire with Robert, Eloy, Moncada, Abreu, McCann, Leury and an adequate bullpen and kick some butt and get in the race.

When somebody literally lists our three best players, or three of our top players, and suggests flipping them, believe it or not some fans don't like that. For instance if I had season tickets I'd really be mad.

p.s. There's also no reason we couldn't actually pick up a veteran starter or two from somewhere if we were trying to build on our first half. Hahn's job is so easy it's unreal. He makes the 3 obvious trades (fathom, caulfield, etc could have traded Q, Eaton, etc. for a nice haul) and signs some truly horrible players in offseasons while waiting for the young to get to the bigs.

Not everybody out there lives for losing, and stockpiling alleged talent, folks.

Edited by greg775

47 minutes ago, greg775 said:

For integrity of the game. You are actively taking a contender (if we called up Robert and Madrigal) and killing the bullpen and we know how valuable the bullpen is. It's just too obvious. If we were 30 below .500 or whatever we were last year that'd be different.

Greg...sometimes you deal from a strength to strengthen a weakness.  Not all trades are for prospects.  We traded Tommy John for Dick Allen.  You have to wait to see the deal before hating it.